• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

General Knowledge Quiz

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Golghar

I tried looking it up but got bogged down in the technicalities of textile machinery. However I located this clip on youtube that shows a wheel that controls a shuttle. Could that be a pick-wheel? Of course I'm not taking any credit for the answer.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Again, just visualise what I said before about a large room with many of these machines. Remember "those dark Satanic mills" referred to in the hymn "Jerusalem". I was sure that the mention of many looms in a large room would have given the game away.

I will now give the answer....
The looms that you would be looking at are Lancashire looms that wove millions of yards of cotton cloth which the majority of which was exported. The pick wheel governed the number of picks per inch in the woven cotton cloth produced in the weaving process.

Obviously, I will now have to say...open floor.

Golghar

Margaret Thatcher was the first woman appointed Head of Government in a European country. Which country in Europe was second in this respect? An extra point goes for the name of the Prime Minister in question.

Golghar

Portugal and Maria de Lourdes Pintasilgo are the correct answers. Over to you now, Paul!

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
In the article that I was reading written by an American historian, it appears that he states that the area in question was in a different zone of the Pacific Ocean and that that this question that I set was used by him in a campus quiz at his university, so I trust what he said is true.

martinsh

Established Member
In the article that I was reading written by an American historian, it appears that he states that the area in question was in a different zone of the Pacific Ocean and that that this question that I set was used by him in a campus quiz at his university, so I trust what he said is true.

is it not one of the Aleutian Islands in Alaska ? Don't know about the notable event though ...

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
is it not one of the Aleutian Islands in Alaska ? Don't know about the notable event though ...

Indeed it is. Attu Island is the most westerly of these Aleutian Islands and was notable for being invaded by the Japanese during World War II in an attempt to place a strategic bulwark between Russia and America.

Please set the next one.

Welshman

Established Member
Mark Knopfler's "Sailing to Philadelphia"
Song about Jeremiah Dixon and Charles Mason
The Mason-Dixon line.

Welshman

Established Member
What do the following characters have in common?

Stephano
Archdeacon Grantly
Georgie Pillson.

Welshman

Established Member
Yes - correct. :)
I was going to add "Sir Humphrey Appleby" if a clue were needed, but in the event, it wasn't.

Seacook

I think the author was Ian Livingstone, but I can't recall the title. It will bubble up eventually.

Wizard of Firetop Mountain just came up from my somewhere. That could be it.

Mvann

Nearly correct. There were actually two names as authors. There is sometimes some confusion over the other person.

Seacook

Nearly correct. There were actually two names as authors. There is sometimes some confusion over the other person.

The other would be Steve Jackson (of Games Workshop), not to be confused with the American Steve Jackson of Steve Jackson Games.