• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

“Better than average” Wetherspoons

AndrewE

Established Member
I was totally unimpressed by the one in Greenock. Admittedly I haven't been since before lockdown....but on my last visit they didn't even have any cask ales on sale.
I have never found that, although it has happened in other pubs which said they had it on Whatpub.
The Helensburgh Spoons was OK when I went there, but admittedly that was pre-Covid too.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

KT550

I can see pubs in places like Rutherglen, Cambuslang, Kirkintilloch, for example and wondered about those. If anyone has any personal knowledge, it would be appreciated.

I've been to the ones in Rutherglen and Cambuslang; neither were very special.

A friend of mine lives near Kirkintilloch and says good things of the Kirky Puffer, so that might be worth a look.

D6130

Established Member
I've been to the ones in Rutherglen and Cambuslang; neither were very special.

A friend of mine lives near Kirkintilloch and says good things of the Kirky Puffer, so that might be worth a look.
Perhaps you should ask @Buzby ? I believe that the Kirky Puffer is his local....although he will likely be familiar with the others in and around Glasgow.

Red Onion

I was totally unimpressed by the one in Greenock. Admittedly I haven't been since before lockdown....but on my last visit they didn't even have any cask ales on sale.

That‘s really the only reason I go into a ‘spoons!

Buzby

The Puffer is fine - the building used to be the old Kirkintilloch Police Station, and converted to retail (if was refurbished last year). I cannot comment of the beer selections but I’ve not heard many complaints - and the pricing is (slightly) lower than the main city locations 6 miles away.

Pemberton

Thanks everyone. I think I'm persuaded on Kirkintilloch then. Oddly, I used to do occasional work for an accountancy company and I had to attend a meeting in Glasgow some 20 years ago. It was on the night of the Champions League Final being held in Glasgow and the nearest hotel they could find me was in Kirkintilloch. Memories are a bit sketchy, though that does give me the slightest of connections with Kirkintilloch, which is good.

Buzby

I’m only aware of one hotel in Kirkintilloch - ‘Smiths Hotel’ it is also known as the Broadcroft (following a winding up petition from HMC&E in 2015) which is around 2 mins walk from ‘Spoons !

NorthOxonian

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Thanks everyone. I think I'm persuaded on Kirkintilloch then. Oddly, I used to do occasional work for an accountancy company and I had to attend a meeting in Glasgow some 20 years ago. It was on the night of the Champions League Final being held in Glasgow and the nearest hotel they could find me was in Kirkintilloch. Memories are a bit sketchy, though that does give me the slightest of connections with Kirkintilloch, which is good.
It's a very pleasant town. If I were you I'd have a little wander along the canal that runs through the town centre; there's a lovely aqueduct and it is all surprisingly scenic for being so close to town. The Spoons is handily right next to where the main street crosses this canal!

Pemberton

A Google search shows it must have been 15th May 2002, the same night of the Champions League Final. I struggled to find a taxi to take me to Kirkintilloch from Glasgow Central station as they just wanted to take people to the football. The accountancy firm were shocked at the taxi fare which I remember even now as being £25. A rip off apparently. I honestly can't remember the hotel, just having a room next to a door that opened and closed often throughout the night. Anyway, I'm thinking the 2 Wetherspoon's around Paisley that I can see, The Last Post and The Lord of the Isles to get from 597 to 599 and then Kirkintilloch the next morning.

Buzby

Not just the aqueduct, but the fact there are multiple crossings - firstly Luggie Water flows south to north as a tributary of the River Kelvin, then above that the Campsie Branch of the Edinburgh & Glasgow Railway - complete with some track, to be topped off with the aqueduct containing the Forth & Clyde Canal itself. There are steps down from the towpath to see the other levels and well worth a visit!

