• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

1D28 19.03 Kings X - Leeds (30/11)

Status
Not open for further replies.

alholmes

Anyone know what's happened. The front of the train only got as far as Gasworks Tunnel, and the train has been de-trained through the rear two carriages, still in the platform.

Police, Fire and ambulance all in attendance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Fatality apparently-saw on another thread someone running for a departing train (presumably that one) has managed to end up under the DVT...

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

74A

Fatality apparently-saw on another thread someone running for a departing train (presumably that one) has managed to end up under the DVT...

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Is it definitely a fatality ? There does not seem to be that much disruption to services

Established Member
Is it definitely a fatality ? There does not seem to be that much disruption to services

Non Fatal, minor injuries. A very lucky person. The woman has been take to hospital with minor injures and 5D28 en route to Neville Hill.

Last edited:

ST156

Combination of factors as far as I'm aware. Kings Cross tube station was closed to prevent overcrowding (caused by a match at the Emirates/ongoing Piccadilly Line disruption) around the same time as the incident in the main station. KGX NR remained open throughout, as the incident was confined to Platforms 4/5.

Last edited:

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
According to reports from VTEC colleagues Lost a finger. Trying to board an already departing train and fell between DVT and 1st carriage. Ended up inside and under inner bogie of DVT between wheels. Luckily guard saw what happened and stopped the train. Another 2-3 feet and she would have been sliced in two.

Suraggu

This incident is the reason why Guards should be kept on the train.

It could of been more than a lost finger she lost otherwise.

jamieP

Am assuming the guard was in the DVT so saw what happened whilst looking out the window?

If the guard was at a normal door as they normally are at other stations then having a guard on would have been no different to being DOO as the station staff mught not have been able to get the train stopped any quicker.

JP

ungreat

Guard usually in DVT at KX for dispatch anyway as its the best place
Well done to my guard colleague DOING THEIR JOB...yes there were injuries but could have been so much worse..........bet this story doesn't get into the Wail or Scum

Thoughts go out to the crews and everyone else involved, stuff of nightmares for any guard watching that happen. As others have said that is one lucky lady.

railfan100

On Moderation

Totally agree the role in my view is safety critical and I do not agree with the strategy over the years to try to remove the role where possible. I would take it one step further and say when units are running in multiple a guard should be present in any unit not connected by a front gangway.

70014IronDuke

Established Member
According to reports from VTEC colleagues Lost a finger. Trying to board an already departing train and fell between DVT and 1st carriage. Ended up inside and under inner bogie of DVT between wheels. Luckily guard saw what happened and stopped the train. Another 2-3 feet and she would have been sliced in two.

If the reports are correct, the woman involved should offer the guard a bottle of wine every November 30 for as long as he/she lives.

But surely the days of jumping on trains that have already been given the off went with the end of slam-door stock? Don't passenger 'get this' yet?

I don't suppose it would be allowed, but if there is cctv of this, it should be circulated as a lesson for the travelling public.

Well done all staff involved in preventing this from being a real tragedy.

If the reports are correct, the woman involved should offer the guard a bottle of wine every November 30 for as long as he/she lives.

But surely the days of jumping on trains that have already been given the off went with the end of slam-door stock? Don't passenger 'get this' yet?

I don't suppose it would be allowed, but if there is cctv of this, it should be circulated as a lesson for the travelling public.

Well done all staff involved in preventing this from being a real tragedy.

It wouldn't surprise me if the CCTV forms part of the "RED" staff briefing videos. To answer your other points unfortunately not, I work slam door stock all day every day and normally at least once a day someone will attempt to board once I've given ready to start. Some of them even like to assault us when they're told they can't get on, others like to attempt to climb through the window as the train leaves.

Platforms 4, 5 & 6 were closed for a time while the incident was resolved.

The other platforms remained open.

infobleep

Veteran Member
According to the Evening Standard, the train was announced as the delayed train will be leaving in two minutes and everyone ran for the train, following the late announcement.

