• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

2023 Antipodean foray to UK and Europe

Status
Not open for further replies.

railfan99

Established Member
It's unusual to start a rail holiday with an air journey so I thought we should not.

And so it was on Sunday 3 September 2023 that my wife and I boarded the 1950 hours overnight XPT of government-owned NSW TrainLink at Melbourne's gloomy Southern Cross station for the 960 kilometre trip to Sydney.

Departure was 13 late but Monday morning arrival 69 late at 0809 due to speed restrictions between Goulburn (222 km from Sydney) and Campbelltown. A light breakfast was provided to sleeping car passengers, and we slept OK. There are showers on board but we did not avail.

Locos were XP2006 with XP2011 at rear. The train was full, being the usual six cars. Occasiknally seven are run but some of these c.41 year old locos can be sluggish.

Attachments

• IMG-20230904-WA0006.jpg
    IMG-20230904-WA0006.jpg
    232.3 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

railfan99

Established Member
After an overnight stay in Sydney's CBD, on Tuesday 3 September we used the Wynyard to International airport train with its A$16.00 per person surcharge on top of normal Opal card fares.

We then boarded PR212 to Manila that had 17 of 18 J business class seats occupied, 8 of 24 in W premium economy and 241 of 259 IURC in economy.

A refurbished in 2017 A330-300 was the combined loco, passengef car and freight wagon. A mail van was not attached as the northbound is carried by the Quaint And Nasty Aerial Service whose CEO subsequently resigned.

Due to air traffic controllers going off sick - hmmm - we departed 21 late at 1051. After holding MNL arroval at Terminsl 1 was at 1716, 16 late.

The business class cabin is 1-2-1, so comfortable. Service was excellent.

railfan99

Established Member
After a brief stay in Metro Manila that was a pleasant 28 degrees, cooler than as I was to find out southern UK, on Thursday 7 Sept i hailed a taxi. The driver wanted P1000 but eventually I gave him P350 for the P190 cost. The trip at 0400 from hotel to Manila NAIA took 18 minutes.

Check in.at Oman Air for WY844, tge 0715 hours to Muscat, was fast. I was soon in the very poor PAGGS lounge that lacked yoghurt. Staff were pleasant but that was about it. My wife was headed elsewhere.

The WY flight was the usual Boeing 787-900 without first class. 12 of 18 J seats had posteriors while Y was full.

While Oman is 2-2-2 in J, it has the famed Apex suites that give direct aisle access to window seat hoggers of which I was one.

Dine on demand is offered. Food was first class and service attentive. We pushed back at 0729 and after obtaining an hour's sleep thanks to the supplied mattress, we arrived 24 early at 1136 hours.

The WY Muscat lounge is outstandibg so I had a healthy salad and unhealthy miniature cakes.

railfan99

Established Member
Time waits for no one so soon one had to board thd London-bound flagship. WY101 had B789 A40-SF, one of onky two with first class suites.

Business class was full with its cavalcade of non-oil peasants.

There is a good privacy screen in J so aisle seat occupers do not have to look at me.

The crew were notably keen to push the meals out. Service lacked the Filipina finesse ex Manila. We pushed back at 1408 and after a brief hold arrived London Heathrow at 1905, five early.

I booked the PR fare on sale through my Melbourne travel agent for just under A$3000 return in J while the Oman Air J was via its website at A$3150 return.

Fares in the other direction i.e. originating at Heathrow seem higher.

Last edited:

railfan99

Established Member
I was through LHR immigration in no time.

Amazingly my suitcase arrived and so with 10 seconds to spare, I boarded the 1945 hours ex T4 Elizabeth line train.

Oh dear - near Paddibgton there was a signal failure so we were turfed out at the high level. However many including other Australians must not have listened to the driver, so I had to suggest to some that they detrain.

It was quite late by the time I arrived at East Croydon for a rest in a proper bed.

railfan99

Established Member
Future posts may be sporadic as I prefer to write on a PC not a smartphone.

Also please note I continue to lack the knowledge re your railcar classes so when I am mistaken, feel free to correct.

Suffice to say tonight, Friday 15 September I am.in the north, well away from Londres.

Last edited:

railfan99

Established Member
When one teavels overseas, 'both' is often not a feasible answer to 'which one' given limited time.

Initially I planned Spa Valley Railway as part of 'three in three days' on preserved railways in the south of England.

However given not every line runs daily, by switching I could visit Bluebell Railway on a two train, more interesting day. One or two forum members also suggested Mid Hants was worth a visit and preferable to Spa Valley so thank you to those contributors.

