• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

£4bn underground line mooted to connect Southampton and Portsmouth

Status
Not open for further replies.

DerekC

Established Member
Here is a link to a New Civil Engineer article under the above headline.

https://www.newcivilengineer.com/la...-southampton-and-portsmouth-06-07-2022/?tkn=1

Southampton could see a brand new underground rail line as part of £45bn of transport improvements across the South East put forward by the region’s transport body.
A new rail link which would connect Southampton Central with Netley, linking up Portsmouth Harbour and improving capacity on the Botley Line has been outlined by Transport for the South East (TfSE).

The package of intervention outlined in the Strategic Investment Plan for the South East includes a core package of measures and an enhanced rail package for Southampton and Portsmouth which together total £4.6bn in capital construction costs.

The core package includes upgrading the Botley line to twin tracks, adding platforms at Portsmouth Harbour station, improving signalling on the Netley line and Sidings at Totton.

The TfSE plans for an enhanced package, drawn up by Solent Transport, local authorities and Network Rail, identified the tunnel between Southampton Central and St Denys as a key bottle neck in the current rail network. New stations would also be built at Southampton Central and in the city centre.

The consultation paper said: “A longer-term package of interventions is needed to unlock significant capacity and, potentially, shorter journey times between Southampton and Portsmouth City Centres. This could include developing an entirely new rail link (most likely underground) between Southampton Central and the Netley Line”.

The current time to travel from Southampton to Portsmouth averages around 40 minutes. The upgrades can shave up to a quarter of the time off the journeys and allow for services every 15 minutes, a similar frequency to TfL’s London Overground services.

The enhanced package would also include new freight paths to ease congestion on commuter lines. A rail freight hub has been mooted at both Havant and Fratton as well as upgrades to Southampton’s port rail freight facilities.

Much as it is a nice idea, it sounds a bit hopeful in today's economic and railway context!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Looks like a wish list item rather than a proposal likely to be taken forward.

The UK's rail infrastructure budget of about £8bn a year appears to be committed for the foreseeable future to the Integrated Rail Plan already put forward last year

The consultation on the Strategic Investment Plan ended on 12 September.

https://transportforthesoutheast.org.uk/our-work/developing-our-strategic-investment-plan/

Investing in transport to build a better future​

We are delighted to introduce our draft Strategic Investment Plan (SIP) for South East England. This plan provides a framework for investment in strategic transport infrastructure, services, and regulatory interventions in the coming three decades.

This is our draft Strategic Investment Plan.

One big question is whether more stopping services or a faster link is needed between Southampton and Portsmouth.

Last edited:

BrianW

Established Member

https://www.newcivilengineer.com/la...-southampton-and-portsmouth-06-07-2022/?tkn=1

Much as it is a nice idea, it sounds a bit hopeful in today's economic and railway context!
Ah yes' coming around again ... https://www.taylorfrancis.com/chapt...28046-9/fall-rise-solent-city-nicholas-phelps

Solent City, Southern Powerhouse, Southmouth Arc, ...

Mick Hancock for Matt Hancock? At least we got a laugh with Tony Hancock- an armful? Dreaming on.

mike57

Established Member

A bit hopeful is an understatement.

Current journey time is 40mins for ~25 miles (av ~38mph) on the fast service or 1hr on the stopping train. Not the best but comparable with a lot of other similar journeys away from 'inter city' routes, e.g. Nottingham - Derby which is actually slightly slower. The problem is that if you start down this road you would probably come up with 20 or 30 similar schemes, all with similar merit, each one needing multi billion pounds. Whilst I am not against HS2 currently all our eggs seem to be in that basket, and given current state of the economy there isnt going to be anything left for anything else.

CdBrux

is there anything that can be reasonably done to improve the current 40 mins for the 'fast' service?

JohnRegular

is there anything that can be reasonably done to improve the current 40 mins for the 'fast' service?

Using an electric train on the electrified infrastructure might get you a couple of minutes! Hopefully whenever GWR replace the turbos, whatever they get will be able to use the third rail.
Maybe you could skip Cosham, but either way I doubt you'd attract any new custom by shaving a minute or two off the journey time. A higher frequency would be more useful- there might be room in the timetable for an extra tph but I'm not sure.

Cutting out the dogleg via St Denys would be great but something tells me we might be waiting a while!

Much more likely is the doubling of the Botley line. Currently it doesn't take much delay on one train to hold up the service in the other direction. If a new station between Botley and Fareham goes ahead, doubling should be a prerequisite.

Will the tunnel under Funtley need a lot of work to support double track? It's far from the smallest tunnel on the network but it doesn't look quite big enough to me.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
Ultimately the existing line is heavily trafficked and hemmed in, and is far from the straighted alignment ever built.

Given the lack of money for new construction, which would essentially all have to be in tunnel, I'm not hopeful anything meaningful can be done.

