• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

1Y08 0539 Sunderland to London Kings Cross - 26/04/22

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darandio

Established Member
Anyone know what's happened 1Y08 this morning? 254 down approaching York and it crawled past one of the York rail cameras at no more than 5mph. Up traffic is now being routed around it on the slows and over to the down main.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Anyone know what's happened 1Y08 this morning? 254 down approaching York and it crawled past one of the York rail cameras at no more than 5mph. Up traffic is now being routed around it on the slows.

LNER Twitter simply said "damage to this train". And that there's a problem on the line between Newcastle and York.

OLE or a pantograph fault perhaps?

_toommm_

Established Member
It’s showing currently as being curtailed to York due to a fault on this train. Not sure of the specific fault as I can just see the generic reason code.

DanNCL

Established Member
I was on 1E04, we passed 1Y08 (which was stationary on the slow line) just south of Tollerton at what can’t have been more than 40mph, having ran at that speed from around Thirsk

Darandio

Established Member
It's currently being held outside the station by the looks of things. Remains to be seen whether they will give it a chance to crawl in under it's own power once they get a decent gap in the hope it doesn't block the station throat.

Edit*

Seems it's been given the chance to try but hasn't actually made it into the platforms at York yet so must still be crawling. Meanwhile another service that was initially sent onto the slows to go around it is now blocking the down main.

Last edited:

LowLevel

Established Member
Train apparently hit a small animal and came to a stand, now proceeding very slowly due to reported tread damage to the wheels/on board alarms. Should just about be at York now.

Darandio

Established Member
Just crawling into the platform now. It will be interesting to see what picks it up later, assuming the issue can't be fixed on site.

Thanks for the updates chaps.

LowLevel

Established Member
Just crawling into the platform now. It will be interesting to see what picks it up later, assuming the issue can't be fixed on site.

Thanks for the update chaps.
It's going on to Holgate Sidings for further examination.

DanNCL

Established Member
Train apparently hit a small animal and came to a stand, now proceeding very slowly due to reported tread damage to the wheels/on board alarms. Should just about be at York now.
Different ways of handling these situations I guess. Last autumn I was on a 158 that hit a sheep on the Tyne Valley Line - the driver got out, chucked the remains of the sheep to the side of the line, got back in the cab and off we went again at line speed as if nothing had happened!

_toommm_

Established Member
Different ways of handling these situations I guess. Last autumn I was on a 158 that hit a sheep on the Tyne Valley Line - the driver got out, chucked the remains of the sheep to the side of the line, got back in the cab and off we went again at line speed as if nothing had happened!

The Tyne Valley line is a different kettle of fish compared to the ECML though, with drastically different speeds. It may have been that the sheep barely left a dent in the 158, but did a bit more damage to the Azuma.

Bayum

Established Member
The Tyne Valley line is a different kettle of fish compared to the ECML though, with drastically different speeds. It may have been that the sheep barely left a dent in the 158, but did a bit more damage to the Azuma.
As well as the fact that the onboard systems are proclaiming damage and problems after the incident.

DanNCL

Established Member
As well as the fact that the onboard systems are proclaiming damage and problems after the incident.
Oh indeed I’m not disputing that, although I have to admit I was a bit surprised at just how much of a difference there is in terms of impact between the two.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Given the wheel damage, is it not also possible that more damage came from an emergency brake application trying to avoid/mitigate a collision rather than the collision with the animal itself?

skyhigh

Established Member
Oh indeed I’m not disputing that, although I have to admit I was a bit surprised at just how much of a difference there is in terms of impact between the two.
Depends where the impact was on the train. Even with two separate identical 158s hitting identical objects, the location the item hits can cause major differences. You can run over a deer with no major damage or hit a pheasant and get a hole in an air pipe. Every situation is different.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I liked the timing as being "pathed for 100mph" which felt a touch optimistic :lol:

Established Member
The train after the impact was authorised to move forward at 10mph to York.
A Hitachi fitter was taken to the train and it was only deemed able to move forward at that speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.