• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

£10 fee for stopping a cheque -- a "jolt" for anyone else?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calthrop

Established Member
A recent-ish couple of "General Discussion" threads in which the subject of cheques arose, have been closed to further posting; thus, starting this as a new one.

I (in my mid-seventies) am one of probably not very many people, who enjoy using cheques in circumstances -- not very common nowadays -- when they can be used: for me, a mixture of personal gifts or lack thereof, and contrariness -- I relish the old-fashionedness of the thing. A relevant discovery just made, however, has somewhat "brought me up short". I had been wishing to stop / cancel / "kill off" a cheque which I had written and posted off a couple of weeks ago, in connection with a slightly tangled situation involving senior citizen's bus passes. The staff member at my branch of my bank (Lloyds) informed me that doing thus with a cheque, would involve a £10 fee. Decidedly taken aback, I remarked that this must be a new thing: I have had the process carried out before -- admittedly, the last time was some years ago -- and am certain that then, it carried no financial penalty; certainly not a swingeing £10. The lass responded that the £10 rule had been in place for quite a long time.

Mercifully, stopping the cheque in question was not necessary to avoid possible financial loss -- the intended recipient had made it clear that the payment concerned, was not due to them for any service that they could render: I had just wanted to, neatly, "tie up loose ends". Needless to say, in the circumstances I declined the bank's stopping-the-cheque offer; cheque was for £7.50 -- the recipient's wrongfully helping themself to that amount, would have cost me less than the measure taken to prevent that from happening !

Am wondering whether I am the last person in Britain who has, or will, become aware of this £10 fee for this purpose -- and, whether any other users of the admittedly archaic method concerned, of conveying money; have relatively recently made this unwelcome discovery. I am, for sure, inclined to see it as a decidedly underhand ploy on banks' part (probable scenario of all of them -- not just Lloyds -- engaging in this procedure) to hasten the extinction of the cheque, through making the use of the things more problem-fraught.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Last time I stopped a cheque was about 1998. It cost £10 then, so in real terms that's much cheaper now, maybe £10 now is about £4 then.

In the context I'd either ask for the cheque back and destroy it myself or ask the recipient to destroy it and send me a photo of it torn up or similar.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
When I worked for RBS in the late 00s the fee was £10 unless the stop was due to theft/fraudulent use of the chequebook, in which case it was free and the whole book was stopped.

Calthrop

Established Member
Thanks, both -- interesting. Last time for me that I can recall, was in the latish 2000s. To the best of my memory, I was charged no money then, re doing of the deed; it could be that memory is playing me false, and that in fact I had no reason to be surprised at recent revelation. People often charge me with "having head in the clouds" about sundry practical things.

Circumstances of my current situation, are such that I reckon that I can be certain of the honesty of the other party -- plan to ask them to destroy the cheque; see leaving things at that.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Last time I stopped a cheque was about 1998. It cost £10 then, so in real terms that's much cheaper now, maybe £10 now is about £4 then.

In the context I'd either ask for the cheque back and destroy it myself or ask the recipient to destroy it and send me a photo of it torn up or similar.
Same here. NatWest were certainly charging £10 then and it was quite justified in my view, especially when you could get hit for £25 by going overdrawn without arrangement for one day.

Halwynd

Lloyds don't - or shouldn't - charge a fee for stopping a cheque, at least not according to their website:

Also, it used to be the case that some banks, if not all, which charged a fee for stopping a cheque did not do so if you said that the cheque had been lost. Not sure whether that is still the case, or even whether any bank still charges a fee for stopping a cheque drawn on a personal account.

Calthrop

Established Member
Lloyds don't - or shouldn't - charge a fee for stopping a cheque, at least not according to their website:

Also, it used to be the case that some banks, if not all, which charged a fee for stopping a cheque did not do so if you said that the cheque had been lost. Not sure whether that is still the case, or even whether any bank still charges a fee for stopping a cheque drawn on a personal account.

Once again, thanks to all posters. However -- four responders; three say one thing, the fourth pretty well its polar opposite... ! Am feeling just a touch of the Lewis Carrolls -- "curiuoser and curiouser" ...

