• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

“Better than average” Wetherspoons

dangie

Established Member
The Royal Hop Pole in Tewkesbury is outstanding IMO. It is a nice old building and the food and drink is above average.…
I’ve been in there once, over 10 years ago. I agree it was a lovely building both inside and out if I remember correctly. I did think though the interior lighting could have been better, it was quite dull. This of course may be much better now.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Benters

With the current rainfall & flooding they must be getting a bit worried…..
When the Picture House was refurbished after the last flood, they fitted flood defences akin to those on the Severn at Shrewsbury, so it should be OK now the Sow has flooded most of Stafford town centre (Victoria Park, Sainsbury's car parks, Queensway westbound, Silkmore Lane)

Enthusiast

... it's not rocket science to read 'Wetherspoon' off the menu or website or Google search, surely...
Possibly not. Here's a photo, which is not of one of Mr Martin's establishments, the "Weatherspoons" in Puerto del Carmen, Lanzarote:

Wethers.PNG

12LDA28C

Established Member
Unbelievable that people still fall for it and don’t even notice the mis-spelling. One of my pet hates.

I would be very surprised if anyone actually believed that was a real Wetherspoon pub. Clearly it's a rip-off but as long as it sells cheap beer in line with the original chain, would anyone care, apart from the JDW legal team?

Rather different to some idiot creating a check-in for an actual Wetherspoon pub and getting the spelling wrong. That demonstrates a new level of stupid.

dk1

Veteran Member
I would be very surprised if anyone actually believed that was a real Wetherspoon pub. Clearly it's a rip-off but as long as it sells cheap beer in line with the original chain, would anyone care, apart from the JDW legal team?

Rather different to some idiot creating a check-in for an actual Wetherspoon pub and getting the spelling wrong. That demonstrates a new level of stupid.

It happens on the Wetherspoon Appreciation Society Facebook page. I can’t bring myself to ‘like’ let alone look at it then. Just seems beyond lazy.

Trackman

Established Member
Llandudno is nice and Colwyn Bay is a mini version. The one in the old Corn Market in Bury St Edmonds and the Tythe Barn in St Albans and the Caley Picture House in Edinburgh. And that one in Baker Street station!
How long as the Colwyn Bay 'spoons been open?

Anyway in my neck of the woods 'spoons ratings:
1. Bromley (Greyhound one)
2. Lewisham
3. Catford

All better than going to a Young's pub and paying a King's ransom for a pint and a lunchtime snack.

1D54

2. Lewisham
3. Catford

All better than going to a Young's pub and paying a King's ransom for a pint and a lunchtime snack.
October 98. Featured a couple of years ago on a C5 documentary about famous people on the dole and Bruce Jones (Les Battersby, Corrie) was drinking in there.

ian1944

Another two likes in converted cinemas, Foot Of the Walk in Leith and David Macbeth Moir in Musselburgh. I don't drink ale in pubs so can't comment on that side, but the latter is in the Good Beer Guide 2023 for whatever that's worth. I use JDW for veggie brek and/or coffee, and these two are in the Top Plates, Low Rates pricing group, with brek at less than half the normal price elsewhere and coffee currently £1.02, with free unpoliced topup.

Spamcan81

Another cinema conversion, The Regal in Cambridge is half decent. A table on the mezzanine can let you escape the hubbub of the ground floor.
Sandford House in Huntingdon is a rather nice Grade II listed building combining a former chapel and a former Post Office (formerly a private residence). Certainly no riff riff when I was in there a few weeks ago.

Established Member
The Mossy Well in Muswell Hill, London. It's in the former Express Dairy building and tends to have a good range of ales.

317 forever

Established Member

2. Lewisham
3. Catford

I used the Wetherspoons in Bromley the Sunday of the August Bank Holiday weekend in 2021. This was in part because the Caffe Nero was closed that day, maybe through staff isolating as that was the time of the "pingdemic".

Jamesrob637

Established Member
For architecture:

The Winter Gardens in Harrogate
The Imperial in Exeter
The Coronet in Holloway near Arsenal's ground, sadly closing in just under four weeks' time
The Counting House Glasgow

And for the staff:

My old local, the Gateway in Didsbury because they personally apologised to me about a mix-up (which might have seen me barred, however I was completely innocent)
My new local, the Wilfred Wood Hazel Grove

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
It's funny how places with two JDWs often manage to filter all the problem customers towards one of them, leaving the other relatively calm. I mentioned Huddersfield previously, where the Cherry Tree on John William Street is a bit of a dive, but the Lord Wilson on King Street is more pleasant (unless it's Freshers Week at the nearby Uni). Taunton was similar when I lived there with the Perkin Warbeck on East Street being rough, and the Coal Orchard on the north side of the Tone being a bit nicer. A quick google tells me that the Coal Orchard is no longer a Spoons, and that the Perkin Warbeck has been smartened up a bit with some decent reviews and (fittingly) some mentions in articles about "nice Wetherspoons".
Mansfield is another, with the Court House in the middle of the town centre being rough and closing at 9pm as a result, and the Stag & Pheasant, on the edge of the town centre being nicer. There seems to be some correlation between proximity to the main shopping area (and curiously the bus station) and roughness, but I couldn't possibly comment on that!

