• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

1974 fares

Status
Not open for further replies.

theblackwatch

Established Member
Bit of a quiz/knowledge question here regarding fares - I have a Child Economy Return from Harrogate to Teignmouth dated 27 August 1974. Would anyone like to guess how much the fare was? Or what the restrictions were on this ticket?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I realise now I should have asked you last night how much it was! Then I would have had some insider knowledge ;)

However how about 30p?

theblackwatch

Established Member
I realise now I should have asked you last night how much it was! Then I would have had some insider knowledge ;)

However how about 30p?

Both replies quite a way off - I will refrain from further comment till this evening to give more people a chance to post.

Ivo

Established Member
I would guess somewhere in the vicinity of £2.50 or so; say, £2.65? I'm also going to be bold and suggest it was unrestricted.

/wishful thinking

John @ home

Established Member
Would anyone like to guess how much the fare was?
£6.70
Or what the restrictions were on this ticket?
If you mean what were the restrictions shown on this ticket?, my guess is "Valid: As advertised."

If you mean what were the restrictions which applied to this ticket?, my guess is "Outward: By any train on the date shown on the ticket. Return: A Saturday night must be spent at the destination. Subject to that, by any train within one month of the date shown on the ticket."

Old Timer

Established Member
If I remember rightly these were not valid for outward on a Friday, and were the variation on the old Montly return. In which case I feel the return portion was not available until after the Monday of the following week of issue.

theblackwatch

Established Member
Darandio was very close - the correct answer was £3.27. Back the, only children under 5 went free of charge, and a seat reservation was 30p.

As for the restrictions, well I'm not sure for that exact ticket - I actually hoped someone knowledgable might tell me! I do have a leaflet from the late 70s somewhere explaining ticket types/restrictions which I will dig out at some point and put details up here if people are interested at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.