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Nope. Just that different banks have different policies.
I've had a Nat West account since the first day of the bank's existence, whereas my late wife was with Lloyd's, and I can confirm they have and had different policies on many things. I'd say Lloyd's are probably the more customer friendly and more of a 'traditional' bank, even now, than any of the others.

Calthrop

Established Member
Over the most-of-sixty-years since I first had a bank account: have patronised the services of three of the "Big Four", plus others. I can't muster much love for banks, in the light of what seems their basic attitude toward their "punters"; still, out of the "big players", I've personally found Lloyds the least bad -- have stayed with them over the past two / three decades, and found the experience essentially OK, though with the occasional rough spot. I've never made any official use of Nat West: when considering possibly opening an account there, a good number of years ago, I received what seemed to me such a "dusty answer" that I swore off any dealings with Nat West, lifelong. (Unfair of me, maybe -- with there having been involved, just one disagreeable-seeming employee of one branch -- but so it has been; such things quite often happen, I'm sure, with competing "outfits" which offer basically the same service.)

Last edited:

Gloster

Established Member
I have always understood that there was a fee for stopping a cheque in most circumstance. I have had accounts since the mid-1970s.

I have been with HSBC since the 1970s and have, with one or two minor problems, found them satisfactory: they were the Midland then, but I sometimes point out that my family was with them when they were the Shanghai Bank. My parents opened my first account with Lloyds (my grandfather is supposed to have been a director long ago), but left after they bounced a cheque because they read the value as ten times its actual one and then, when I complained, gave me a rowlocking in the circulating area of the branch (in everybody’s hearing), before looking at the file and grudgingly admitting their mistake. I was with Barclays for a short while (taking advantage of the best university fresher’s offer), but they managed to mess up two of the few transactions that I made: they then got nasty, even though the root cause was their dilatoriness. (And back in the early 1980s when my parents moved their account from one Barclays branch to another, they just shoved all the various documents (house deeds, insurance, certificates, etc.) in a normal envelope and sent it on in the normal post.

Halwynd

Out of idle lunchtime curiosity I've just checked the main banks for their up to date stopped cheque fees on personal accounts:

NatWest, RBS, Ulster Bank - No fee
Lloyds, Halifax, Bank of Scotland - No fee
Barclays - No fee
HSBC, First Direct - No fee
Nationwide - No fee

It might be different for business accounts.

Perhaps fees for personal accounts were abolished when debit cards took off and cheque useage reduced significantly?

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Out of idle lunchtime curiosity I've just checked the main banks for their up to date stopped cheque fees on personal accounts:

NatWest, RBS, Ulster Bank - No fee
Lloyds, Halifax, Bank of Scotland - No fee
Barclays - No fee
HSBC, First Direct - No fee
Nationwide - No fee

It might be different for business accounts.

Perhaps fees for personal accounts were abolished when debit cards took off and cheque useage reduced significantly?
Are those for stopping cheques online, or in branch? It’s likely to be different.

Halwynd

Are those for stopping cheques online, or in branch? It’s likely to be different.

If there is, there's no differential on the charge tariffs of the banks I mentioned.

Edit - I've just spoken to the manager at my local Lloyds branch and she tells me that a personal cheque can be cancelled by telephone, in-branch with ID, or by using the 'Chat' facility within their App or Online Banking facility. There is no fee for whichever method is chosen.

Last edited:

andrewkeith5

What's a "cheque"?
It’s like that weird paper money stuff we used to have to use with those odd metal discs, except one sheet of the paper money can be worth as much or as little as you want it to be, and all you have to do is write on it how much and who it’s for!

I actually quite like a cheque - feels a bit special to get one. Only real problem nowadays is they can be quite tricky to actually deposit!

najaB

Veteran Member
185 million of them processed in the UK in 2021, even if 32% fewer than the previous year.
Given that there are c. 70 million people in the UK, it's not inconceivable that some people might never/rarely see one though. I happened to deposit a cheque this week, but it was probably the first one I had handled in the last two or three years though!

westv

Established Member
I think the last time I saw a cheque was a decade ago.
Edit: cheque not check!!!

