• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

0925 National Express Glasgow-London service query

Status
Not open for further replies.

Class 33

Established Member
I'm looking at doing a trip up to Edinburgh in a couple of weeks. Getting the Caledonian Sleeper up there. I was looking at getting the coach back though, as National Express currently have a bargain fare of just £18.80 from Edinburgh to Bristol via a change at London Victoria. Was just wondering if anyone has any experience of using this service on a weekday and how busy it gets? Is it likely I would be able to get 2 seats to myself for the whole or most of the journey or would that be a bit iffy or unlikely? It's a long 11 hour journey, which I wouldn't mind actually. Though wouldn't be so comfortable if another passenger would be next to me for all or most of that journey. So just looking for any info as to how busy it usually gets. Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

cambsy

On Moderation
I dont know this service, but on my travels with National Express, over past 6 months or so since lockdown I have not been squashed up next to someone, most coaches would say 50 percent full max, though my main routes been 404-406-504-040-106, so mainly south West to London, but I would say you should be ok have seat next to you free.

TXMISTA

London - Bristol is always well loaded in my experience, I try to pay for a premium seat on the 040 service when available and that usually guarantees two seats to myself. I'm not sure about Edinburgh - London.

Class 33

Established Member
Thanks for your replies camsby and TXMISTA. Any further replies from anyone welcome too.

Still not decided what to do yet. It's a tricky one. The current National Express fare of £18.80 for that day in March is a bargain. And the Edinburgh-London leg of the journey would be a journey I've not done before by coach, so would give me different scenery to see compared to the train to London King's Cross which I've done a few times already. But hmmm.... there is a chance I might not have the comfort of two seats to myself for all or at least most of the journey.

Unlike the numerous coach journeys I've done between Bristol and London and Birmingham where the services are non-stop(or just one intermediate stop at Bristol UWE), this service does make a number of intermediate stops - Berwick Upon Tweed, Alnmouth, Newcastle Upon Tyne, Darlington, Leeds, Sheffield, Milton Keynes and London Golder's Green. Plus of course it would have already come from Glasgow too.

Alternatively I could get an 0845 service from Edinburgh and changing at Birmingham. Which might not be quite so busy.

I think I'll look on the National Express website late Sunday night to see how many seats there are available for these two services for the Monday. Should give me a good idea for how busy it will be for 2 weeks later.

Last edited:

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
At that price you could perhaps just buy two tickets for yourself to be sure to have space.

Price might go down or up in the meantime.

route101

Established Member
I have taken this route in the other direction during the day. The 591 I believe, the extension to and from Glasgow is a more recent development. I recall the service being busy but got a pair of seats to myself.

I find the overnights to Glasgow busier than the day time services in my experience on both Megabus and National Express. There used to a direct Edinburgh to Bristol overnight service too.

My recent experience of NX is on the 032 route to Southampton, they have been just about full at times. Tend to find you get Daytripper's to London on this route.

Flixbus do have an option to reserve the seat next to you, I do wonder how this is enforced when it gets busy.

Class 33

Established Member
I did originally think about getting an overnight service back. But yes my experimental searches with the overnight services between Edinburgh and London found that they were very busy or full up/sold out.

I forgot about checking with FlixBus. Their services between Edinburgh and London are overnight only, departing Edinburgh at 2230. Advance fares start at a bargain £9.99. Though there are no services on Mondays and Tuesdays. Was intending on returning on the Monday though. So will probably give that a miss. Though it's handy you can reserve your seat at £1.99 and there is a "Travel neighbour-free" option at £2.50. That's good value as I thought it would be the same price you pay for your main seat. I presume there will be a "Reserved" sticker or wrap on those seats, so you shouldn't have problems with people wanting to use the seat next to you.

Anyway, just did an experimental search for that 1045 National Express service from Edinburgh-London for this Monday, and so far there are still at least 19 seats on that service for this Monday. So I might be OK in getting two seats to myself for the service 2 weeks later.

route101

Established Member
I did originally think about getting an overnight service back. But yes my experimental searches with the overnight services between Edinburgh and London found that they were very busy or full up/sold out.

