• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

2024 Intercity Charters

Well the 47 and push pull set are mentioned in October going to the far north lines, apart from that nowt concrete as yet

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

50002Superb

D213 should be working a tour from Crewe to Inverness on Saturday 24th February 2024 and then return the next day. Yet to be announced but should be up on the website in due course.
The timings for this are now on RTT:

In regards to the Push Pull set, either with 47712 or the very obviously planned 37409, what other areas do people think it could go to for the weekend, obvious ones for the 47 I would guess at the South West say doing Newquay,St Ives Falmouth one one day and Exmouth and possibly Barnstaple on the Sunday I think they would have to be done early before the timetabled services start but for me I would go for Crewe to Carmarthen via Chester, Wrexham, Salop, Central Wales line and Llanelli. Reverse there and then off to Fishguard and back to Swansea via Carmarthen avoided, on Sunday do Pembroke and Milford and back to Crewe via Barry Town and the Marches. But as I say the possibilities are endless

MiNi

Like you say the possibilities are endless. Any of your suggestions seen doable to me. The shove set could do a southern region jaunt also.

12LDA28C

Established Member
In regards to the Push Pull set, either with 47712 or the very obviously planned 37409, what other areas do people think it could go to for the weekend, obvious ones for the 47 I would guess at the South West say doing Newquay,St Ives Falmouth one one day and Exmouth and possibly Barnstaple on the Sunday I think they would have to be done early before the timetabled services start but for me I would go for Crewe to Carmarthen via Chester, Wrexham, Salop, Central Wales line and Llanelli. Reverse there and then off to Fishguard and back to Swansea via Carmarthen avoided, on Sunday do Pembroke and Milford and back to Crewe via Barry Town and the Marches. But as I say the possibilities are endless

You say 'the very obviously planned' 37409 but since the 37 won't be able to provide ETS to the whole of the DBSO set, they'll have to knock a coach or two out which might make the running of such a tour uneconomical.

D6130

Established Member
Like you say the possibilities are endless. Any of your suggestions seen doable to me. The shove set could do a southern region jaunt also.
Bear in mind that Mark 3 stock is banned from large parts of the former Southern Region due to restricted clearances.

50002Superb

I’d suggest exhausting the Northern opps first then repaint the whole set into Network South East (I appreciate that the DBSO rake was never originally like that but the 47 was) and do some Southern trips.

You say 'the very obviously planned' 37409 but since the 37 won't be able to provide ETS to the whole of the DBSO set, they'll have to knock a coach or two out which might make the running of such a tour uneconomical.
Would it work if they were MK2 air cons instead of the MK3s? I only ask as that would also ok it for the southern region as well

12LDA28C

Established Member
Would it work if they were MK2 air cons instead of the MK3s? I only ask as that would also ok it for the southern region as well

The DBSO set of course is Mk3s so using a ScotRail-livery 37 on a different rake would reduce the impact somewhat. And there are plenty of places on the Southern where Mk3s are not banned.

I’d suggest exhausting the Northern opps first then repaint the whole set into Network South East (I appreciate that the DBSO rake was never originally like that but the 47 was) and do some Southern trips.

I'd suggest that is not going to happen.

On Moderation
Nothing to stop them from putting a generator van in the set, providing it is air braked and has through RCH jumper cables.

12LDA28C

Established Member
Nothing to stop them from putting a generator van in the set, providing it is air braked and has through RCH jumper cables.

Indeed although adding another coach length with little or no passenger accommodation would also impact on a tour's profitability.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Bear in mind that Mark 3 stock is banned from large parts of the former Southern Region due to restricted clearances.
A lot more of the South East got clearance for Mark 3s in recent times so that Steam Dreams could use the Intercity set. In some cases, it may just be a matter of applying for clearance, although I acknowledge there would still be places that are out of bounds.

50002Superb

The DBSO set of course is Mk3s so using a ScotRail-livery 37 on a different rake would reduce the impact somewhat. And there are plenty of places on the Southern where Mk3s are not banned.

I'd suggest that is not going to happen.
Sure, I was just thinking of something fun and interesting, it makes life a little brighter.

Rhysdabeast

Established Member
Had a really good journey up to Inverness today on 'The Whistling Highlander', D213 performed outstandingly all of the way, didn't skip a beat. Some pictures from Crewe, Carlisle and Inverness

Attachments

• PXL_20240224_164956472.jpg
    PXL_20240224_164956472.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 41
  • PXL_20240224_105950037.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240224_105950037.MP.jpg
    5.6 MB · Views: 41
  • PXL_20240224_075649720.jpg
    PXL_20240224_075649720.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 42

New charter up for booking
10th August Crewe to Carlisle class 50, Carlisle to Preston via Appleby and Blackburn class 45, Preston to Preston via Manchester Victoria class 37s. Preston to Preston via Blackburn and Carnforth class 40, back to Crewe class 20s £159

Last edited:

New charter up for booking
10th August Crewe to Carlisle class 50, Carlisle to Preston via Appleby and Blackburn class 45, Preston to Preston via Manchester Victoria class 37s. Preston to Preston via Blackburn and Carnforth class 40, back to Crewe class 20s £159

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Rather disappointingly they did nothing with 87002 to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Weaver Jn - Glasgow Electrification in May. An opportunity missed IMHO.

I'm just surprised 55022 still isn't down to do anything, as far as I know the last time it worked it did the full run OK but that was a long time ago now

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I'm just surprised 55022 still isn't down to do anything, as far as I know the last time it worked it did the full run OK but that was a long time ago now
I believe it's stopped for fitting of in cab signalling hence the use of 50050

Rail Quest

Now that's what I call an enthusiast tour!! This'll be a good one to chase around the north west

Kite159

Veteran Member
Agreed there, that is a decent tour for a day trip with various locos. Will be booking onto that. Thankfully my usual place in Crewe had one room left which is handy considering I might not get to Crewe until 11pm (20;46 LNR).

sprinterguy

Established Member
Blimey, that's a lot of money to spend to keep ending up in Preston all day.

I note that the blurb describes the journey as "attacking the ‘long drag’ via Ais Gill (356m above sea level), Blea Moor and Batty Moss Viaduct (Ribblehead)". It's not really an attack of the gradient when it's being done in the downhill direction, is it? More of a controlled trundle with a hand on the brake lever.

Iskra

Established Member
Blimey, that's a lot of money to spend to keep ending up in Preston all day.

I note that the blurb describes the journey as "attacking the ‘long drag’ via Ais Gill (356m above sea level), Blea Moor and Batty Moss Viaduct (Ribblehead)". It's not really an attack of the gradient when it's being done in the downhill direction, is it? More of a controlled trundle with a hand on the brake lever.
It’s cheaper in first class than UK railtours recent tour is in standard class and takes in the WCML North, Settle/Carlisle, Bentham Line and Clitheroe-Hellifield (all decent, scenic routes) and has 7 historic locomotives on it, with no modern or bland filler loco’s. Rarely, will you find anything as good value as that on the network!

sprinterguy

Established Member
It’s cheaper in first class than UK railtours recent tour is in standard class and takes in the WCML North, Settle/Carlisle, Bentham Line and Clitheroe-Hellifield (all decent, scenic routes) and has 7 historic locomotives on it, with no modern or bland filler loco’s. Rarely, will you find anything as good value as that on the network!
Fair play, and not to denigrate anyone's enthusiasm for this, but it's still equivalent to the accommodation cost of a weekend away. My primary criteria for railtours is that they spend a meaningful amount of time at a worthwhile* destination.

*By which I mean, plenty of pubs.