SynthD

Can't the existing railway be 4-tracked?
They can barely get freight through the tunnel. Though, once you accept ripping up the road, as this plan seems to require, the existing tunnel can easily be remade while it’s open.

MarkyT

Established Member
Much more likely is the doubling of the Botley line. Currently it doesn't take much delay on one train to hold up the service in the other direction. If a new station between Botley and Fareham goes ahead, doubling should be a prerequisite.
On its own that doesn't really help the Southampton - Portsmouth axis. My idea would be to reroute the limited stop services via the Botley line with a new curve near Eastleigh:
1663966091671.png
Will the tunnel under Funtley need a lot of work to support double track? It's far from the smallest tunnel on the network but it doesn't look quite big enough to me.
The structure has always been a problem. The ground conditions are very poor I understand. Part of it collapsed during construction and hence what was originally designed as one tunnel actually became two, with a short section of retained cutting between them. There was an additional bypass alignment built around the tunnel to the south soon after the original line, but this finally closed in the 1970s and is use as a leisure path today, with some building development on the trackbed. I wouldn't count on ever being able to double through the tunnels, but a (say) 1 km section of single line remaining on an otherwise fully doubled line would probably be manageable. Power supply capacity may still be an issue for an expanded electric service, as it was a late electrification carried out at minimum cost on a similar basis to the Weymouth extension.

PTR 444

Established Member
On its own that doesn't really help the Southampton - Portsmouth axis. My idea would be to reroute the limited stop services via the Botley line with a new curve near Eastleigh:
View attachment 121156
As much as I think this is a great idea, I’m not sure if it will be practical or economical to tunnel directly underneath an active airport and through a depot. It would probably be just as effective to reverse trains at Eastleigh like the few GWR/Southern services do now.

zwk500

Veteran Member
For local services, Eastleigh is probably a signficant traffic source and so would not be worth bypassing. However, rerouting of the Botley Line over your proposed line with a curve to face North would permit a much simplified (and therefore faster) remodelling of Eastleigh station. Also there's an old alignment straight to the Botley Line, so the wiggle to rejoin the alignment could be avoided.

MarkyT

Established Member
As much as I think this is a great idea, I’m not sure if it will be practical or economical to tunnel directly underneath an active airport and through a depot. It would probably be just as effective to reverse trains at Eastleigh like the few GWR/Southern services do now.
Something similar is the new dual carriageway road skirting the eastern end of the runway at Gibraltar International Airport in a tunnel, a project that was begun in 2008 and might finally be completed this year! This should allow the closure of Winston Churchill Avenue as a through route for motor vehicles, a road that crosses right across the middle of the runway on the level!

For local services, Eastleigh is probably a signficant traffic source and so would not be worth bypassing. However, rerouting of the Botley Line over your proposed line with a curve to face North would permit a much simplified (and therefore faster) remodelling of Eastleigh station. Also there's an old alignment straight to the Botley Line, so the wiggle to rejoin the alignment could be avoided.
I was thinking mainly of an alternative route for fast services between Fareham and Southampton which could avoid having to slot between stoppers on the Netley line and be able to gain the potentially lucrative stop at Southampton Airport Parkway, and crucially also increasing stopping train capacity on the Netley line. Stoppers via Botley are mainly/solely Waterloo semi-fasts via Basingstokes today I think, which should definitely still all call at Eastleigh, although your suggestion of a relocated junction further south for this axis would definitely improve matters, potentially allowing Portsmouth to Waterloo trains to access the up side of the station and thus a wider choice of platforms. With my chord, this would create a complete new triangular junction at the north end of the runway.

Last edited:

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
But reversals are inherently bad, inefficient, and add about three hours to every journey. We must spend billions preventing them! :rolleyes:<D

See also: Bradford Crossrail.

PTR 444

Established Member
Besides, an underground line between Soton and Pompey isn’t even enough. What we need is:
  • An urban tram network in Southampton
  • An urban tram network in Portsmouth, including a tunnel to Gosport and conversion of the busway to Fareham
  • A conversion of the existing Netley line to connect the two tram networks together
  • A spur of the newly created “Solent Tram” network from Swanwick to serve a new “Solent Megacity”, located roughly where Chilling substation currently is.
  • Extension of that tram spur underneath Southampton Water to serve the new town being built on Fawley Power Station, then joining up with the Waterside Line.
  • An upgrade of the Botley line to high speed in order for all fast Coastway trains to divert that way
  • A heavy rail tunnel from Fratton to Ryde
  • An extension of the A326 Road from Fawley underneath Southampton Water to Solent Megacity, then back to the M27 at Segensworth.
  • Another road continuing from the A326 to Cowes via a Solent Freedom Tunnel
  • A commercial hovercraft service between Southampton and Pompey
:D

Last edited:

David Dunning

Of course those of us who use Swanwick station would rather fast (use that term loosely) services were not diverted via Botley. The London and Brighton links are very useful and well used (by me)

zwk500

Veteran Member
Don't Southampton and Portsmouth hate each others' guts?
Yes, by all accounts. It's worth noting that Transport for the South East, the proposers of this, seem to be mainly part of East Sussex County Council and their offices are in Lewes.