I forgot about checking with FlixBus. Their services between Edinburgh and London are overnight only, departing Edinburgh at 2230. Advance fares start at a bargain £9.99. Though there are no services on Mondays and Tuesdays. Was intending on returning on the Monday though. So will probably give that a miss. Though it's handy you can reserve your seat at £1.99 and there is a "Travel neighbour-free" option at £2.50. That's good value as I thought it would be the same price you pay for your main seat. I presume there will be a "Reserved" sticker or wrap on those seats, so you shouldn't have problems with people wanting to use the seat next to you.

Anyway, just did an experimental search for that 1045 National Express service from Edinburgh-London for this Monday, and so far there are still at least 19 seats on that service for this Monday. So I might be OK in getting two seats to myself for the service 2 weeks later.
Yes, I was thinking of trying the Flixbus too. Having a seat free on an overnight coach trip makes a great difference. I wonder if you buy two tickets on Megabus/National Express the driver says anything when you have two tickets.

National Express have really streamed down its Scottish Routes. The routes to Hull, Bournemouth, Nottingham and Plymouth have gone.

Not sure the best way to bag two seats, I used to sit towards the back but I found people would walk to the back of the coach then walk back again and plonk themselves down next to you!

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Yes, I was thinking of trying the Flixbus too. Having a seat free on an overnight coach trip makes a great difference. I wonder if you buy two tickets on Megabus/National Express the driver says anything when you have two tickets.
I don't think having two tickets guarantees two seats for one person on either Megabus or National Express unless you also pay for two reservations as well. The driver won't defend any right to two seats because it isn't really their business.

Personally, the most important thing is having a passenger behind who a) isn't talking all night and b) accepts your choice to recline your seat. Having a passenger sat next to you isn't a big deal (although slightly more difficult to contemplate since March 2020). If anything I find it makes me sit more sensibly in the seat, but I accept that it depends who the person is.

The routes to Hull, Bournemouth, Nottingham and Plymouth have gone.
Technically what was 334 and 336 to Bournemouth and Plymouth are now 180 and 181 and terminate in Birmingham.

Last edited:

route101

Established Member
I don't think having two tickets guarantees two seats for one person on either Megabus or National Express unless you also pay for two reservations as well. The driver won't defend any right to two seats because it isn't really their business.

Personally, the most important thing is having a passenger behind who a) isn't talking all night and b) accepts your choice to recline your seat. Having a passenger sat next to you isn't a big deal (although slightly more difficult to contemplate since March 2020). If anything I find it makes me sit more sensibly in the seat, but I accept that it depends who the person is.

Technically what was 334 and 336 to Bournemouth and Plymouth are now 180 and 181 and terminate in Birmingham.
Yes, I used to take the Glasgow to London overnights and it was a lottery who you get on the bus! Last time in Feb 2020 I was hemmed in my someone next to me. Yes there was always someone talking quietly into a phone, all night.

Scotrail314209

Established Member
I do think you’d be better off with a day coach as these are substantially lighter loaded than the night services.

However, Megabus tend to be full both day and night.

The Flixbus service is one I’d shy away from as it’s been very busy recently, and full coaches aren’t pleasant.

cambsy

On Moderation
I forgot to mention, I did the 21.50 hrs, 594 Edinburgh-London, on a Wednesday night, a few weeks ago, and we had, i Ithink about 12-16 passengers on, due to some not turning up, but it would still have been bit less than half full, we ended up going to London non stop, though booked Milton Keynes and Heathrow, its was a very quiet and pleasant journey, and to boot, 55 mins early into London.

extendedpaul

I've never reserved a seat myself but last week on a fairly busy National Express from London to Chepstow, Cardiff and Swansea I noticed a window seat near the front was reserved. One of the first people after me to board went straight to the aisle seat next to it. As soon as the coach departed he spread out and moved to the window seat. Another passenger did sit next to me.

