• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

2-years work history

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamess115

During a recent interview with a toc, they said they would need to see two years work history for acceptance. Does anyone on here know why this is necessary and whether it pertains to full or part time work?

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
It pertains to all work. A responsible employer will want to follow best practice and statutory requirements in order to satisfy themselves that the person they wish to appoint is suitable for the role and the organisation.

The work history bit is to ensure that people are who they say there are, not so much in terms of identity but that they have, in fact, got the experience and skills from previous employment that they say they have.

The most common way of doing this is by references from an applicants most recent employment, plus from any other employer which may seem relevant. My organisation requires a minimum of two such references in most circumstances, though naturally there are exceptions for people who are returning to work after a break, or have just left full time education. A work history is necessary in order to ascertain who to contact, and is normally found in the persons application.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
1. Because if you have a 'gap' it could mean that you were in prison etc.

True, I neglected to mention that as all of our recruitment requires a DBS check.

TDK

Established Member
1. Because if you have a 'gap' it could mean that you were in prison etc.
2. Both full and part time work in the last 2 years.

The prison thing is nothing to do with it as you will be vetted for that.

Journeyman

Established Member
One of the trickiest things with the requirements to prove what you were doing is explaining any time you've had out of work. I've had a couple of recent periods of unemployment, of a couple of months each, and I've been asked to prove what I was doing - very tricky indeed given that I wasn't claiming benefits. I've been using my volunteer work at a heritage railway and in running a youth club as proof of doing something, and that usually seems to keep employers happy. Anything you're regularly involved in will do.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
One of the trickiest things with the requirements to prove what you were doing is explaining any time you've had out of work. I've had a couple of recent periods of unemployment, of a couple of months each, and I've been asked to prove what I was doing - very tricky indeed given that I wasn't claiming benefits. I've been using my volunteer work at a heritage railway and in running a youth club as proof of doing something, and that usually seems to keep employers happy. Anything you're regularly involved in will do.

I've had a couple of periods of unemployment, and a 'gap' 6 months which I spent playing cricket and travelling about a bit before going to college. Like you I claimed no benefits in that time, but I never had any problems explaining what I was doing.

Most places are more than happy to accept voluntary work. Even if it's unrelated tot he position being applied for it demonstrates a work ethic, reliability and commitment. If there are transferable skills involved, then even better.

A-driver

Established Member
The prison thing is nothing to do with it as you will be vetted for that.

Well you would think but none of the TOCs I have worked for as HR or as a driver have done a CRB check on me.

Status
Not open for further replies.