I liked the graduated ramps at East Croydon even though long. So on Friday 8 September, I boarded Southern's comfortably loaded but no standees 0853 hours with 377153 as part of the 12 cars, arriving East Croydon 10 minutes later.

The footbridge was not very busy but it was after trains allowing for an 0900 hours central London office arrival would have departed, so that combined with WFH on Fridays may give the answer.

The next train was the 0902 Clapham Jct to Alton with 450001 leading a 12 car consist.

While this rollingstock was not a 2023 build, I found it confortable. The rural scenery was most pleasant. My continuous two month 1st class Eurailpass was checked by a friendly staff member. It was enchanting to see ferns in forests en route. We arrived Alton at 100620, 20 seconds late so essentially on time.

The impressive Waitrose supermarket was busy and had quality flavoured milk.

Notably, passengers were continually using the ticket office at Alton.

railfan99

Established Member
Because I travelled on an earlier train than planned, I had to wait for a volunteer to open the gate to platform 3 at Alton.

He kindly stored my suitcase. The Mid Hants Railway's platform 3 was immaculate. A small number of others connected by train but Alresford with its parking is the main traffic source. The SM gave all the pkants a drink as later on, it was about 29 degrees. This is not hot by Melbourne standards but the high humidity was taxing, reminiscent of Metro Manila in July.

Steam loco 41312 hauled four cars including griddle S51112 with departure at 1200 noon, on time.

We had a good number of 78 travelling including 20 or so from a Portsmouth government school. A teacher said three groups would use it this year. The children were given excellent explanations by a MHR hi-vis equjpped volunteer. The railway has found Friday running successful, having deleted some other weekdays. It hopes to carry 80,000 per annum.

The first section had cooling forest. The final part had open fields.

We arrived at Alresford at 1237, three minutes early where slow service in the West Country Buffet saw me wait some time for a good value sausage roll. Diesel D3462 was in the dock platform.

railfan99

Established Member
Departure from Alresford at 1300 was on time with Ropley arrival at 1308.

Admiring the excellent topiary at Ropley, I chatted to the friendly volunteer SM along with signalman Ian who worked the 30 lever frame.

The restoration viewing area was impressive. The school group was also here, being guided, and were given a packet lunch to enjoy on the grass. Stupidly, I lacked a hat so when the Ropley station shop reopened, its stock of drinks and icd creams became lower.

I then caught 41312 back to Alresford on the 1428 hours, and subsequently the lightly patronised 1500 hours back to Alton. GWR 5239 was among locos at Ropley.

railfan99

Established Member
At Alton with arrival at 1540 I easily connected to the 1544 Southern train with 440279. My ticket was not checked prior to alighting from this 10 car train (440279) at Aldershot at 1604. From this historic station, I joined the 1610 to Ash where 450037's arrival was punctual at 1617.

This was an earlier train than planned but it turned out to not be advantageous due to differing frequencies.

I watched units such as a well loaded three car GWR at 1630 with 165110 pick up 15 passengers on the down, bound for Reading. 450042 on the up fir Guildford had far fewer passengers.

Eventually I joined 165111 running eight minutes late from Ash at 1659. My ticket was checked: the lady had visited Australia and liked everything except the long distances. I enjoyed the scenic Surrey Hills. Chilworth with its level crossing gates was admired.

Arriving at Redhill at 1756, I just made the 1802 hours to Tonbridge given it was a lengthy walk. It was pleasing that three car 377332 had a toilet. The train was well loaded. En route two revenue protection officers nabbed two 16 year old lads for ticketless travel. But a GBP57 fine won't dissuade them. Perhaps their parents will give them a talking to. Tonbridge arfival was rwo late at 1833.

railfan99

Established Member
On Sat 9 September 2023, 375706 as part of an eight car Southeastern train departed Tonbridge punctually at 0807. I was surprised by the lack of automated screen-based train departure information prior to the ticket barriers.

Arrival at London Bridge at a two minute late 0840 hrs allowed for a meander (not a Leander) prior to boarding a very well loaded Bighton-bound Thameslink for a 13 minute trip to East Croydon. This was to be by English standards a very warm to hot day so good on these folk for getting ahead of tge 1030 hours train users. There were no standees but almost every seat was occupied.

I transferred to winner 377402 that left East Croydon a minute behind at 0911 with Southern Railway depositing a few of us at East Grinstead at 0950, bang on time. There was a bit of padding in the schedule.

At EG I could not resist visiting a busy Szinsbury's. I observed Bluebell Railway steam loco 65 departing on the Pullman breakfast specizl at 1046. The volunteers said not many were booked but there seemed to be more than 40. Judging by their dress, most if not all were upper middle class or above.

