• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

1992 stock Refurbishment?

c2c

I was travelling past Derby a few days ago and saw a 1992 stock car in one of the sheds at (I assume) Bombardier. It reminded me that they were supposed to be receiving modifications but I haven’t heard much of that programme. Is there any news on what’s happening with the refurbishment?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

rebmcr

Established Member
I believe it's an internal refresh, plus complete replacement of the traction package with a design that includes AC motors.

To cover for the work, services on the Hainault loop have been curtailed — what used to be 8-car through trains are now 4-car shuttles (this is simple to do because 1992 Tube Stock trains are formed from 2-car units).

Dstock7080

Established Member
To cover for the work, services on the Hainault loop have been curtailed — what used to be 8-car through trains are now 4-car shuttles (this is simple to do because 1992 Tube Stock trains are formed from 2-car units).
The reduction to 4-car shuttle did not occur and continue to be 8-car trains.

c2c

I believe it's an internal refresh, plus complete replacement of the traction package with a design that includes AC motors.

Thanks! Is there any information on when the first completed unit is expected back?

Dstock7080

Established Member
Thanks! Is there any information on when the first completed unit is expected back?
The first two AC traction package units were due back from Derby in February.
Another unit is having handrails recoated, wheelchair spaces, LED lighting, new passenger information displays fitted and another unit has the data transmission cables replaced at Acton.
All of these modifications are to be fitted to the rest of the fleet at a new workshop being constructed in Acton Works; which should be completed this summer.

The Waterloo & City trains are to have the same wheelchair spaces, passenger information displays and handrails recoated; one at a time, possibly at Waterloo depot when the Line resumes service from June.

Recessio

Any plans to add CCTV? I remember reading some pretty shocking statistics that nearly a quarter of sexual assaults are on the Central line, possibly due to having no CCTV...

Blindtraveler

Established Member
I am very fond of everything about the 92 stock, the traction motors make a nice noise and I shall miss them as very much doubt the new ones will sound as good. Nonetheless it's nice to know that these are being given so much needed TLC to prolong their life as I'll be sorry when they eventually have to go

J-2739

Established Member
Sorry?

I am very fond of everything about the 92 stock, the traction motors make a nice noise and I shall miss them as very much doubt the new ones will sound as good. Nonetheless it's nice to know that these are being given so much needed TLC to prolong their life as I'll be sorry when they eventually have to go
They are nice to travel on especially during the dark. Hopefully the refurbishment serves them well.

Lewlew

The 1992 stock can already do 100kph. ATO will do a max 85kph but a driver can (but shouldn't) motor upto 100kph in manual. No need to go any faster than that.

bramling

Veteran Member
The 1992 stock can already do 100kph. ATO will do a max 85kph but a driver can (but shouldn't) motor upto 100kph in manual. No need to go any faster than that.

Is there any reason why if the whole traction motor package is being replaced, why there should be any reason *not* to restore 100km/h running? The signalling system is already fully set up for it, and as we know it does occasionally happen now though shouldn’t.

Established Member
Is there any reason why if the whole traction motor package is being replaced, why there should be any reason *not* to restore 100km/h running? The signalling system is already fully set up for it, and as we know it does occasionally happen now though shouldn’t.
Because the trains have a habit of shaking themselves apart. 100kph running was highlighted as one of the things leading to the Chancery Lane derailment motor working itself loose and falling off.

Lewlew

There was an aspiration to restore 100kph running after CLIP (Central Line Improvement Programme) but not heard anything recently. I've been looking on the intranet but can't find what I saw that mentioned the speed upgrade.

Mikey C

Established Member
Agreed. Not helped by the horribly tinted windows, either.
They're like a greenhouse as it is when out in the open, I hate to imagine how hot they'd be without the tinted glass!

Now Alstom, keen as they are to stamp their name all over it!
BREL, ABB, Adtranz, Bombardier, now Alstom, I assume the workforce are used to name changes!

Dstock7080

Established Member
I was travelling past Derby a few days ago and saw a 1992 stock car in one of the sheds at (I assume) Bombardier.
Seems you were now quite lucky, cars 91111 92111 92446 93446 have returned to London by road today!

Last edited:

Nym

Established Member
They're like a greenhouse as it is when out in the open, I hate to imagine how hot they'd be without the tinted glass!

BREL, ABB, Adtranz, Bombardier, now Alstom, I assume the workforce are used to name changes!
With Siemens bogies replacing the old Kawasaki ones.

On that shed at Acton, I seem to recall a very senior TfL person at the time saying it would be built in 12 months. 4 and a half years later...?

Dstock7080

Established Member
93446-92446 fitted with AC motors successfully ran an empty test run this morning formed with 3 DC units from Debden to Epping.

Last edited:

rebmcr

Established Member
93446-92446 fitted with AC motors successfully ran an empty test run this morning formed with 3 DC units from Debden to Epping.
It's neat that they can work in multiple with non-upgraded units, that's not something I would have assumed possible.

Wolfie

Established Member
Agreed. Not helped by the horribly tinted windows, either.
They are tinted at least in part to deal with the greenhouse effect caused by the much bigger windows.

Good. Sounds promising.

It's neat that they can work in multiple with non-upgraded units, that's not something I would have assumed possible.
Indeed. Although not unprecedented eg Renatus and non-refurbed class 321s. Unsure if the 455s could too.

MatthewRead

On Moderation
They are tinted at least in part to deal with the greenhouse effect caused by the much bigger windows.

Good. Sounds promising.

Indeed. Although not unprecedented eg Renatus and non-refurbed class 321s. Unsure if the 455s could too.
Yes 455's could but not 442's.

Nym

Established Member
Is only the traction kit being replaced.

Not sure if they've done the DTS replacement or not yet, because that would make the units incompatible, unless EKE has put a lot more work into iteroperability.

Recessio

I am very fond of everything about the 92 stock, the traction motors make a nice noise and I shall miss them as very much doubt the new ones will sound as good.
Tbf, the refurb 455 motors don't sound that different from the older set. Maybe the new ones will be similar? Then again, massive differences in some of the 465 remotorings...
Because the trains have a habit of shaking themselves apart. 100kph running was highlighted as one of the things leading to the Chancery Lane derailment motor working itself loose and falling off.
I guess also after the Jubilee line cracking incidents, LU may be a bit more wary of the stress caused by acceleration/deceleration. Lower top speeds would help reduce the strain?