• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

General Knowledge Quiz

deltic1989

Established Member
Paul Sidorczuk:1242108 said:
"I remember the look her mother gave us"

The Rock Show

Blink 182.....Was it Mark Hoppus on vocals ?

Correct. Over to you.
The question was originally going to be
"17 without a purpose or direction" but then I remembered the next line included a word that is not appropriate in polite company :D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Welshman

Established Member
Was it the aerial tramway over the harbour which was destroyed when an American naval plane crashed into it?

Welshman

Established Member
Then it would be the shelling of the harbour by a Japanese submarine - the only action seen in the islands.

Welshman

Established Member
What's the next in this sequence, and to what does the sequence refer?

The Surprise
The Miracle
Military

Last edited:

Welshman

Established Member
Sorry - not quite as sophisticated as that. Nothing to do with the Gospels at all.

Last edited:

Ivo

Established Member
Clock? The idea being it is the fourth in a series of symphonies by... I forget who... :?:

There was a recent performance in Bristol whose advertising is what brought this to my attention. Convenient, huh? :)

The clock

They are symphonies by Haydn
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Posted the above without seeing Ivo's post
Happy he has the floor if correct

Welshman

Established Member
Yes, you're both right - "The Clock" is the fourth, named symphony in the "London" series by Joseph Haydn. Well done!

Meridian Richard got the composer, but says he'll be happy to concede, so, over to you, Ivo.

Ivo

Established Member
Okie-dokie then people. This one might make you laugh a bit, but it's actually very difficult (well, not for me ;)).

The world's most popular and famous Pokémon is Pikachu. Everyone and their dog knows that. In practice however, this is entirely due to the anime - so if not Pikachu, who should be the most popular and famous, and why is Pikachu #1 instead?

(A quick hint - it's one of the other 50 found in this list.)

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
The Wartortle.

The only Chelonian native to Northumberland.

Or summat.

(At least its not on a postage stamp :) )

Ivo

Established Member
Good enough. Clefairy was Red's starter in the Pocket Monsters manga because it was supposed to be the mascot. But a late decision among the anime team instilled Pikachu as Ash's starter, and from there the (sometimes) annoying yellow thing became the mascot.

As much as I prefer Clefairy to Pikachu, I think they made the right decision. Clefairy would have been a bit too girly in my opinion.

gnolife

Established Member
Good enough. Clefairy was Red's starter in the Pocket Monsters manga because it was supposed to be the mascot. But a late decision among the anime team instilled Pikachu as Ash's starter, and from there the (sometimes) annoying yellow thing became the mascot.

As much as I prefer Clefairy to Pikachu, I think they made the right decision. Clefairy would have been a bit too girly in my opinion.

I prefer Clefairy to Pikachu too. That said, the only one of the original 151 that I don't prefer to Pikachu is Ditto. I don't see anything good about a pink blob of slime.

I had a question and I've gone and forgotten it, so I'll open floor

Ivo

Established Member
I'm not asking two in a row so someone else can have a go. Unless you all want me to of course?

Was there any connection also with Cleffa and Mt Moon when meteor showers were present?

One of those things we aren't supposed to know the answer to. Being a Second Generation species though, any such link would not have been relevant the first time Ash and friends visited Mt Moon (they later did so again in the mid-2000s). Meteor Showers are almost never mentioned in the canon though, so it isn't as likely as it could be.

I prefer Clefairy to Pikachu too. That said, the only one of the original 151 that I don't prefer to Pikachu is Ditto. I don't see anything good about a pink blob of slime.

How about its ability to transform itself into pretty much anything it sees...?

Golghar

This isn't a specifically philatelic question but I am going use postage stamps to illustrate it.
The name of the country "Norway" ist spelt in two different ways on its postage stamps:
F021_106_z06.gif
F021_106_z04.gif
F021_105_z01.gif

Why is this so?

Heinz57

Now I'm guessing those are Norigian stamps? And not from another country?

I'm going to say that there must be two differant dialects and they both spell it in a differant way?

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Norway was not one of the countries that I collected, but I wonder was the spelling NOREG instead of the usual spelling of NORGE anything to do with respect for certain internal cultural differences in that country, in the same way that stamps from Belgium featured BELGIQUE and BELGIE to commemorate the languages of the Dutch-speaking Flemish people and the French-speaking Walloons people.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Now I'm guessing those are Norigian stamps?

Are you deciding to enter into the sprit of the conundrum by using NORIGIAN instead of NORWEGIAN in your answer...:D