I then joined 89151 hauling four cars. It pulled out a minute behind at 1131, crossed Fenchurch hauling four cars at Horsted Keynes from 1152 to 1211 and arrived Sheffield Park at 1228, eight late. Here I retired to the station' Bessemer Arms Hotel for a much needed beer and then a soft drink.

railfan99

Established Member
Just popping in to say that I'm very much enjoying this thread.

Thanks, but do not be reticent in correcting errors.

My interest is principally covering as much of the system as possible. Tonight I am in salubrious Shipley but I will get to that later. It is so slow to post via a smartphone, compared to my home PC.

Veteran Member
My interest is principally covering as much of the system as possible. Tonight I am in salubrious Shipley but I will get to that later.
Hope you enjoyed it - I heard you were coming and fled :)
Shame a couple of the best eateries have recently closed.

Better start my own trip report after saying that.

Iskra

Established Member
I’m enjoying reading about your travels, please keep them coming!

All being well, I should be having a ride behind A4 class Sir Nigel Gresley on the mainline and visiting the Bluebell Railway myself within the next week :)

railfan99

Established Member
Sunday 10 September was at a more leisurely pace.

I boarded the 0932 hours ex Tonbridge to historic Tunbridge Wells station. It had 375707 in a four car consist, operating bang on time. Half an hour later I joined 375815 with its eight car consist, arriving Robertsbridge one late at 1037 hours.

Here paul1609 kindly met me. I inspected the impressive Robertsbridge Junction setup of the 'other organisation' including the professionally built turntable. Volunteers were friendly.

I marvelled at how in the 21st century the Kent and East Sussex extension from Bodiam will be allowed to cross a main road. Thank you to Huw Merriman MP!

I then quickly purchased a ticket at Bodiam and enjoyed travel behind diesel 33202 and a five car train, including 'Petros', the first disabled friendly conversion worldwide on a preserved railway.

Again it was another warm day at around 28 so after Paul drove his steed to Tenterden Town, we adjourned to a fish n chip shop for lunch. Unlike my first fish n chips in the UK 30 years ago, this meal was great. Food in the UK has dramatically improved in those 30 years.

Steam WD132 then conveyed me on a return trip. The forward journey to Bodiam was in attractively restored LNER carriage 6197.

Patronage was good. K&ESR had also operated a dining car train that on my first trip was crossed at Northiam.

The musuem at Tenterden Town was very good.

Paul conveyed me to Headcorn, a station lacking lifts, with 375803 and 375921 on the lightly patronised 1713 hours departing three late for a 22 minute run to Tonbridge.

A cheap meal at the Wetherspoons beckoned. Good value!

Huge thanks again to paul1609. A belated Happy Birthday!

railfan99

Established Member
There is no rest for the wicked so on Monday 11 Southeastern's 375901 conveyed my self loading freight from a quiet Tonbridge to Charing Cross arrival at 0658 hours. The rail by the train door allowed one to niftily store a suitcase and raise its handle inside the rail. This stopped Mr Case from slip sliding away.

I am no great fan of London terminal transfers when carrying a 21 kilogram case and eight or nine kilogram backpack but this did not stop my boarding 4261. Stupidly I had to transfer at a Tube station but still reached Paddington at 0734 for tge lengthy trek to the GWR main line platforms. I was cunningly running ahead of my plans so not only does an early bird catch worms but he also gives himsekf leeway.

I boarded GWR's 0803 down Plymouth with 802102 which IIRC is an IET. For some inexplicable reason a wheelchair passenger boarded my first class car with staff assistance even though she should have been in the similar wheelchair space in standard class. One of the children was in a tracksuit. 'Ple-eze' as exasperated bogans from the strange island continent might utter.

I was not offered refreshments until 0905. Poor! All I wanted was a hot choco and a biscuit. Others on the forum suggest GWR catering has declined.

Exeter St Davids arrival was at 1012 hours.

I transferred to the pleasingly busy 1051 hours to Exnouth with 166204, departing five late. Great to see the line being used.

The female conductor/guard efficiently checked tickets and was friendly. She had not previously seen a paper Eurailpass. Well done for checking and not just staying in the back cab.

Oddly for what I'd call a suburban service, it did not stop at St James Park or another station. This sort of timetabling off peak is endemic in UK and some European nations. It is not the case in Victoria, Oz

At Topsham, we crossed two car 158766. Upon our Exmouth 1120 hrs arrival, many were waiting for the up that departed in double quick time at 1124.

I walked via a row of classic period English double storey terrace houses - mundane for you locals - the 15 minutes plus to the Exmouth Marina for the hourly small ferry to Starcross. The walk could have been better signposted.