D6130

Established Member
A Google search shows it must have been 15th May 2002, the same night of the Champions League Final. I struggled to find a taxi to take me to Kirkintilloch from Glasgow Central station as they just wanted to take people to the football. The accountancy firm were shocked at the taxi fare which I remember even now as being £25. A rip off apparently. I honestly can't remember the hotel, just having a room next to a door that opened and closed often throughout the night. Anyway, I'm thinking the 2 Wetherspoon's around Paisley that I can see, The Last Post and The Lord of the Isles to get from 597 to 599 and then Kirkintilloch the next morning.
You would have been better advised to take a train from Queen Street to Lenzie and then a local taxi for the short hop into the Town centre.

johntea

Established Member
Apparently a Spoons is heading to Waterloo station as part of The Sidings this summer, Tim Martin has also mentioned he is keen to expand the city station estate in general

From my neck of the woods some 'odd' closure choices recently though, Sir Norman Rae in Shipley and The White Hart in Todmorden

Ashley Hill

Established Member
Apparently a Spoons is heading to Waterloo station as part of The Sidings this summer, Tim Martin has also mentioned he is keen to expand the city station estate in general

From my neck of the woods some 'odd' closure choices recently though, Sir Norman Rae in Shipley and The White Hart in Todmorden
Shame,that won’t do the Hole in the Wall much good :(.

D6130

Established Member
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that they were both leased properties rather than owned outright by JDW. Perhaps the rent was increased to an unsustainable level?

IanD

Established Member
I have never found that, although it has happened in other pubs which said they had it on Whatpub.
The Helensburgh Spoons was OK when I went there, but admittedly that was pre-Covid too.
WhatPub gives an idea that real ale is generally available but with all pubs there is always the chance they have run out of cask. The 'Spoons app is good for checking availability as it is supposed to be updated in more or less real time.

I quite liked the Paddle Steamer in Largs but mainly for the view rather than the building.

The Last Post in Paisley was a decent conversion of the old post office.

ian1944

I concur in the recommendation of the Kirky Puffer, a nice pub in a nice town. I visited a few years ago by bus from Glasgow, combined with the Carrick Stone in Cumbernauld, which I also liked (the JDW, not the town - Cumbernauld town centre is an absolute hole, rivals Rhyl as the place where they'd put the syringe if the UK needed an enema).

dk1

Veteran Member
Just flown over to Dublin to clear the 6 around the City area and stay at Keavan’s Port Hotel. Very impressed with all of them. They don’t do things by half across the Irish Sea.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Just flown over to Dublin to clear the 6 around the City area and stay at Keavan’s Port Hotel. Very impressed with all of them. They don’t do things by half across the Irish Sea.

What did you think of the Forty Foot and Dun Laoghaire?

317 forever

Established Member

Also in West Yorkshire, I was disappointed that the one in Halifax, opposite the bus station, had been sold.

dk1

Veteran Member
.....but the other one in Halifax - the Barum Top - is still open, as are the Commercial in Sowerby Bridge and the Richard Oastler in Brighouse.

Yes there all good it’s just I preffered the Percy Shaw. Up high, modern and the views were impressive.

Russel

The Jolie Brise in Teignmouth, just a few minutes from the station has always been decent whenever I've visited.

The Playhouse in Colchester on the other hand, lovely building and very unique, but service was atrocious, uncleared tables everywhere and food took 30 minutes to arrive and even then they forgot the drinks I'd ordered via the app at the same time, when I went to the bar to say we hadn't received them, they asked if I would like to buy them now!

317 forever

Established Member
.....but the other one in Halifax - the Barum Top - is still open, as are the Commercial in Sowerby Bridge and the Richard Oastler in Brighouse.
The other one in Halifax is not in such a convenient location. I did see the one in Brighouse though.

Pemberton

We enjoyed our trip to the areas around Glasgow and after visiting the Wetherspoon's at Paisley and next to The Braehead Centre, we took up the suggestion of Kirkintilloch for our 600th visit and it was a nice pub. The weather was great for all 3 days and we added the Wetherspoon's pubs at Cumbernauld, Motherwell, Wishaw, Rutherglen, Cambuslang and East Kilbride as well. I thought the one to stand out was The John Fairweather at Cambuslang for the building with notables mentions for another couple, Paisley and Rutherglen.