• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

1st or Standard...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

williamn

Hi all,
Generally when travelling on Virgin West Coast I try and go 1st as its so much more spacious and the food and booze is a nice bonus.

I'm planning a trip to Glasgow in September and travelling on a Saturday. Given the 1st class food service is so limited at the weekend I'm wondering if the difference (£20 standard, £55 1st) is really worth it. Also I'm on the 06.05 from London. Would I be right in assuming this won't be a very busy train anyway?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Crossover

Established Member
I would book the Standard and upgrade on the day. I'm fairly sure you can upgrade Advance tickets - the only time you wouldn't be able to upgrade is if First was too busy, but at that time of morning, I can't imagine that being an issue

SaveECRewards

I would book the Standard and upgrade on the day. I'm fairly sure you can upgrade Advance tickets - the only time you wouldn't be able to upgrade is if First was too busy, but at that time of morning, I can't imagine that being an issue

You can upgrade advance tickets on VT and VTEC, but beware not all train operators allow it. For example Grand Central exclude advance tickets from weekend first.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Weekend First is £15 on VTWC and is well worth it for the relative peace and quiet and extra space on a 4hr+ journey.

CC 72100

Established Member
Weekend First is £15 on VTWC and is well worth it for the relative peace and quiet and extra space on a 4hr+ journey.

Surely the OP should therefore go for the standard ticket and then upgrade on the day if they feel it would be worth it then.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
For a combined total of £35, that would indeed be good value in my opinion.

Kite159

Veteran Member
It's very good value, for a 4.5 hour (or 5.5 hour if going via World's End [Wolverhampton]).

Worth it for the larger seats, free wi-fi and a more relaxing atmosphere (even better when it's free when you get a 390/0 which hasn't had coach G changed)

williamn

Thanks all. have gone for the bargain £20 standard fare and will try and upgrade on the day. Can't imagine it'll be all that busy...

Bungle965

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
It's very good value, for a 4.5 hour (or 5.5 hour if going via World's End [Wolverhampton]).

Worth it for the larger seats, free wi-fi and a more relaxing atmosphere (even better when it's free when you get a 390/0 which hasn't had coach G changed)
World End Wolverhampton lol Not exactly a place to stop off for more than let's say... an hour.

Last edited:

Lee_Again

Check the football fixtures for likely loads even at 6am. It won't be 6am for the whole journey. Celtic and Rangers will generate traffic further north. A London team playing anywhere north of Crew will fill the train too. If you want to sit in First buy the ticket now. Avoid the risk.

Last edited:

Kite159

Veteran Member
Check the football fixtures for likely loads even at 6am. It won't be 6am for the whole journey. Celtic and Rangers will generate traffic further north. A London team playing anywhere north of Crew will fill the train too. If you want to sit in First buy the ticket now. Avoid the risk.

Football fans paying for 1st class? They would rather spend the money on extra beer and take over standard class ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.