• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Your favourite seaside terminus UK station (and town)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Penzance itself is a slight anti-climax (and to be fair it doesn’t pretend to be anything special), however the station itself is decent, has a working signal box, and the final approach past St Michaels Mount and along Mount’s Bay is spectacular, at least if you’re looking out of the south side.

I like it more than the more honeypot resorts. It's got some decent pubs and the walks to St Michaels Mount and Mousehole are splendid.

Calthrop

Established Member
No votes for Skegness? Its station is quite spacious and impressive -- and my impression from my two brief visits thereto in my life to date, is that the town is such an archetypically down-market seaside resort, with all that that implies; as to to have for that very reason, a certain element of charm.

Last year I stayed in Lowestoft for two nights.

The station is probably a shadow of its former self as presumably it once had a trainshed, but I was impressed by it, the town and a pleasant enough beach plus reasonably priced spotless accommodation. (It was September, so not your peak season).

I didn't perceive Lowestoft as a "dump", but struggled to remember how to pronounce it. (Ignorant Australians!)
My bolding: recalled concerning the composer Benjamin Britten, born in Lowestoft or anyway its "suburb" Kirkley -- some unkind commentator describing him as "the only person of real celebrity to have emerged from darkest Lowestoft".

Last edited:

Ken H

On Moderation
I like it more than the more honeypot resorts. It's got some decent pubs and the walks to St Michaels Mount and Mousehole are splendid.
The SW coast path runs betwen the railway and the sea. I have never been but I think you can see into Longrock from the path.

Veteran Member
Swanage, then and now. Sentimental reasons really. (The OP didn't specify it had to have a current NR service.)

Whitby when it's not too busy, Weymouth and Scarborough would be high on my list.

Djgr

Established Member
I would say that it is because trains come in and put at one end only....and both platforms have bufferstops.
Yes. I have just read this definition above, but I don't think any trains terminate there at present, although there used to be some in the timetable I recall.

sk688

Blackpool North

Friendly staff , pretty station and a delightful seaside town, what's not to like :D

randyrippley

Established Member
...........and Morecambe. With the Eden Project coming, the latter really does need improving, even if they don't take it back to the old site (which would probably be no bad thing as it's much nearer Eden, though the present station is much nearer most of the rest of the town so it's a bit of a tradeoff).
It'll never go back to the old site, too disruptive to the road network

hermit

Lymington must be one of the most attractive seaside towns at the end of a branch line, and the Town station is fine. Of course the line does go on to the Pier station, which is rudimentary in the extreme.

prod_pep

Established Member
I'm biased as it is my local seaside outpost, but Southport is one of my favourites. Always a nice town with bags of childhood memories and some great watering holes there too. The station itself is impressive, with an excellent overall roof. However, undoubtedly, the Brutalist entrance is a carbuncle not befitting of the town at all.

Of the other two local seaside termini, both stations are a bit grim and shabby nowadays but I do think New Brighton is marginally pleasanter, both as a station and a place. West Kirby has a major scally problem in the evenings in my experience, which is a shame.

Elsewhere, I've visited all the resorts on the 'Coastway' lines and I'd say Eastbourne is my favourite. It's still a genteel, well-heeled sort of place I think, much nicer than Brighton; essentially what Southport is to Blackpool in that sense. The station platforms are a bit tired in places now (as are swathes of stations on the Southern), but I like the building. Bognor is a nice place, Littlehampton's not bad and, although there's not much to do there, I really like Seaford too.

AlbertBeale

Established Member
Another vote for the joys of Brighton and the liveliness and look of the station. (Only downside is that they hid the ticket office some years ago.)

A plus when arriving there is that if, on exiting the front of the station, instead of going down the hill dead ahead of you to get to the centre and the beach, you go down the parallel road slightly to the right (Surrey Street), then 100 yards down (just before the road curves round to join back into the main route) there's a nice pub called the Evening Star. It's quite historic and rather friendly, and always with a new selection of interesting beers whenever I'm in town.

railfan99

Established Member
Not on the UK mainline but the lovely heritage terminus at Minehead has to be up there!

It's my favourite heritage railway: have travelled on it twice in two consecutive years, and became a shareholder.

Hope it survives and (notwithstanding the economy today) eventually prospers, or at least doesn't lose a lot of money every year.

My favourite seaside towns would likely be:
-Southport
-Whitby
-Weymouth
-Brighton

I've not been to Southport, but have been to the others, plus Whitby and a few more that will gradually come to mind.

I didn't think much of Whitby station even though I joined NYMR there on a Sunday, having on Saturday arrived from London and Darlington.

Weymouth is a distant memory but I recall having very poor quality fish and chips, so that's an immediate fail.

Brighton station and the town are quite impressive.

I like Penzance but to me it feels more like a small port town than a seaside town - probably the lack of a beach as you say.

The standout for me has been the pleasant station including the lounge.

Scarborough, Looe, Southport, Felixstowe, Sheringham, St. Ives are some of my favourites that have terminal stations (but some of those have very basic stations). As a good combination of station plus town, I'd put Scarborough at the top of the list.

Have been to Looe (twice) plus the last three (once but St Ives twice), but at Felixstowe did not have time to visit the town or seaside.

Last edited: