• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

‘Hitching’ a Lift on Freight Trains — A Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ploughman

Established Member
From the BBC News site today . A possible example of what happens now in the UK
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-47658137

Two men found dead on train tracks had been on top of a freight train wagon, police have said.

They were found after police were called to the line between Hackney Wick and Stratford in east London in the early hours of Thursday.

British Transport Police said a 27-year-old man from Clerkenwell and a 25-year-old man from Aberystwyth sustained serious electrical burns.

Suggestions are possible Train Surfing or Graffiti.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Highlandspring

Established Member
Oddly enough there has been a report of someone riding on a ballast train round the Edinburgh Suburban line about an hour ago; I can’t remember the last time there was a report of this type of thing in Scotland....

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Just recall an issue on LT where one Sat night , awaiting the last District to Wimbledon , one of LT's sublime battery loco hauled engineer trains (from Lillie Bridge) - stopped in the platform. There were 2 low open wagons loaded with sand so a pair of pissed Sloane Rangers climbed on board and had a sand flicking fight. Regrettably for them - there were about 6 tough LT track men on board , who took the possible delay to their work train rather seriously. The sound of the distress signal from the LT air whistles was rather stirring. This pair were put on the street rather firmly.

Jonny

Established Member
Oddly enough there has been a report of someone riding on a ballast train round the Edinburgh Suburban line about an hour ago; I can’t remember the last time there was a report of this type of thing in Scotland....

Probably because the media forgot to suppress the report (so that others don't get the idea).

Jonny

Established Member
May I recommend a series by "Brave Dave" on youtube where Dave travels 4900km across Canada on freight trains. The listing of the four parts on youtube are here https://www.freighthopping.com/big-fat-freight-hop-2016/ (4 parts as the whole thing is about 2 hours). There are similar videos on youtube, but I find this one particularly well made.

I believe that he was refused admission on a subsequent trip to Canada.

Paul180

May I recommend a series by "Brave Dave" on youtube where Dave travels 4900km across Canada on freight trains. The listing of the four parts on youtube are here https://www.freighthopping.com/big-fat-freight-hop-2016/ (4 parts as the whole thing is about 2 hours). There are similar videos on youtube, but I find this one particularly well made.

He is now effectively band from Canada and the USA now because of that

Dr_Paul

Established Member
My father and his best man did in their teens - used to hitch a ride from about Fulwood and Cadley into Preston Station then jump off and wave cheekily to the man in the guard wagon

Not on the way to your dad's wedding, one hopes.

Mogster

The Freightliner container trains pass through Manchester Oxford Road’s platforms very slowly, sometimes being held up at the signals. It would be very easy to step on to one of the empty wagons, it’s almost tempting... but stupid and potentially very dangerous of course...

Mathew S

Established Member
Probably because the media forgot to suppress the report (so that others don't get the idea).
I hate to spoil your fun, but no reason any media outlet would 'suppress' something like that.

Mathew S

Established Member
The Freightliner container trains pass through Manchester Oxford Road’s platforms very slowly, sometimes being held up at the signals. It would be very easy to step on to one of the empty wagons, it’s almost tempting... but stupid and potentially very dangerous of course...
It is very tempting indeed, and would be very easy to do. Stupid, but easy to do.

Harbornite

Established Member
An unfortunate event for all involved but we all know the saying about playing stupid games...

Or to quote Max and Paddy, 'play with feathers, you get your a*** tickled'.

furnessvale

Established Member
I don't know just how common it is, but quite a few refugees are apparently catching freight trains from Italy to Germany.
A lorry driver friend of my brother was in Calais when another driver told him he had just seen two illegals entering the back of his lorry.

Unconcerned he replied, "nothing of value in there, and I'm on my way to Italy".

algytaylor

my dad thumbed a lift from (I think) Worcester from a kindly driver back in the 70s after missing the last passenger train. driver stopped at some junction somewhere in the Cotswolds so they could continue by foot

6Gman

Established Member
Certainly happened in the 1970s when brake vans were the norm.

Back in the 60s we (my two parents, my brother and I) somehow got stranded at Georgemas Junction.

We were transported to Thurso in a goods brake hauled by a 26.

To this day I don't know whether it was a booked move or a special for our benefit.

