• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

1Z81 0610 Hastings to Sheringham N N Railway

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

John Webb

Established Member
It was the preserved Hastings Diesel-Electric multiple unit (class 201) on a tour to the North Norfolk Railway.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
It's one of a number of DEMU's that served the London - Hastings line between 1957 and electrification in 1987. The carriages were built to a special narrow body profile to fit through the narrow tunnels. The unit also includes a CEP trailer and a BIG buffet car built for the Kent electrification scheme between 1958 - 62 and the replacement of electric stock on the Portsmouth lines in 1970 respectively:

http://www.hastingsdiesels.co.uk/

It was a splendid tour :)

Last edited:

Phil.

Established Member
Just to put the lid on it there were three types of Hastings DEMU.
These were 6S, 6L and 6B.
The 6 refers to the number of coaches.
S and L refers to the body length. S being a 57' body whilst L was a 63' body. A 6B was a 6L with a buffet car.

dk1

Veteran Member
Due to very severe overcrowding on the 11:45 Norwich-Sheringham (153v156) AGA control requested that 1Z81 convey Cromer passengers but this was refused by Hastings Diesels as the train was fully booked. As passengers refused to leave the 153 the crew refused to take it & the service was cancelled. After around 70 Sheringham passengers where transferred to road transport the service was re-instated to follow 1Z81 & terminate Cromer.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Due to very severe overcrowding on the 11:45 Norwich-Sheringham (153v156) AGA control requested that 1Z81 convey Cromer passengers but this was refused by Hastings Diesels as the train was fully booked. As passengers refused to leave the 153 the crew refused to take it & the service was cancelled. After around 70 Sheringham passengers where transferred to road transport the service was re-instated to follow 1Z81 & terminate Cromer.

It doesn't surprise me that a 153 struggled. The usual 156 tends to be well loaded in my experience and Sheringham was certainly very busy this summer Saturday.

What a day to chuck out a 153 !

The NNR has a 1st gen DMU. Pity they couldn't borrow that !

Last edited:

Kite159

Veteran Member

So that is what happened with that 153, I wondered why it was so late when hanging around Gunton station in the sunshine it rolled in 40-odd minutes late.

Shame AGA couldn't get the 68s out to cover a Yarmouth service to allow the two 153s running around to be attached, although I guess having 170270 in the depot having some sort of work done to it (plus I think another 153 hiding in between the Mk3 coaches) didn't help things in terms of DMU availability

dk1

Veteran Member
Shame AGA couldn't get the 68s out to cover a Yarmouth service to allow the two 153s running around to be attached, although I guess having 170270 in the depot having some sort of work done to it (plus I think another 153 hiding in between the Mk3 coaches) didn't help things in terms of DMU availability

There where 6 units stopped at start of day. Not sure if any DRS drivers where available as nobody at AGA signs 68s. Did hear that they where very low on fuel also.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
I was on that HDL Railtour on Saturday, it was an excellent day, the train ran very well, especially on the return journey when at one stage we were almost 30 minutes, not our fault, but we had to await late running service trains on some sections of single track, any way after about Thetford towards London we had some very fast running and I think were two mins early arriving at Kenny O. It was interesting going over the newish crossing between the two stations at Sheringham. Then going through to Holt.

I was interested to see two T&T diesel trains at Norwich too, each with 3 carriages, DRS Hauled I Think, one set of carriages in DRS Livery, due to take a non stop service to Great Yarmouth and the other on the far side in the Old Anglia Livery which was appropriate.

Last edited:

dk1

Veteran Member
I was on thatHDL Railtour on Saturday, it was an excellent day, the train ran very well, especially on the return journey when at one stage we were almost 30 minutes, not our fault, but we had to await late running service trains on some sections of single track, any way after about Thetford towards London we had some very fast running and I think were two mins early arrving at Kenny O. It was interesting going over the newish crossing between the two stations at Sheringham. Then going through to Holt.

I was interested to see two T&T diesel trains at Norwich too, each with 3 carriages, DRS Hauled I Think, one set of carriages in DRS Livery, due to take a non stop service to Great Yarmouth and the other on the far side in the Old Anglia Liver which was appropriate.

My 17:35 Cambridge was going to leave Norwich first followed by the 17:50 Nottingham but as AGA had caused you some delays on the branch it was agreed that you would depart first as a good will gesture & thus caused a delay of 6 minutes to my train by Wymondham as I waited for you to clear the signalling sections ahead. Even though I stopped there, Attleborough, Eccles, Harling, Thetford, Brandon & Ely I caught you up at Coldham Lane & was hoping to hear you 'thump' off from the middle road at Cambridge but as I ran into P5 your signal went R>Y>YY>G & you shot off. Glad you had a good day.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I was on thatHDL Railtour on Saturday, it was an excellent day, the train ran very well, especially on the return journey when at one stage we were almost 30 minutes, not our fault, but we had to await late running service trains on some sections of single track, any way after about Thetford towards London we had some very fast running and I think were two mins early arrving at Kenny O. It was interesting going over the newish crossing between the two stations at Sheringham. Then going through to Holt.

I was interested to see two T&T diesel trains at Norwich too, each with 3 carriages, DRS Hauled I Think, one set of carriages in DRS Livery, due to take a non stop service to Great Yarmouth and the other on the far side in the Old Anglia Liver which was appropriate.

Yes, a nice dramatic run down the ECML :)

Philip C

Yes, a nice dramatic run down the ECML :)

In my part of the train we ran up the ECML! To my surprise we were not overtaken by any East Coast mainline trains (VTEC, Hull Trains or Grand Central) between Hitchin and the point of divergence for Camden Road. Perhaps this was as well, as an overtaking EMU in one of the tunnels near Potters Bar put all the cutlery, paperwork etc. etc. up in the air! As ever it was a delight to hear the old lady's roar when presented with a clear road once more.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
In my part of the train we ran up the ECML! To my surprise we were not overtaken by any East Coast mainline trains (VTEC, Hull Trains or Grand Central) between Hitchin and the point of divergence for Camden Road. Perhaps this was as well, as an overtaking EMU in one of the tunnels near Potters Bar put all the cutlery, paperwork etc. etc. up in the air! As ever it was a delight to hear the old lady's roar when presented with a clear road once more.

Oh yes, schoolboy error of mine :lol:

Getting taken over by the electric in the tunnel was very noisy but very effective air conditioning (if you don't mind a bit of soot!).

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member

Yes that was amazing when everything went up in the air in the tunnels.

Status
Not open for further replies.