• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Your favourite-sounding loco(s)/multiple units(s)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gallafent

Aha, the disproven “no-one mentioned yet” about the Taurus made me do a quick search, and I think I'm right to say that no-one's mentioned yet the Montreal metro stock (MR-73), which plays (approximately) the opening three notes of Aaron Copland's “Fanfare to the Common Man” while pulling away. It's such a characteristic sound that it was adopted as the hustle alarm when that was added … in fact there are two deeper “notes” before, but those aren't usually as easy to hear as the “main” three.

Having said that, a particularly unusual example of this is in this video (link is timestamped) … when you can hear the preceding two “notes” which are often much harder to pick up (they are too brief to notice with a normal MR-73 start). A particularly loud Montreal MR-63 prototype (link to youtube video) …

Per wikipedia:

The Canron-Jeumont chopper 3-car trainset produce an unusually loud 5-tone chorus as the train begins its initial acceleration out of the station. The frequencies used (90 Hz, 120 Hz, 180 Hz, 240 Hz, and 360 Hz) are similar to those produced by the current choppers in the MR-73 trains; this musically appealing sound became a signature of the metro and was later incorporated, by popular demand,[4] into the 3-tone door closing chimes of the MR-73 and AZUR trains.

And a more normal MR-73 tune (link to youtube video)

DerekC

Established Member
If we are talking proper locomotives (ducks to avoid missiles thrown) then an ex-LNER A3 at full chat. But one I recall very well is an ex-LNWR G7 0-8-0 heading north up the WCML with coal empties (I think) - probably recovering from a signal slow. Climbing up to Tring at a steady 25 or so mph with the exhaust coming out in lumps. It echoed round the valley!!

SolomonSouth

On Moderation
If we are talking proper locomotives (ducks to avoid missiles thrown) then an ex-LNER A3 at full chat. But one I recall very well is an ex-LNWR G7 0-8-0 heading north up the WCML with coal empties (I think) - probably recovering from a signal slow. Climbing up to Tring at a steady 25 or so mph with the exhaust coming out in lumps. It echoed round the valley!!
Oh yes steam engines sound spectacular but shame about the pollution they make.

Mat17

Any chance of a link? I missed these in service!

Somewhat muffled and obscured by narration. Many shots sadly are of units idling/coasting into Piccadilly rather than accelerating or being worked hard. However, where acceleration does happen, it's close to the sounds I heard on the DVD I watched, particularly at about 4:20 - puts me in mind of WWII era planes during the blitz.

gallafent

@gallafent but that's merely three notes. A 323 sounds like a formula car accelerating in comparison!!! XD
:) — not familiar, but I think those are a bit like Jubilee Line tube stock, is that right? Anyway, if we're talking excitement rather than musicality, a race car only sounds like something from this planet, whereas a 350 (or other desiro) sounds like something from another planet ;)

SteveM70

Established Member
Just been on the ELR and the exhaust on their Cravens DMU has a lovely crackling, rasping noise, especially heading up the valley and in the tunnels

gallafent

Here's one sounding like an F1 car
Now there's a plan, solving the problem of lugging heavy batteries around in a sports car that has to run hard for well over an hour, just add OHLE to the circuits and pantographs to the cars. F1 electrified in one shot, easy.

37201xoIM

Somewhat muffled and obscured by narration. Many shots sadly are of units idling/coasting into Piccadilly rather than accelerating or being worked hard. However, where acceleration does happen, it's close to the sounds I heard on the DVD I watched, particularly at about 4:20 - puts me in mind of WWII era planes during the blitz.
Thanks - great footage.

Status
Not open for further replies.