1D54

In Leicester they had a policy, albeit many years ago, of banned from one, banned from all.

Established Member
My favourite Wetherspoons at the moment has to be The Bull and Stirrup, Chester. I think it's a really good blend of a homely pub and a bar with a really good outside seating area, too. It doesn't feel claustrophobic like the nearby The Square Bottle either, which is another reason I much prefer The Bull and Stirrup. The location is also really handy with it being a few minutes' walk from the bus station, which will be rather useful for me in the near future...

gomango

Falkirk Wetherspoons is Great, old fashioned and always get a massive portion of everything

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Never been there, but the Sedge Lynn in Chorlton has a different look about it.

I prefer it to the Gateway in Didsbury, but both require a car or bus journey now. My local, the Wilfred Wood in Hazel Grove, is just nondescript. Middle of the road in all senses. I only go there most weeks because of a pub quiz that takes place there.

kw12

I prefer it to the Gateway in Didsbury, but both require a car or bus journey now. My local, the Wilfred Wood in Hazel Grove, is just nondescript. Middle of the road in all senses. I only go there most weeks because of a pub quiz that takes place there.
I visited The Sedge Lynn and Gateway earlier this month for the first time. I used Metrolink to visit both of them, as they are both near tram stops, plus the Gateway is also near East Didsbury station, from which I caught a train afterwards.

Enthusiast

I believe JDW is to open a new outlet in the former Lloyds Bank in the Strand, opposite the Royal Courts of Justice:

This will be handy. My very first job was at 99 Aldwych, just across the road from there and I had a bank account opened for me by my new employer at that branch. I seem to recall some years later, having moved on, that I'd left about £2-18s-4d in my account. I'll make enquiries when I pop into the new pub for a pint. Hopefully it will still be in the vault and it might buy me half of Abbott. 8-)

jon81uk

I believe JDW is to open a new outlet in the former Lloyds Bank in the Strand, opposite the Royal Courts of Justice:

This will be handy. My very first job was at 99 Aldwych, just across the road from there and I had a bank account opened for me by my new employer at that branch. I seem to recall some years later, having moved on, that I'd left about £2-18s-4d in my account. I'll make enquiries when I pop into the new pub for a pint. Hopefully it will still be in the vault and it might buy me half of Abbott. 8-)
That article is three years old and there has been no sign of any construction. Its still possible, especially as JDW gave up the nearby Knights Templar, but they seem to be downsizing within London.

Buzby

Falkirk Wetherspoons is Great, old fashioned and always get a massive portion of everything
Funny - I always found that portion control was unyielding - it would be the same as the menu picture with no variances in quantity or components (although the quality is always good). One thing to watch out for up here is some outlets (in touristy areas) proclaim a ‘Traditional’ Breakfast. Whilst others offer ‘Scottish Breakfast’ - it’s either/or no chance to choose. The only difference I can see is the Hash Browns are dropped in favour of Black Pudding and a Potato Scone. No idea why when they’re all in Scotland!

Enthusiast

That article is three years old and there has been no sign of any construction. Its still possible, especially as JDW gave up the nearby Knights Templar, but they seem to be downsizing within London.
No there isn't. I walk past that place once or twice a month and it is desolate. I stumbled across the article when I was trying to find details of another (rumoured) JDW development in The Strand, which was said to be "next to Charing Cross Station". I can't find anything out about that either and again, walking that way occasionally, I cannot see even where it might be.

Andrew S

They are opening a new outlet on the Euston Road in January. I can't see any obvious vacant premises near Charing Cross.

Acfb

I've been to various Wetherspoons, mainly between 2014-16. The Bridge House in Belfast was the last one I went to a couple of years ago and that was very busy. I'm not sure what criteria we're using exactly. The Kingfisher in Poynton is probably the newest one I've been to. Most of the others I've been to in Buxton, Edinburgh, Musselburgh, Perth etc have been pretty middle of the road although I didn't particularly like the Foot of the Walk one. I quite liked the Cross Keys in Peebles as there were some really nice railway photos on the walls.