• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

General Knowledge Quiz

Ivo

Established Member
That's a decent enough answer, although I think you've got your century allocations muddled up (14thC = 1300s ;)).

A theory exists that the "immune" French brought it over after Henry VII (as he would soon be known) summoned them to fight for him at Bosworth, which works because it was first documented in 1485. However, other evidence existed that it was too early in 1485 for Henry's men to be the cause.

Roughly speaking, it arrived when Henry VII ascended the throne, and disappeared after Henry VIII died.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Welshman

Established Member
What are the next two in this sequence, and to what does the sequence refer?

Turnhill
Bursley
Hanbridge

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
What are the next two in this sequence, and to what does the sequence refer?

Turnhill
Bursley
Hanbridge

Arnold Bennett wrote his novel about "The Five Towns" about the Potteries area that covers the area now referred to as Stoke-on-Trent.

Turnhill = Tunstall
Bursley = Burslem
Hanbridge = Hanley
Knype = Stoke
Longshaw = Longton

The sixth and "forgotten town" was Fenton. I remember reading "Anna and the Five Towns" when I was in my early years in the late 1950's at grammar school, being one recommended by my English teacher.

Golghar

On William IV's death in 1837 the thrones of the Uk and Hanover were separated as according to the Salic Law as valid in Hanover a woman could not accede to the throne there. A similar situation occurred in Europe once again later in the 19th century. Which countries were these?

deltic1989

Established Member
Why would you not like to be introduced to a brazen bull ?

I wouldn't like to be introduced to a bull full stop, not my favorite creature in the world, but a Brazen Bull is particularly nasty.
If my knowledge of Ancient Greece serves me correctly it was a form of torture /execution, where by the condemned was locked inside a hollow bronze bull and fire lit underneath, so that they slowly roasted.

Heinz57

I'll take up the floor...

Quite a challenging one from me

Ok the following extract is from a mucical...

'Did you hear the story about the Jonstone twins?
Like each other as two new pins,
Of one womb born, on the self same day?
How one was kept and one given away?
And did you never hear how the Jonhstones died,
Never knowing that they shared one name,
Till the day they died, when a mother cried,
My own dear sons lie slain.

Can you name the musical, who it was by, who said the extract and when (as in when in the story)?

Good luck!

The answer to Heinz is
BloodBrothers by Willy Russell
Spoken by the narrator at the start of the play

If correct let Paul's next question stand

Heinz57

You're answer is 100% correct!

It was indeed spoken by the narrator at the start of Blood Brothers. Its actualy one of my more favorite theatre shows, I've been to see it no less than 7 times.

I agree, shall we let Paul's question be the new floor?

Went to see it last week for 4th time

As an educated guess at Paul's

You would see an Itelmen in Russia and be lucky to see one as they are a dying breed

Golghar

So here is my answer to Paul's question: I read Linguistics at University so for me this isn't really general knowledge. I happen to remember that Itelmen is an alternative name for the Kamchadal language and ethnic group on the Kamchatka peninsula. As for being fortunate to see one - I fear this might be because they face total assimilation or even extinction.

Crossposted with Richard - so he get's priority.

Golghar

Just a comment: what Churchill is actually reported to have said was
"It is alarming and also nauseating to see Mr. Gandhi, a seditious middle temple lawyer, now posing as a fakir of a type well known in the east, striding half-naked up the steps of the viceregal palace, while he is still organizing and conducting a defiant campaign of civil disobedience, to parley on equal terms with the representative of the king-emperor."

- Winston Churchill, 1930

Welshman

Established Member
Who is alleged to have referred to questions about his sexuality as being like asking a man who has just crawled across the Sahara desert as to whether he would prefer Perrier or Malvern Mineral Water?

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
I have just remembered that we had a certain Mr A.Bennett (Arnold) as part of a quiz answer in the last day or so, which made me think of another one with that initial and name who may well fit....so I will go for the much more recent one called....Alan Bennett