• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

1992 stock Refurbishment?

Recessio

I think in part that's to do with the higher quality audio compared to the previous sound files.
The old speakers on the 92 really just weren't loud enough. All the subsequent stock has been far better in my opinion, even with fairly compressed audio.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dstock7080

Established Member
Press launch today:We’ve unveiled our first overhauled Central line train
We’ve reached a pivotal moment in the £500 million Central Line Improvement Programme (CLIP) as the Mayor of London Sadiq Khan took a journey on the first overhauled train.
Colleagues from across our organisation have worked hard to reach this point in the programme – the most significant overhaul project undertaken in the history of the Tube.

1702662453589.png
1702662453662.png

A redefined customer experience

The work will refresh the ageing fleet and ensure that the trains will continue to operate and extend their working life. The upgrades promise to redefine the customer experience with safer, more reliable and accessible journeys for the approximately 4.5 million weekly passengers.
The train, based at Hainault depot as it finishes live testing on the railway, features more reliable motors, better accessibility, improved customer information and a new moquette. Each car is also fitted with two CCTV cameras, the first time CCTV has been installed on the Central line.
Speaking on the first journey taken on Friday 15 December, Mayor of London Sadiq Khan said:

“The safety of Londoners is my top priority and I want everyone to feel safe, and be safe, when travelling around London at all times. These overhauled trains will improve safety, accessibility and reliability for Londoners – supporting my aim to continue building a safer, greener London for everyone.”

A transformative and innovative project for our teams

Over 125 colleagues at Acton, supported by apprentices, collaborated with more than 30 manufacturers nationwide to bring this ambitious project to fruition.
The intricate project involves an entire overhaul of the trains, including stripping them down to frames, installing of new wheelchair spaces, new in-saloon visual information display, driving systems, revamped wiring, lighting, improved doors, and new seats.
“Introducing multiple new systems from numerous different suppliers in a manner that seamlessly integrates with the 30-year-old Central line trains is a massive achievement for our organisation and everyone involved” said CLIP Programme Engineer.
“Our teams have overcome complex technical challenges associated with collaboratively designing, implementing and testing the overhauled train.”
The programme has involved colleagues across our whole organisation as well as various partner organisations and suppliers.
“This achievement marks years of hard work, collaboration and professionalism of multiple teams across the business and our supply chain” added Head of London Underground Capital Infrastructure Rolling Stock.
“A huge thank you to all involved. I think you’ll see a big difference when travelling on the Central line!”

The upgrades include:

• New CCTV system
  • Adding wheelchair bays
  • New seating (including moquette)
  • New computer system
  • New LED lighting
  • New visual displays for passenger information
  • New RVAR compliant flooring
  • New AC traction motors
  • Door overhaul
  • Programme lift maintenance activities

What’s next

As the testing phase concludes on the inaugural train, production is set to escalate, with one train returning to service per month.
Over the next four years, customers will witness the comprehensive transformation of the Central line, strategically removing five trains from service at a time to optimise efficiency.

Attachments

• 1702662453795.png
    1702662453795.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 110

Mikey C

Established Member
I hadn't realised how much of the window area the PIS system takes up.

Not complaining, as the large, and wrap around windows made the 92s horrible outside in summer!

Thirteen

I hadn't realised how much of the window area the PIS system takes up.

Not complaining, as the large, and wrap around windows made the 92s horrible outside in summer!
I would imagine that the windows being large meant that they could install the PIS without losing too much window space.

Basil Jet

On Moderation
I would imagine that the windows being large meant that they could install the PIS without losing too much window space.
I seem to be the only person here who liked the big windows that allowed you to tip your head back and look up at the clouds. But in any case, if I had to fit a PIS inside a tube train, I'd fit it up where the adverts are or next to the doors, the last place I'd put it would be over the windows! It must look ridiculous from the outside to have a nice big window which is half blocked up.

Dstock7080

Established Member
After the window modifications D Stock had two windows per unit half restricted and 1973 Stock after refurbishment has four windows per car reduced.

Nym

Established Member
It also was proposed to make use of the advertising panel space, supported by video advertisements to supplement the additional cost and provide an income stream.

The idea was TfL'd out of the room.

bramling

Veteran Member
I seem to be the only person here who liked the big windows that allowed you to tip your head back and look up at the clouds. But in any case, if I had to fit a PIS inside a tube train, I'd fit it up where the adverts are or next to the doors, the last place I'd put it would be over the windows! It must look ridiculous from the outside to have a nice big window which is half blocked up.

Have to agree. IMO the new screens and surround look rather tacky, and yes I quite liked the big windows. Will the average passenger notice or care though? Probably not.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Having the PIS on the window means a display can face outwards for passengers on the platform to see the destination.

