• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

1H55 1751 Littlehampton to London Victoria

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jona26

Currently sat on this train at Hove waiting departure. According to RTT its booked times are arr 18:40, dep 18:50. However it also has 1.5 minute pathing allowance at Aldrington and 1 minute performance allowance at Hove.

Just curious as to why these extra minutes are needed in addition to the wait at Hove.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

louis97

Established Member
Currently sat on this train at Hove waiting departure. According to RTT its booked times are arr 18:40, dep 18:50. However it also has 1.5 minute pathing allowance at Aldrington and 1 minute performance allowance at Hove.

Just curious as to why these extra minutes are needed in addition to the wait at Hove.
The wait at Hove is to return to booked path. The train runs earlier from Littlehampton to call additionally at the stations with no West Worthing to Brighton stoppers. The train has to run that early because it has to fit between the Portsmouth/Southampton to Brighton services.

IrishDave

The <1> performance time is mandated in the Timetable Planning Rules - all trains approaching Preston Park from Hove require <1> on approach to Preston Park (i.e. after Hove).

I can't work out why you'd need the (1½) mins pathing though - possibly it was timed based on a different platforming plan, e.g. if the 18:36 from Hove to Southampton (1N28) was in platform 2, not platform 3, you'd need a 3-minute margin after that before 1H55 could arrive.

Eloise

Suspect it is marrying up the existing path on the Brighton Main Line with a new or hybrid path on the Coastway. The pathing may well be there for a train not currently running, unfortunately it can be easier to leave these things in under STP than revalidate the whole path. If I get chance on Monday I'll take a look at the graph.

LA50041

Established Member
Suspect it is marrying up the existing path on the Brighton Main Line with a new or hybrid path on the Coastway. The pathing may well be there for a train not currently running, unfortunately it can be easier to leave these things in under STP than revalidate the whole path. If I get chance on Monday I'll take a look at the graph.
This is correct.
As Louis97 said this train picks up the stops from the cancelled West Worthing's but needs to run in front of 1S31. If it ran behind 1S31 it would then be behind Thameslink 9T54 from Preston Park and unless there is a way of getting past at some point, both use FL/QL all the way, be 15 late by ECR.

Eloise

Looking at the graph it looks like 1H55 has been made a hybrid path. It leaves Littlehampton much earlier in the path of 2E47 and runs in 2E47’s path and calling pattern along the Coastway. It then sits at Hove and waits the booked path of 1H55 on the Brighton Main Line.

Status
Not open for further replies.