• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

13/03/2018 1D95 1952 KGX-BDI Billowing Smoke at Mirfield

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crossforth

Established Member
I’ve just passed Mirfield and 180112 is sat in the loop platform with a heck of a lot of smoke coming from it.

It left London on time but has gradually lost time all the way up and was 25 late arriving at Mirfield but still hasn’t left 10 minutes after arriving.

Just thought I’d let you all know :D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Seems to have sat at Mirfield for 10 minutes then eventually arrived Bradford 23:12.

rustbucket

2nd 180 to go twang today - Hull Trains had one terminate at Grantham earlier as it had gone wrong

Crossover

Established Member
Probably a good job I wasn’t on that one as I’d half planned to be. Was on the 1603 instead which provided a good journey throughout
On the note of Hull Trains, I was astounded to see one of their trains in Kings Cross this afternoon!

Crossforth

Established Member
Found out that it was eventually running on two engines and the fire bottles went off which is what the ‘smoke’ was

rmt4ever

I’m confused by “Billowing Stoke at Mirfield”

Was it a Stoke on Trent? Or Mirfield?

Crossover

Established Member
180105 that I had earlier in the day sounded to be an engine down on the front coach as it pulled away after I’d left the service (it was also non-multi on one end, for what it matters!)

whhistle

On Moderation
I wonder if this is why whoever is now encouraging the train manufacturers to provide maintenance for trains these days.
Makes sure they're kept in fairly good condition, compared with much older trains that are getting harder and harder to fix, so it seems.

MG11

180105 that I had earlier in the day sounded to be an engine down on the front coach as it pulled away after I’d left the service (it was also non-multi on one end, for what it matters!)
Sometimes TOCs shut down one engine if the power isn't needed i.e. on down hill journeys.

Crossover

Established Member
Sometimes TOCs shut down one engine if the power isn't needed i.e. on down hill journeys.

Not on the 180s as they can't be restarted from the cab - only locally

I am only aware of TPE doing that and it is centrally managed by the train. Even then, a 185 will ordinarily run on all engines leaving a station. This 180 was an engine down pulling away from a station call

Andrew Nelson

I am only aware of TPE doing that and it is centrally managed by the train. Even then, a 185 will ordinarily run on all engines leaving a station. This 180 was an engine down pulling away from a station call
One wonders how much it had to spare between Eland and Halifax.

BestWestern

Established Member

I recall a tale that Arriva XC once tried a cost saving measure involving running with one engine shut down as a permanent arrangement on the Voyager fleet. Whilst the performance of the train remained acceptable - the Voyagers being rather gutsy beasts - the idea was dropped once it became apparent that the additional wear and tear on the powering engines was offsetting the advantages. Or something like that...

Anyhow, I don't know of any operator who routinely switch off engines, on "down hill journeys" or otherwise. The only, rather obvious, exception would be various freight and loco movements, whereupon additional locos are hauled 'dead in train' if their power output isn't needed, or if they're simply being moved somewhere. What does happen regularly is coasting, where it isn't necessary for the engines to be powering because the train is on a falling gradient.

MG11

I recall a tale that Arriva XC once tried a cost saving measure involving running with one engine shut down as a permanent arrangement on the Voyager fleet. Whilst the performance of the train remained acceptable - the Voyagers being rather gutsy beasts - the idea was dropped once it became apparent that the additional wear and tear on the powering engines was offsetting the advantages. Or something like that...

Anyhow, I don't know of any operator who routinely switch off engines, on "down hill journeys" or otherwise. The only, rather obvious, exception would be various freight and loco movements, whereupon additional locos are hauled 'dead in train' if their power output isn't needed, or if they're simply being moved somewhere. What does happen regularly is coasting, where it isn't necessary for the engines to be powering because the train is on a falling gradient.
TOCs do take the route in to account when considering oower output. ATW Class 158s are powered higher because they run on a hilly route known as 'The Welsh Marches'.

cactustwirly

Established Member
TOCs do take the route in to account when considering oower output. ATW Class 158s are powered higher because they run on a hilly route known as 'The Welsh Marches'.

No the ATW 158s don't really operate over the Marches (mostly Cambrian & North Wales Coast lines) and they are fitted with the standard perkins engines.
I believe the extra powered ones are with either SWR or Northern.

Crossover

Established Member

Just the 185’s I think and it is done by GPS. I think the maintenance on the 185 engine is done by running hours so if you can knock one out for a time it can extend the service intervals a bit

BestWestern

Established Member
Just the 185’s I think and it is done by GPS. I think the maintenance on the 185 engine is done by running hours so if you can knock one out for a time it can extend the service intervals a bit

There's all sorts goes on with those 185s, hefty old beasts they are! This was definitely a tale involving Voyagers, though it was a good few years back (and may have been nonsense, of course!)

Last edited:

Crossover

Established Member
There's all sorts goes on with those 185s, heafy old beasts they are! This was definitely a tale involving Voyagers, though it was a good few years back (and may have been nonsense, of course!)

I have heard that a 221 may sometimes have an engine providing only hotel power (i.e. not motoring) due to them being overpowered. I have also had one on four engines that didn’t lose any time at all between Birmingham and Wakefield. This is all slightly off topic though :P

Status
Not open for further replies.