Last edited:

railfan99

Established Member
The Starcross ferry MV PRINCESS MARINA arrived at Exmouth at 1234 with 13 disembarking. We did not have to queue. We simply walked down the ramp where the boatman took my GBP5. There were five passengers, two of whom had bikes costing two quid extra per bike.

The trip was smooth with Starcross pier arrival at 1257 so a shade under 15 minutes. A kind gent carried my case up the 10 or so steps to the pier. There were 14 waiting to pay for the next Exmouth departure so a
patronage varies. Its brochure says the c.1700 trips run until September. Ambiguous. They actually finish on 31 August.

Ferry times are not coordinated with rail.

At the minimalist Starcross station, a GWR employee arrived by road and changed some station posters on the up platform. He also fiddled with a mechanism attached to a post or light pole. I remain unsure what he was doing.

I joined two car 150219, departing at 1347, four late, with two on. There were about 35 others. More boarded at the two Dawlish stations. Newton Abbot arrival was 1407, three minutes behind.

Last edited:

railfan99

Established Member
From Newton Abbot there was an efficient connection to the 1409 hours to Plymouth, formed by a CrossCountry set IIRC that I failed to record. We departed four late, arriving Plymouth at 1449. Unlike from BA, no ticket check occurred.

At Plymouth the Royal Navy had officers meeting and greeting with about 50 new sailors taking a seat near the ticket office. Taxis were hard to come by as my hotel was not an easy walk. I was very tired so was asleep by 1930 hours.

Tuesday 12 saw me take the number 36 bus to opposite Plymouth station. It had 25 passengers and was single deck.

At 0847 hours a timely departure was made with 802003 in a five car consist. The set was extremely clean, but not well patronised. My ticket was checked en route. At St Gernans the occupant of the Rail Holidays car in the dock platform was raising a blind. Not for me that luxury at 0902 hours.

We arrived Bodmin Parkway at 0928, two late. The Bodmin and Wenford Railway's cafe was open, attracting good patronage. The lady had to contact Bodmin General before issuing me a ticket as strangely seats are reserved. Most heritage railways do not do this.

I struggled with my case over the footbridge. GWR trains, five in all, came and went. Lots of 'normal' passengers were using the station. It badly needs lifts given the former barrow crossing gas been closed.

GWR steam loco 5552 had a three car consist, departing two late at 1102. At Genersl from 1119 to a fiftteen minute late departure at 1205, a fourth car was added as there was a large line of at least 30 passengers buying tickets.

We had an impressive 128 passengers on the Boscarne Junction run. We stopped there from 1216 to 1228 while 5552 ran round. The journey was scenic.

I was at Bodmin General again from 1241 to 1326. The cafe did a roaring trade. Very pleasing!

We pulled out of Bodmin General at 1321 hours, six late with arrival at Parkway at 1337, five late. Here I had an enjoyable chat to newsletter editor Jimmy. He said summer patronage had been reasonable.

Last edited:

railfan99

Established Member
43152 topped and 43092 tailed the five car GWR consist. It pulled out if Bodmin Parkway at 1409, four late, arriving at 1420 at Liskeard.

I walked to the stub terminal that is platform 3 for 150266 to convey me, departing on time at 1446 with 31 passengers. 17 had alighted from the arrival.

Presumably to allow a good frequency, this railcar ran express, arriving Looe at 1511, three early after the mandatory 'stops for Departmental purposes only' as the then Victorian Railways' timetables used to state when government owned. '...for private company/franchisee...' does not have quite the same ring to it.

railfan99

Established Member
In more re 12 September. Looe was left on time at 1516. I enjoyed the scenic run. Another rail enthusuast/fan/gricer/anorak/gunzel was on board.

Liskeard arrival was two minutes ahead at 1546. After conversing with this friendly Scot, I commenced an instant weight loss program pulling my 21kg suitcase up the gradient while having a 9kg backpack on...you guessed correctly...back.

The next GWR five car set departed at 1615, a minute behind, arriving St Erth on time at 1731. These sets tended to be very clean and smooth. The good tracks help, to state the obvious.

railfan99

Established Member
True rail lovers love swinging off the main line and onto the branch. Apologies to Dr B RIP, but I am no exception.

150261-+50246 formed the vranch offering, occupying 1748 to 1800. Again, Japanese and Swiss punctuality!

I can be prone to making mistakes. Trundling a case and pack up hill and down not-so-dale was another at St Ives where the Spoons offered for a meal and drink.

Struggling back to the stun as we sometimes call it in the strange southern land, the same set of units (as you call railcars( presented for a 1934 departure and an 11 minute run to St Erth.