No mention of the woman trying to board as the doors were closing though.

Whether the woman herself ran or assumed the trainwould wait, given the late announcement, I don't know.

May be in future trains at large stations shouldn't be announced 2 minutes prior to departure. Could that work?

This use to happen at Euston. Train usually something like platform 10 and switches to platform 17. Board says train is on time but platform only put up in less than 2 minutes prior to departure. How do passengers know whether it will depart late. Inevitably it would at Euston.

Still a odd potential death here and there doesn't matter it seems, if discussions on DOO are anything to go by.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Before the redevelopment of Kings Cross station the mainline platforms had gates that wold be closed a couple of minutes before departure. Euston has these but I suspect they will stop using them when ticket barriers are installed.

I don't know what happened in this incident but I suspect had gates been in use it wouldn't have happened.

There's also been much comment about the part the guard played and s/he should be commended. I assume there were also platform dispatch staff present who maybe played a part too?

Suraggu

According to the Evening Standard, the train was announced as the delayed train will be leaving in two minutes and everyone ran for the train, following the late announcement.

No mention of the woman trying to board as the doors were closing though.

Whether the woman herself ran or assumed the trainwould wait, given the late announcement, I don't know.

May be in future trains at large stations shouldn't be announced 2 minutes prior to departure. Could that work?

This use to happen at Euston. Train usually something like platform 10 and switches to platform 17. Board says train is on time but platform only put up in less than 2 minutes prior to departure. How do passengers know whether it will depart late. Inevitably it would at Euston.

Still a odd potential death here and there doesn't matter it seems, if discussions on DOO are anything to go by.

Dont believe everything you read in the Standard.
1B90 left two minutes before 1D28 departed and they shared the same platform space.

Lets wait for the RAIB report for the truth shall we...
At the end of the day the woman is extremely lucky to be alive.

railfan100

On Moderation
What load of tosh. Years ago when epb stock was around 1 guard was sufficient. Can you imagine the various scenarios that could occur.

Do not concur safety should always come first, what if a fire occurs in a non-gangwayed connected unit where is no guard to manage the situation take action, direct people etc. You should not use the reference point of mistakes in the past to dictate the future.

The situation today is simply about cost and safety is secondary, 12-car EMU's with no guard is crazy, what if there is a major incident and a unit not connected with a front gangway has to evacuate people, it needs a safety critical post to direct accordingly.

Failed Unit

Established Member
1B90 left two minutes before 1D28 departed and they shared the same platform space.

Agree,

The announcement for all trains at kings cross on the automated announcement is something like "please board immediately as the train is ready to depart" They normally remove from the departure board as well before the train is due to depart. From my experience east coast normally delay departure if it is clear passengers are struggling to get to the train because of late announcement.

QueensCurve

Established Member

Well it is a reason why it is desirable to have guard on the train: An extra pair of eyes and a hand on the brake.

infobleep

Veteran Member

I never believe everything I read I Thr Evening Standard, just as I don't believe everything I read on here.

--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Agree,

The announcement for all trains at kings cross on the automated announcement is something like "please board immediately as the train is ready to depart" They normally remove from the departure board as well before the train is due to depart. From my experience east coast normally delay departure if it is clear passengers are struggling to get to the train because of late announcement.
But do they inform passengers it will be delayed leaving? At Euston they certainly didn't. This being 2013 and before. Things may have improved since then.

Groningen

Established Member
I suggest you also keep to the facts. This was the underground....

Was it King Cross station? For dutch media railwaystation and underground located at the same location.

Clip

Established Member
Was it King Cross station? For dutch media railwaystation and underground located at the same location.

Yes but when they evacuate one they dont always evacuate the other. Happens very rarely that both go out at the same time.

Established Member

Kings Cross station was NOT evacuated or closed. Kings Cross St Pancras tube station was closed to prevent congestion apparently.

Status
Not open for further replies.