Last edited:

GatwickDepress

Established Member
Only time I use a cheque is at work, and that's just to confirm the amount of cash the store is depositing at NatWest that week.

sannox

Only real problem nowadays is they can be quite tricky to actually deposit!

I'd say it's massively easier nowadays! I used to have to go to a physical place, now I open a phone app, take a picture front and back and the money is there next day usually.

150 million last year. On the way out, but not dead yet. The vast majority I think will be businesses paying each other.

Indeed we get a lot of business cheques as payment via the post. Many customers bank transfer but some businesses still prefer cheques with 2 signatures.

Gloster

Established Member
I still pay for just about everything by cheque or cash, and use cheques to draw cash. I have started to pay my gardener in cash: I was the last person still paying him by cheque and it necessitated a special journey in to town to pay it in. It is much easier to keep tabs on things if you have a cheque stub, rather than an entry on your monthly bank statement which is all too often to some company which has a name nothing like any business you paid out to.

Crossover

Established Member
Given that there are c. 70 million people in the UK, it's not inconceivable that some people might never/rarely see one though. I happened to deposit a cheque this week, but it was probably the first one I had handled in the last two or three years though!
I deposited two yesterday, but that's the first in years and I did it in branch using my card, rather than filling out one of the paying in slips

Only reason was transferring money between accounts and the building society wouldn't do a bank transfer (other institutions did)

Buzby

150 million last year. On the way out, but not dead yet. The vast majority I think will be businesses paying each other
And this would be because? I would have expected this to go the same way, shuffling bits of paper that even the banks now have reduced to a picture image on an app (to pay in). By the same token terms such as ‘Refer to Drawer’ are being consigned to histor.

najaB

Veteran Member
It is much easier to keep tabs on things if you have a cheque stub, rather than an entry on your monthly bank statement which is all too often to some company which has a name nothing like any business you paid out to.
It is much easier *for you* because that's what you are used to and what works for you. On the other hand, I find it much easier to use the app/website since I can easily search through/filter transactions in seconds.

To each their own.

gswindale

It is much easier to keep tabs on things if you have a cheque stub, rather than an entry on your monthly bank statement which is all too often to some company which has a name nothing like any business you paid out to.
So I go into a branch of Joe Bloggs hardware stores and ask to pay by cheque - the request is then made to make payment to John Smith Limited. Now my tendency is to note in the stub the name of the company I'm paying, as I'll check the image of the cheque online and if it differs, then I'd query that, so how would I now know that I've made a purchase at Joe Bloggs?

Not saying that an electronic payment would be any clearer, but the argument for cheques doesn't hold true for all cases.

Gloster

Established Member
So I go into a branch of Joe Bloggs hardware stores and ask to pay by cheque - the request is then made to make payment to John Smith Limited. Now my tendency is to note in the stub the name of the company I'm paying, as I'll check the image of the cheque online and if it differs, then I'd query that, so how would I now know that I've made a purchase at Joe Bloggs?

Not saying that an electronic payment would be any clearer, but the argument for cheques doesn't hold true for all cases.

Well, I adopt the highly original method of filling out my cheque stubs carefully, even if I use abbreviations, so in this case both names would appear, with the name on the cheque first. Anyway, I rarely pay out large cheques: it is usually for cash or subscriptions, memberships, etc. A few years ago I bought a van from a garage for a couple of thousand with cash (a wodge of £50s); unfortunately, when I bought my car from the same place two years ago I had to do a card transfer.

WAB

I actually quite like a cheque - feels a bit special to get one. Only real problem nowadays is they can be quite tricky to actually deposit!
I've found that it's now easier to deposit them than it used to be, funnily! I can go to my local branch and use my card in a machine, feed in the cheque, it detects the amount automatically and I get a photograph of the cheque printed on my receipt. Cheques can also be deposited using my mobile app wherever I go, so even more convenient!

Status
Not open for further replies.