Recessio

Four billion pounds? Christ alive... That's got about a snowball's chance in hell of ever happening. I think you'd struggle to get a £4bn system built today even if it was in a bigger city like Bristol or Leeds, no offense to Southampton or Portsmouth...

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Four billion pounds? Christ alive... That's got about a snowball's chance in hell of ever happening. I think you'd struggle to get a £4bn system built today even if it was in a bigger city like Bristol or Leeds, no offense to Southampton or Portsmouth...
£4 billion is probably an underestimate of the cost as well. Is it clear how the route would interact with existing stations?

The Golborne Link was stated to save £3 billion from the cost of HS2 through an easier part of the country in which to build new railway.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Don't Southampton and Portsmouth hate each others' guts?
I think hate is strong. Maybe totally uninterested, or ambivalent ? It’s one of these end to end journeys emphasised by rail fans but possibly not actually used or needed so much in the real world.

zwk500

Veteran Member
I think hate is strong. Maybe totally uninterested, or ambivalent ? It’s one of these end to end journeys emphasised by rail fans but possibly not actually used or needed so much in the real world.
The hate was strong enough that when Portsmouth's Spinnaker tower was illuminated in red because of a commercial sponsorship, the footballing rivalry was strong enough (Southampton play in Red & White, Portsmouth in blue) to mobilise enough Portsmouth Residents that the colours were changed.
Ambivalence may be a more representative term for the majority of interction, though. The two cities deal with largely different trades (Portsmouth predominantly Passenger/Ro-Ro freight, Southampton, containerised and general cargo traffic) and travel between the two is limited, from what friends who've lived in one or the other have told me.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
[…]
Ambivalence may be a more representative term for the majority of interction, though. The two cities deal with largely different trades (Portsmouth predominantly Passenger/Ro-Ro freight, Southampton, containerised and general cargo traffic) and travel between the two is limited, from what friends who've lived in one or the other have told me.
I’ve lived a few miles due north of Fareham for over 40 years now, no train service as I’d have needed the Meon Valley line to be open. Portsmouth, Southampton and Winchester are all similar distances, so it’s sort of neutral territory! But although neighbours work all over the area, with possibly a slight majority in Portsmouth, in my experience nobody really commutes locally by train. I think if you actually lived on Portsea Island, or in Southampton itself, there’d not be many reasons to go to the “other place” - although Southampton’s probably got the better range of shopping.

Last edited:

zwk500

Veteran Member
I’ve lived a few miles due north of Fareham for over 40 years now, no train service as I’d have needed the Meon Valley line to be open. Portsmouth, Southampton and Winchester are all similar distances, so it’s sort of neutral territory! But although neighbours work all over the area, with possibly a slight majority in Portsmouth, in my experience nobody really commutes locally by train. I think if you actually lived on Portsea Island, or in Southampton itself, there’d not be many reasons to go to the “other place” - although Southampton’s probably got the better range of shopping.
This was my understanding of the Solent area travel as well - people living in between each place may well go to both, but actual Centre-to-centre travel between the 2 cities is quite small. This whole proposal seems to be a bit of professional-veneer crayoning to generate headlines and put pressure on the govt to give some money to the SE when they're looking at which projects to proceed with.

nw1

Established Member
This was my understanding of the Solent area travel as well - people living in between each place may well go to both, but actual Centre-to-centre travel between the 2 cities is quite small. This whole proposal seems to be a bit of professional-veneer crayoning to generate headlines and put pressure on the govt to give some money to the SE when they're looking at which projects to proceed with.

Not so sure, I do think people commute for work purposes, i.e. live in one city and work in the other - or to attend regional social/professional events that might only be taking place in one of the two cities.

I think a tunnel is a bit unrealistic (!!) but I do think there could be one additional train an hour between the two cities (a semi-fast). Could call at St Denys, Woolston, Netley, Swanwick, Fareham, Cosham, Fratton, and PSS. Such a service would provide two fast-ish services between the two cities and would also restore 2tph for the medium-sized intermediate stations, something last seen in 1983.

I think the new SWR timetable for Dec 2018 included such a service. Could one be added again? I do note the turnaround for the all-stations at the Portsmouth end is very long so perhaps only two extra diagrams would be needed if the semi-fast and slow interworked.

The geography is the main problem. There is a fairly extensive area of moderately-high ground along the shortest path, so the railway lines either have to go around the south of it (the coast route) or the north (the Botley route).

Of course if they had built a railway diverging from the mainline in the Swaythling area, and then heading through West End and central Hedge End and on to Fareham joining the existing line somewhere SE of Botley, we could have had a somewhat quicker journey I suspect. But they didn't (and I'm not suggesting building a brand new line!)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.