(My father was a driver - albeit a long way from Georgemas Junction! - so may have been able to be more persuasive than the average Joe.)

big all

On Moderation
used to get the wee bu66ers surfing on the outside off the back cabs on 455 and 456s between west norwood gipsy hill crystal palace birbeck and norwood juction around 1990
they would never start at norwood juction for obvious reasons
you would never know they where there unless you where passing a train the other way and they peeked round the back and you seen them
or you caught them hovering near the back via the camera or mirror when departing the station

Rick1984

The Freightliner container trains pass through Manchester Oxford Road’s platforms very slowly, sometimes being held up at the signals. It would be very easy to step on to one of the empty wagons
I thought exactly this when a container train stopped at Eastleigh

Shaw S Hunter

Established Member
Hopping freight trains was indeed once quite common in the US though the security clampdown following 9/11 has made it much harder to do. But there are some significant differences between the US and here when it comes to freight hopping.

Firstly our railways are largely fenced off from the outside environment making access to stationary freight trains very difficult unlike the US where fences are unusual and avoiding the railway police patrols is the biggest obstacle: as suggested above since 9/11 such patrols are much more enthusiastic than used to be the case. Secondly many US freightcars are relatively rideable, ie climbing on/off them from/to ground level is often facilitated by suitable steps/handrails (provided for the convenience of yard staff) and the vehicles themselves may well have a place where it is possible to ride with a degree of shelter, if not real comfort, while also being able to take in the passing views. Very few such vehicles exist here. Thirdly the US is a big country where railway lines spend a lot of time away from human activity, not to mention a lack of passenger stations, meaning unofficial riders have a reasonable possibility of avoiding detection. That's definitely not the case here; even if you could find a way to get on a freight without injuring/maiming/killing yourself you would likely spend most of the journey trying to stay hidden from view given the number of stations or adjacent roads on the network: it would not be any fun!

On a visit to the US some 20 or so years ago I was able to purchase a book entitled "Hopping Freight Trains In America" which provided a great deal of insight into the dos and don'ts of the activity. But it also made it clear that attempting it here is largely pointless, the conditions are just too unfavourable.

JonathanH

Veteran Member

North London Line from Willesden Junction to Stratford must be feasible on container flats given slow passage of Freightliner trains through these stations. Clearly you'd be spotted at some point.

mrmartin

Yeah I've often wondered about that waiting at highbury and Islington. Freight goes through slowly enough to jump on and off.

delt1c

Established Member
Rode in brakevan a few times from Bathgate to Airdrie (with Guards agreement a few times in the 70's.

Brian M

image.jpeg
Back in the 60s we (my two parents, my brother and I) somehow got stranded at Georgemas Junction.

We were transported to Thurso in a goods brake hauled by a 26.

To this day I don't know whether it was a booked move or a special for our benefit.

(My father was a driver - albeit a long way from Georgemas Junction! - so may have been able to be more persuasive than the average Joe.)

Here is an Edmondson ticket from the BR(H) region that was officially issued for travel by Goods Train.
The reverse side states conditions for travel, non-liability for any injury, etc., and finishes with "........ must travel in the Goods Van. I agree to the above terms. Signed. . . . . . Passenger"

Dr_Paul

Established Member
Firstly our railways are largely fenced off from the outside environment making access to stationary freight trains very difficult unlike the US where fences are unusual and avoiding the railway police patrols is the biggest obstacle... Secondly many US freightcars are relatively rideable, ie climbing on/off them from/to ground level is often facilitated by suitable steps/handrails (provided for the convenience of yard staff) and the vehicles themselves may well have a place where it is possible to ride with a degree of shelter, if not real comfort, while also being able to take in the passing views. Very few such vehicles exist here.

That's what I was thinking: conditions out there are more favourable.

North London Line from Willesden Junction to Stratford must be feasible on container flats given slow passage of Freightliner trains through these stations. Clearly you'd be spotted at some point.

With the small number of railway staff actually on platforms these days and the rarity of old-style signal boxes next to the track, there would be fewer chances of being observed these days. A lot of passengers on the platform, I suspect, would merely note an unauthorised traveller on a container flat-wagon and leave it at that, and not report the incident to the authorities.

Status
Not open for further replies.