• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

16-25 Railcard question

Status
Not open for further replies.

roversfan2001

Established Member
I'm now lucky enough to be eligible for a 16-25 railcard; and intend to make use of one later on today. Now due to being unable to buy one online before my 16th birthday I will have to buy it at my local station. My question is, how many pieces of paper/card will this be made up of and will the railcard itself be standard orange ticket stock? I know the online bought cards are durable and have the photo printed on the card itself where applicable.

Thanks. :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
It will be dedicated 16-25 railcard stock. Each railcard has a specific type of blank. Separate photo card for some that need one, but I don't think 16-25 does..

Last edited:

roversfan2001

Established Member
Thanks, as I suspected. Is the 16-25 Railcard blank like a standard ticket or is it as sturdy as the online ones? Surely the print would fade over the year if it's like a normal ticket?

John @ home

Established Member
Is the 16-25 Railcard blank like a standard ticket or is it as sturdy as the online ones?
The card used for station-issued Railcards is a little thicker than a single or return ticket. My perception is that the thickness has increased a little in the last few years.
Surely the print would fade over the year if it's like a normal ticket?
It is common for the print to start to fade on a station-issued Railcard.

BigCj34

Best get it online if you can wait a few days for delivery. It's a more robust plastic photocard. There's usually online offers too, or you can get a 3 year one for £70.

EDIT: OK didn't read original post properly. Still better value online though .

Last edited:

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Generally speaking station issued Railcards do last the year, but as noted fading is still possible. Given how many Railcards get sold, I would be hesitant to say it is 'common', but it does happen more than it should.

Replacements for faded Railcards are free from any National Rail ticket office, but it should ideally be done before the Railcard completely fades (if possible).

It will be dedicated 16-25 railcard stock. Each railcard has a specific type of blank. Separate photo card for some that need one, but I don't think 16-25 does..

The 16-25 Railcard does require a photo ID card, as well as proof of age, or a signature from a college or university (for students).

Wallsendmag

Established Member
Generally speaking station issued Railcards do last the year, but as noted fading is still possible. Given how many Railcards get sold, I would be hesitant to say it is 'common', but it does happen more than it should.

Replacements for faded Railcards are free from any National Rail ticket office, but it should ideally be done before the Railcard completely fades (if possible).

The 16-25 Railcard does require a photo ID card, as well as proof of age, or a signature from a college or university (for students).

There is a simple trick to combat a completely faded railcard that staff can use.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
There is a simple trick to combat a completely faded railcard that staff can use.

Can, but shouldn't.

I speak as someone who has had to deal with the aftermath toasted and illegible railcards several times, after staff thought they'd do their little party trick.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member

Well I am 62 now... :roll::oops:

roversfan2001

Established Member
I would buy an online one, indeed I have tried since I could (2 weeks ago; they say you can apply 14 days before 16th birthday, think that's new?). Passport number wasn't recognised so left it.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member

What is the trick?

Station issued tickets and Railcards use thermal printers and ticket stock. The ticket stock has a heat sensitive coating which can be 'activated' once only. The thermal printers 'activate' that coating in the desired pattern.

The trick, therefore, is to 'activate' the rest of the ticket/Railcard, giving a reverse colour image (white on black rather than black on white as it were) on the ticket stock. To do this you just need a heat source at a suitable temperature, but this can also only be done once. So, if someone should happen to do it to your ticket/Railcard, this is your cue to get the ticket/Railcard changed as soon as possible, as it invalidates the ticket/Railcard and if it should fade again there's no data on it. Staff are usually advised not to do it though.

With the right lighting, there is another way to see where the coating has been burnt off, but it can be hard to tell what some of the detail is.

Status
Not open for further replies.