• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

1970s book about branch lines containing cartoons

David Young

I am trying to find a book which existed in the late 1970s and whose content I can only recall from some cartoons it contained. The book was about branch lines and other rural railways. If anybody can identify the title, I would be most grateful. Here is what I remember about some of the cartoons:

A signalman has closed one gate to block a train and another to block the traffic. The caption is something along the lines of 'That'll teach them to parp and whistle at me'.
A ganger, carrying a scythe, is running alongside a train, the last carriage of which has been flattened by a rockfall. The driver says 'Whaddya mean lanzlide?' or something like that.
A train is being held up by a chicken in the middle of the track. 'Sorry about that Lunnon connection of yours, but old Bessie here often lays a double-yolker' the porter says.
A woman has walked along the running boards from the end of the train to the locomotive. She says 'Cooee! There's a hot axle box under my compartment', with smoke billowing out of the last carriage.
At a station turned into a house, with the track long lifted, a ghost train comes over the vegetable patch where the track used to be. It has something like 'Down with Doctor Beeching' on its headboard and the house owner says something about it being great for the cabbages.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gloster

Established Member
There was a book called 4 ft 8’ 1/2 and All That that had a lot of cartoons and stories. I had it when I was a lad and some of the drawings may have been by or in the style of Thelwell. (My memories are vague as my copy ended in the Solent.)

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Could well be that. Still seems to be readily available. 1960s original is more expensive than the 2007 reprint. Author was a William Mills and the publisher Ian Allan.

Four foot eight and a half book.jpeg

Gloster

Established Member
I think that there was also a book by David St John Thomas that had some cartoons in it. It may have been the The Country Railway, which seems to have gone through a number of versions, some of which may have involved quite substantial re-editing and possible loss of the cartoons. Somewhere I have a copy of the Penguin (1979) edition, which I don’t think was the first version. I will look for it, but it is one of those books that could be in any one of a number of piles…or somewhere else.

Gloster

Established Member
The cartoons are in the 1979 Penguin edition of The Country Railway (see #4): they may not be in other editions. (Found the book by chance as it was all on its lonesome, away from all the other railway books, but I saw it out of the corner of my eye.)

John Webb

Established Member
The cartoons are in the 1979 Penguin edition of The Country Railway (see #4): they may not be in other editions. (Found the book by chance as it was all on its lonesome, away from all the other railway books, but I saw it out of the corner of my eye.)
They are also present in my 1977 Book Club Associates hardback edition. (no ISBN available) It was originally published in 1976. The cartoons are by 'Mallet' (Dennis Mallet, I gather).

Taunton

Established Member
I have a copy of '4 ft 8’ 1/2 and All That' and it is nothing like the description given in the first post.
I wonder how many of us here do :) . Apart from the cartoons it's full of railway puns and jokes as well. Mine was retained downstairs when most of my collection went up into the attic.

The greatest running railway cartoon was by Fontaine Fox, "The Toonerville Trolley", which appeared each Sunday in USA newspapers for many years, and ended up in 1935 with Hollywood creating some cinema shorts based on it and its then well-known characters, The Skipper as driver, and his all-powerful wife Katrinka. Here's a good one:

midland1

I have the 1983 hardback David and Charles edition they are in there too, so it looks like they are in all editions.