• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

General Knowledge Quiz

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Golghar

She married Harold Godwin, King of Wessex. I presume she bore him all her children. If I am right I plead for an open floor as I have to be up early tomorrow.

Welshman

Established Member
Which author was vilified by American bankers and landowners for his portrayal of the conditions inflicted on migrant landworkers during the Great Depression, and what is the name of the book?

gnolife

Established Member
Which author was vilified by American bankers and landowners for his portrayal of the conditions inflicted on migrant landworkers during the Great Depression, and what is the name of the book?

Would it be Steinbeck, and Grapes of Wrath?

Welshman

Established Member
Correct on both counts. :D

It was one of the set books for English Literature "O" level in 1965, and made a big impression on me.

gnolife

Established Member
Correct on both counts. :D

It was one of the set books for English Literature "O" level in 1965, and made a big impression on me.

I had Of Mice and Men as my set book for English Literature GCSE in 2010, and really enjoyed it. I've not actually read Grapes of Wrath, although I do have a copy somewhere in my bombsite bedroom.

Oh, and Open Floor.

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
I had Great Expectorations as my set book in '82, a dull tome - although not as bad as Hard Times. I think the war poets and Macbeth helped me pass!

Anyway, continuing the literary theme but with books that are actually readable (not knocking Steinbeck, who's pretty good - but Dickens - bleargh!), Which Trilogy comprises "Long Summer Day", "Post of Honour" and "The Green Gauntlet" - and who was the author?

Welshman

Established Member
I think it's the "Horseman Riding By" trilogy by R.F Delderfield.

If I'm correct, I note I pipped Heinz57 to the post with my last question [#1114], so would he like to post his now?

Last edited:

Heinz57

Sorry about my delay in posting.

I'm going to go ahead and open the floor, I can't remember my question from last night or think of a new one.

So I'll let someone else take up the batton

Golghar

As we are on a railway forum I'll hazard a guess: standing next to a cog-railway.

Though I seem to remember there's something wheel-like that locksmiths use to pick locks. As I am not in a position to commit myself I plead for a open floor, even if one of my hunches is correct.

D6975

Established Member
At the moment, somewhere on the CrossRail route..
I think that's the proper name for those rotary cutting head thingys that they use for boring tunnels.