This might be a sneaky way to keep two seats for the cost of the £2 reservation fee and likely to succeed unless the coach was fully booked. I don't think many solo travellers would reserve a seat next to one already reserved, or sit in one with a reserved sign, unless there were no other seats.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
This thread was started with a query about one particular National Express journey. Replies concerning that specific journey are welcome, but this is not a general discussion thread for all matters pertaining to National Express.

Any general discussion should be directed here:

route101

Established Member
I've never reserved a seat myself but last week on a fairly busy National Express from London to Chepstow, Cardiff and Swansea I noticed a window seat near the front was reserved. One of the first people after me to board went straight to the aisle seat next to it. As soon as the coach departed he spread out and moved to the window seat. Another passenger did sit next to me.

This might be a sneaky way to keep two seats for the cost of the £2 reservation fee and likely to succeed unless the coach was fully booked. I don't think many solo travellers would reserve a seat next to one already reserved, or sit in one with a reserved sign, unless there were no other seats.

I do find people like to sit at the front of the bus, that's why I sit towards the back.

As for the 591, the highlight of this journey for me was Alnwick!

Class 33

Established Member
I was on this service from Edinburgh on a Monday back in early March. Only about a dozen passengers boarding at Edinburgh. Probably only about 2 or 3 people who were already aboard from Glasgow. No passengers boarded at the first stop of Berwick-upon-Tweed. Only 2 passengers boarding at Alnmouth. A number of people boarding at Newcastle and Sheffield, with many of them getting out at Leeds. The busiest section was between Newcastle and Leeds with about 30 people onboard. At Leeds there was about a 40 minute break, and opportunity to get out and stretch your legs. From Leeds to London, probably only about 15 people onboard! Was able to have two seats to myself for the whole journey, which made for a comfortable enjoyable journey just looking out the window and enjoying my drinks, sandwiches and snacks. Wouldn't have been so enjoyable and a bit cramped if there was someone next to me for the whole or most of the journey. The service was due to arrive in London Victoria at 2135. However it arrived 36 minutes early at 2059. And the price I paid just £18 from Edinburgh-Bristol! Recommended service this. I would consider travelling on this service again in the future.

route101

Established Member
I was on this service from Edinburgh on a Monday back in early March. Only about a dozen passengers boarding at Edinburgh. Probably only about 2 or 3 people who were already aboard from Glasgow. No passengers boarded at the first stop of Berwick-upon-Tweed. Only 2 passengers boarding at Alnmouth. A number of people boarding at Newcastle and Sheffield, with many of them getting out at Leeds. The busiest section was between Newcastle and Leeds with about 30 people onboard. At Leeds there was about a 40 minute break, and opportunity to get out and stretch your legs. From Leeds to London, probably only about 15 people onboard! Was able to have two seats to myself for the whole journey, which made for a comfortable enjoyable journey just looking out the window and enjoying my drinks, sandwiches and snacks. Wouldn't have been so enjoyable and a bit cramped if there was someone next to me for the whole or most of the journey. The service was due to arrive in London Victoria at 2135. However it arrived 36 minutes early at 2059. And the price I paid just £18 from Edinburgh-Bristol! Recommended service this. I would consider travelling on this service again in the future.
Yes, you don't usually get many people boarding at glasgow on the east coast services. To me that makes a big difference having someone next to you. I paid an extra £3.25 on flixbus to ensure I have the seat free. I find that the older person demographic travels during the daytime and is absent on the overnights.

Scotrail314209

Established Member
Yes, you don't usually get many people boarding at glasgow on the east coast services. To me that makes a big difference having someone next to you. I paid an extra £3.25 on flixbus to ensure I have the seat free. I find that the older person demographic travels during the daytime and is absent on the overnights.
This checks out. I’m on an M9 up to Aberdeen right now and tons of families and young people got off the northbound M11 and changed onto this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.