• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

175 door problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

merlodlliw

Established Member
Wrexham/ Denbighshire /Flintshire triangle
A friend of mine travelled on the 11.44 ex Wrexham to Cardiff for the rugby match, he travelled in the first coach and informed me when the train was nearing Ludlow one of the entrance doors(to the platform) started to partially open & close, the conductor informed there was a problem when the train, now stopped at Ludlow, he remained at the door area pushing buttons, as the door kept opening and making a strange noise, a tanoy announcement informed the
train would be terminated at Hereford, due to this problem with the door.

At Hereford an announcement was made that passengers should board the
next train for Milford Haven,my friend(not a rail buff,but well travelled on ATW)
said as the terminated train was packed with Rugby fans,and the Milford Haven
was full on arrival, a tight squeeze occurred to Cardiff.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
wrong side door failure iirc from what I read, door opening on wrong side off the train or something to that effect... can't be running in passenger service like that

Last edited:

TDK

Established Member
wrong side door failure iirc from what I read on the control log, door opening on wrong side off the train or something to that effect... can't be running in passenger service like that

Should have been taken out at Ludlow, surely if a door opens on a 175 the driver will have an emergency brake application, IIRC the doors on 175's are electrically operated, surely the Guard could have isolated the door and locked it out of use? Surprised you get the control log? Is it now disrtibuted to all staff?

merlodlliw

Established Member
Wrexham/ Denbighshire /Flintshire triangle
Should have been taken out at Ludlow, surely if a door opens on a 175 the driver will have an emergency brake application, IIRC the doors on 175's are electrically operated, surely the Guard could have isolated the door and locked it out of use? Surprised you get the control log? Is it now disrtibuted to all staff?

I know full well why the train was taken to Hereford, platforms to transfer passengers, I was going to Llanelli about 7/8 years ago, caught a 158
at Shrewsbury, as the train left the station it made a creaking noise,which
got worse, actual under my seat at the back of the first coach,anyhow it was stopped for two hours just before Church Stretton, a fitter was sent to have a look and found the exhaust had parted, it ran one engine to Hereford, the driver on the tanoy told us, we are losing time all the way and will connect up with the following train to Cardiff, as he put it "Better to run on three engines
than one". This is pre 175s.

AlexS

Established Member
Wrong side failure just means equipment failure in to a not safe setting (if a signal stuck off when it was supposed to be on to protect a junction for example). Or in this case, a door open in traffic. There was a similar problem with a 222 a couple of years back when a door opened at a fair old lick if I recall.

Whether the door is actually facing the platform or not wouldn't necessarily be indicated by wrong side.

Status
Not open for further replies.