Having bought souvenir child singles to Carbis Bay at St Ives, I noted 12 tickets had been issued in my 90 minutes there from the machine.

By the way the lady on.my Looe train said one day recently she sold 191 tickets. Well done!

A pleasant chap drove me from the branch plaform at St Ives to the down platform, avoiding the footbrjdge. St Erth may eventually get lifts but the vehicle was electric and felt new. Oh what a trendoid was I.

802001 on a nine car IET departed at 2007, six late, arriving Penzabce at 2015.

I retired temporarily to the 1st class lounge. Eventually there were about eight others.

Last edited:

railfan99

Established Member
We were allowed to board the stylish 'Night Riviera' from about 2115. Loco 57605 did the honours the whole way. It was an eight car consist with five sleepers, namely cars E to G inclusive. I was in E: 10563. The staff were heard saying G was empty but the rest had all compartments occupied. As GWR does not have the Australian NSW TrainLink policy of booking strangers in with each other, i was alone.

As I noted last year, these cars ride extremely well. The berths seem a bit narrow but the mattress and linen plus the pillow were excellent. It was annoying not to have showers on.board but the UK only rectfied this in 2019 with CS.

Many sleeping car users joined en route. I was tired so slept well. Arrival at Paddington was 0459, five early. The breakfast arrived as requested at 0615. I alighted by 0630 although one can extend to 0645.

railfan99

Established Member
On Wednesday 13, I completed a 16 minute TfL Tube connection to London Victoria where i waited to see from which platform the RTC Swanage tour using loco Bahamas would use. I asked some fans, who said normally 1 or 2.

However 47746 of West Coast Rail brought in the nine car consist at about 0745. After loading passengers, 45596 Bahamas departed six late at 0821.

I was in one of the two peasant class cars, 5032.

One chap near ne talked non stop for two hours, but all were pleasant. I had bought a copy of The Telegraph and sat near a gent who read The Guardian. C'est....

We were 20 late by Basingstoke. Our car was near the rear so often we could not hear the loco even when it neared 125kmh.

In the two Oz states currently operating mainline steam tours, Victoria and NSW, passengers can put their heads out the window. The ban on this in UK detracts from enjoying a steam or diesel tour. I was also informed by other fans that one cannot walk through the premium dlass cars to be close to the loco in a vestibule.

It was good to see Freightliner locos and loaded intermodal wagons just past Southampton Central.

We swung onto the branch, always good, at Worgret Junction at 1255, arriving Swanage half an hour later, just 15 minutes behind schedule.

It was a relief to escape the Mk I car as every seat was booked. I believe more than 300 were on the tour. The Swanage Railway had arranged for its normal service using 34070 and five cars to be in the dock or second platform to ensure we were not further delayed.

railfan99

Established Member
I walked the town, visited a small museum, purchased some postcards, enjoyed looking at some historic buildins but being used to often outstanding Filipino white sand beaches, I regret to inform I was underwhelmed by Swanage's offering. No wonder so many of you go to Spain. However the town was clean and not a lot of shopfronts were vacant.

railfan99

Established Member
The RTC tour left Swanage 15 behind at 1605 with diesel 47726 abd Bahamas tender first at rear. Some elderly passengers had difficulty in boarding and left it until pretty much the last minute.

At Wareham 1642-43, there was an efficient 60 second crew change. At Bournemouth, 1708-09, we did the same with guards.

The Southampton reversal occupied 1756 to 1802 meaning further new trackage for me. Bahamas took water from 1922 to 1943 at Basingstoke with some commuters off a down watching.

It was a slow run to London Victoria with a 12 late, 2148 hours arrival.

I was sleepy but somehow managed to travel via the Tube to Paddo by 2217 hours.

Feeling like a deal breaking business mogul who'd travelled to The City for the day, I showered in the platform 1 GWR lounge and boarded the Night Riv again. One staff member recognised me. I had car E, 17173. I was so tired I fell asleep prior to departure but awoke at 0600, bright eyed and bushy tailed as we say in the strange distant colony full of gaolers (Melbourne at 262 days was the most locked down city during COVID).

I alighted at 0710 at Truro and found my way to the up plaform's GWR lounge. The lounge dragon (very pleasant) said railfand often bought a ticket so they could photograph the semaphore sigbals, Truro IIRC being the only station west of Plymouth to have ticket barriers.

Some Night Riv passengers made the 0713 hours two caf DMU to Falmouth. I recorded the railcar as 152043. Is that correct?

One up Falmouth had close to 100 alight. Busy little railway!

Last edited:

jnjkerbin

Status
Not open for further replies.