• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

15yo in London. Travelcard advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diplodicus

We are visiting London for a few days early in the New Year. My 15-year-old granddaughter will be with us. What is the best way for her to travel on the tube and bus? Is it oyster, cash, or symmat else?

many thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Nottingham59

Established Member
A couple of years ago, I found the best way was to use an Adult Oyster card, and get a member of LU staff at the first tube station to reprogram it temporarily as a junior Oyster. This lasts for a couple of weeks. I assume that process still applies.

EDIT:

Young Visitor discount​

If you don't live in London and you're visiting with children who don't have an 11-15 Zip Oyster photocard, they can get discounted travel for up to 14 days with the Young Visitor discount:

The discount can be added to a standard Oyster card or Visitor Oyster card by a member of staff at:

• Any Tube, London Overground or TfL Rail station
  • Visitor Centres (except Gatwick Airport)
The children must be with you when you ask for the Young Visitor discount.

Last edited:

Anonymous10

Established Member
We are visiting London for a few days early in the New Year. My 15-year-old granddaughter will be with us. What is the best way for her to travel on the tube and bus? Is it oyster, cash, or symmat else?

many thanks
i think i got a childs oyster card when 16/17 as in London its reduced travel for under 18 and was on all different underground trains for a full day non stop and didnt have a issue probably used nearly every central London station doing that event

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator

many thanks
How much travelling are you doing; over how many days, within which Zones and how much travel per day?

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor

many thanks
The young visitor discount is probably the best for a few days. If doing a lot of travel, especially if beyond zones 1-2, then you might get benefit* from an 11-15 zip card. It may also be too late if she hasn't got a passport. See https://tfl.gov.uk/fares/free-and-discounted-travel/11-15-zip-oyster-photocard?intcmp=55575 for more details.

*Off-peak daily cap on zip card is £1.55, whereas with young visitor discount it starts at £3.70 for zones 1-2 up to £6.80 for zones 1-9.

Diplodicus

Our visit is complete and your advice wa “spot on” the staff requirement wis ti ensure that adults aren’t trying it on. Many thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.