• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

1972 Tube Stock refurbishment

Status
Not open for further replies.

fgwrich

Established Member
I believe the manual destination on the front is staying the same.

LED headlights will be rolled out. There is one unit (3299) that was fitted with them on a trial but that trial has lasted about 2.5 years now. They were meant to be done during regular maintenance at Stonebridge Park but staff shortages delayed the project. (Mainly due to covid)

They certainly seem brighter, which I'm sure will please the drivers as the current ones are rather dim. Are they bi-directional LEDs (as in combined head / tail) lights?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

A60stock

What has always confused me is why the 72 stock didn't get a refurbishment to the level of the 73 stock back in the 90s e.g. dot matrix displays. It's almost as if the 73 stock should be the one to stay and 72 stock to go from 2025!

Had they done so, there would have been much less work to do now on the 72s from a legislation perspective.

bramling

Veteran Member
They certainly seem brighter, which I'm sure will please the drivers as the current ones are rather dim. Are they bi-directional LEDs (as in combined head / tail) lights?

Drivers won’t be too bothered, as they don’t really need to see the tunnel. Indeed to my knowledge the general view is most drivers prefer the warm tone of traditional headlamps.

However incident response staff will prefer brighter lights, it makes their life easier if on the front of a train searching for an issue which has been reported.

What has always confused me is why the 72 stock didn't get a refurbishment to the level of the 73 stock back in the 90s e.g. dot matrix displays. It's almost as if the 73 stock should be the one to stay and 72 stock to go from 2025!

Had they done so, there would have been much less work to do now on the 72s from a legislation perspective.

Probably the biggest reason is that the 72 stock refurb came first. The 73 stock refurb came rather later, and seems to have had more budget available to it. I seem to remember the designers were the same people working on the 96 stock, and being a fellow 18m vehicle it was no doubt possible to take much of the 96 stock design and apply it to the 73 stock. It was also almost certainly the case that the 73 stock justified more work due to serving Heathrow.

Evidently LU have never felt the need to do anything to bring the 72 stock closer in line with 73 stock, which I’m not sure can be explained by imminent replacement as the 72 stock has always been expected to have its life pushed out. End windows are a no-no on the 72 stock due to the amount of equipment in the car ends.

Last edited:

Goldfish62

Established Member
Probably the biggest reason is that the 72 stock refurb came first. The 73 stock refurb came rather later, and seems to have had more budget available to it. I seem to remember the designers were the same people working on the 96 stock, and being a fellow 18m vehicle it was no doubt possible to take much of the 96 stock design and apply it to the 73 stock. It was also almost certainly the case that the 73 stock justified more work due to serving Heathrow.

Evidently LU have never felt the need to do anything to bring the 72 stock closer in line with 73 stock, which I’m not sure can be explained by imminent replacement as the 72 stock has always been expected to have its life pushed out. End windows are a no-no on the 72 stock due to the amount of equipment in the car ends.
It made sense to do the same refurbishment on the 1972 stock as the 1967 stock as they're essentially the same train internally.

londontransit

Two new hybrid units (thats two separate seven car trains) were spotted following each other southbound on the Bakerloo just an hour ago! Instead of the new led lights being in the southern four car unit, these have their three car units (the north end of the train) fitted with the new led lights whilst their four car units still have the old analogue lights.

bluegoblin7

Established Member
Two new hybrid units (thats two separate seven car trains) were spotted following each other southbound on the Bakerloo just an hour ago! Instead of the new led lights being in the southern four car unit, these have their three car units (the north end of the train) fitted with the new led lights whilst their four car units still have the old analogue lights.
Not really a ‘hybrid’, or anything unusual. Bakerloo line trains are formed of two separate, semi-permanently coupled units. 4-car (south facing) and 3-car (north facing) units are regularly reformed as dictated by maintenance requirements.

londontransit

Not really a ‘hybrid’, or anything unusual. Bakerloo line trains are formed of two separate, semi-permanently coupled units. 4-car (south facing) and 3-car (north facing) units are regularly reformed as dictated by maintenance requirements.
The original switch involved complete sets of seven car trains put into service - but what it seems they are doing now is putting either three or four car LED units into service along with an equivalent analogue unit. That's why I'm describing them as hybrids. Maybe you dont understand where I'm getting at?

AFAIK there isnt actually anything unusual about the 1972 tube stock - apart from the fact they're museum pieces!

Lewlew

The original switch involved complete sets of seven car trains put into service - but what it seems they are doing now is putting either three or four car LED units into service along with an equivalent analogue unit. That's why I'm describing them as hybrids. Maybe you dont understand where I'm getting at?

AFAIK there isnt actually anything unusual about the 1972 tube stock - apart from the fact they're museum pieces!
The first unit to be done was 3238, a 4 car unit. Which was in service for some months as the only LED train coupled to random (non LED) 3 car units.

Then a second four car unit was done (I forget the number). For at least 6 months it was just those two 4 car units on trial that had been done.

So there has always been "hybrids" from the start.

The project has only recently picked up a bit more pace and they've done some 3 car units.

londontransit

The first unit to be done was 3238, a 4 car unit. Which was in service for some months as the only LED train coupled to random (non LED) 3 car units.

Then a second four car unit was done (I forget the number). For at least 6 months it was just those two 4 car units on trial that had been done.

So there has always been "hybrids" from the start.

The project has only recently picked up a bit more pace and they've done some 3 car units.
Thanks. Its good to know they are picking up progress on the 3 car units.

Deepgreen

Established Member
I was involved in the run-up to the '72 stock refurb in the late '80s when Cosworth were commissioned to provide a mock-up. I took this picture at their factory - the red body stripe was (obviously) not adopted.

Attachments

• 7175611998_0c3c019267_k.jpeg
    7175611998_0c3c019267_k.jpeg
    647.7 KB · Views: 166

eddy321

Units, with the new LED celling lighting I presume, have started having car end lights being covered over and I think a new PIS system has also been fitted to some trains now.

Lewlew

Units, with the new LED celling lighting I presume, have started having car end lights being covered over and I think a new PIS system has also been fitted to some trains now.
End car lights removed and blanked over to make space for the power supplies for the LEDs.

One unit has been trial fitted with PIS displays (as well as wheelchair bays and soon to be hand rails by the doors) and is still in bits in Acton. Won't be in service until later in the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.