Lockwood

It also was proposed to make use of the advertising panel space, supported by video advertisements to supplement the additional cost and provide an income stream.

The idea was TfL'd out of the room.
Wait what?

Put video adverts on to generate money: No
Rename Bond Street to generate money: Yes

Nym

Established Member
Wait what?

Put video adverts on to generate money: No
Rename Bond Street to generate money: Yes

PIS Banner across the screen with advertising space and/or interspersed advertising.

Also yes.

This would be because the idea to generate money by renaming stations came from someone with marketing degrees and a fancy job title. The video displays on the unit came as an idea from some lowly engineers, so the bean counters couldn't be less interested.

Mikey C

Established Member
It does look the compromise that it is, with a large area of bare plastic around the PIS, and the line diagrams still way up near the ceiling.

Goldfish62

Established Member
PIS Banner across the screen with advertising space and/or interspersed advertising.

Also yes.

This would be because the idea to generate money by renaming stations came from someone with marketing degrees and a fancy job title. The video displays on the unit came as an idea from some lowly engineers, so the bean counters couldn't be less interested.
Or a more nuanced view:

Full colour TFT screens are relatively expensive. Think of how many screens would be needed. That's extra capital that would have to raised. The return on the capital employed through adverting revenue would have to be at least sufficient to generate a surplus before the trains become life expired. I imagine the business case simply wasn't there.

Nym

Established Member
Or a more nuanced view:

Full colour TFT screens are relatively expensive. Think of how many screens would be needed. That's extra capital that would have to raised. The return on the capital employed through adverting revenue would have to be at least sufficient to generate a surplus before the trains become life expired. I imagine the business case simply wasn't there.
The very nuanced and costed view was taken with full cost-benifit ratios calculated.

Note the majority of the cost is not the display technology, it's the installation, housings and other equipment that sits behind it.

The estimated pay off period for the cost delta was measured in months not years.

The price difference between RIA-12 rated LU compliant Dot Matrix Displays versus full TFT was relatively small when this was being priced, and the provisional advertising revenue delta was even very conservative.

Goldfish62

Established Member
The very nuanced and costed view was taken with full cost-benifit ratios calculated.

Note the majority of the cost is not the display technology, it's the installation, housings and other equipment that sits behind it.

The estimated pay off period for the cost delta was measured in months not years.

The price difference between RIA-12 rated LU compliant Dot Matrix Displays versus full TFT was relatively small when this was being priced, and the provisional advertising revenue delta was even very conservative.
Interesting - thanks. So why wasn't it pursued?

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
And if they did they wouldn't face inwards!
Surely a design exists with both sides able to display? After all, they do it with indicators on platforms... just needs to be a thinner version of those.

We could then call them "two faced advertising systems"... :lol:

Goldfish62

Established Member
Surely a design exists with both sides able to display? After all, they do it with indicators on platforms... just needs to be a thinner version of those.
:lol:
Yes, of course, you see it on station departure boards everywhere and on on-trains screens . But it still requires two LED display panels.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Unfortunately can't share that level of detail with suitable abstraction.

TL;DR, lack of interest higher up.
That's a shame. And must be incredibly annoying.

Thanks for sharing what info you've been able to.

boiledbeans2

After the window modifications D Stock had two windows per unit half restricted and 1973 Stock after refurbishment has four windows per car reduced.

For the 1973 stock, why were the windows reduced? From the interior, all I can see is that the former window area has become perch seats/luggage area.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
For the 1973 stock, why were the windows reduced? From the interior, all I can see is that the former window area has become perch seats/luggage area.
As the trains go to Heathrow more space is needed for luggage.

boiledbeans2

As the trains go to Heathrow more space is needed for luggage.
But the full window could have been retained?

I did a Google search and here is the first image I found of the relevant space:

As you can see, the perch seats (right in front of the cameraman) stay below the window area. The former window area has some TfL posters.

Russel

But the full window could have been retained?

I did a Google search and here is the first image I found of the relevant space:

As you can see, the perch seats (right in front of the cameraman) stay below the window area. The former window area has some TfL posters.

This is something I've questioned too.

Goldfish62

Established Member

We could then call them "two faced advertising systems"... :lol:
I thought we were talking about LED destination displays not advertising screens.

And yes, of course they exist. Just look on most station platforms and a lot of in-train PIS displays.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I thought we were talking about LED destination displays not advertising screens.

And yes, of course they exist. Just look on most station platforms and a lot of in-train PIS displays.
We are - but someone suggested they'd end up being used to show adverts between destination scrolls.