• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

2024 Tube Stock (Siemens Inspiro)

zwk500

Veteran Member
Is this related to the rather different design in having the intermediate trailers suspended rather than on their own bogies? Not that cutting platforms back is particularly rare practice for new trains on any network.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Wolfie

Established Member
Re-bore the Deep-level Tubes, so we can have proper size trains!
I hope that comment is tongue in cheek. Let's just say that it is a wonderful idea other than the disruption it would cause, the likely ridiculous cost and finally the fact that in a number of places in central London it likely wouldn't be physically possible.

Snow1964

Established Member
Is this related to the rather different design in having the intermediate trailers suspended rather than on their own bogies? Not that cutting platforms back is particularly rare practice for new trains on any network.
Presumably it affects curved platforms (on assumption new trains wouldn't be wider than previous built to size of tunnels)

The doors (and footsteps) on the 5 long cars with bogies are very similar to the size of the 1938 and 1959 stock that previously worked the line.

The 4 short suspended link cars would clearly be shifted sideways on a curve as their pivot points are different to those mounted on bogies, so I guess that is where problems will be, on curved platforms. No idea if it will affect slightly curved platforms at places like Osterley, or just the sharper curved ones

TRAX

Established Member
Siemens has started dynamic and climatic testing on the first unit, and has published these two pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_2260.jpeg
    IMG_2260.jpeg
    351.6 KB · Views: 367
  • IMG_2261.jpeg
    IMG_2261.jpeg
    360.3 KB · Views: 366

TRAX

Established Member
Another picture from the climatic testing from Siemens.

Attachments

• IMG_2264.jpeg
    IMG_2264.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 199

TRAX

Established Member
More pictures including the cab from @ianvisits on X.

Attachments

• IMG_2283.jpeg
    IMG_2283.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 278
  • IMG_2284.jpeg
    IMG_2284.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 278

trebor79

Established Member
I'll certainly miss the last of the "proper" tube stock when it's gone.

trebor79

Established Member
I don't why anyone doesn't like these new trains but I think they look great!
Oh I totally agree, they will be great for travelling on. I'll just miss the old stock and the distinctive noises they make.

YorkRailFan

On Moderation
Testing of the first @TfL @SiemensMobility 24 Stock is underway at Wildenrath. The first train is due to arrive in London next summer for further testing and integration before the new trains start entering service in London in 2025. Siemens.

Always find it ironic about how TFL names rolling stock by a year, and the stock usually enters service a year or so later. But still, an important first step.

Thirteen

Last edited:

quantinghome

Established Member
I hope that comment is tongue in cheek. Let's just say that it is a wonderful idea other than the disruption it would cause, the likely ridiculous cost and finally the fact that in a number of places in central London it likely wouldn't be physically possible.
It's been done before - in the 1920s the former C&SLR part of the Northern line was enlarged from 10'6" to 11'8.5". It all went fine, apart from the... err... unfortunate incident at Newington Causeway...o_O

Enlargements have also taken place since then, most notably in the 1990s, again on the northern line.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I do not see why there is an open button when they are generally no longer on Tube trains nowadays, as I fully expect the doors to continue opening automatically when these trains enter service.
Given the climate control (I’m still not sure if it’s full Air Con or just Air Cooling, you get a different answer in different places), I would imagine the doors will self-close after a set period like they do on the S stock, in order to maintain temperature on the train.

Mzzzs

The 2009 stock actually did enter service in 2009 and I think the 1996 stock debuted in 1996.

Video from the ES YouTube channel:
Did he say the last new trains are the jubilee line from around 2000s?? that's shockingly poor journalist from someone whos role is transport editor

Real shame the infrastructure won't be upgraded Seems like right time to upgrade it as well.

(I’m still not sure if it’s full Air Con or just Air Cooling, you get a different answer in different places)

See FOI
  1. Do the trains have "air conditioning" (using typical refrigeration and air extraction) and/or "air cooling systems"?
Answer: The system uses vapour-compression refrigeration with temperature control but without the humidity control that is typically provided in buildings. Strictly speaking this is an “air cooling” system, however this type of system is widely referred to as an “air conditioning” system when referring to trains and other mobile applications such as cars.

Snow1964

Established Member
This article has a photo inside the cab of the unit being tested in Germany, I might have missed it, but not seen a cab photo published before

Looks like it is basically two screens with row of buttons below.
Appears 2 buttons furthest left below screens are blanked off.

TRAX

Established Member
This article has a photo inside the cab of the unit being tested in Germany, I might have missed it, but not seen a cab photo published before

One was published in post 611.

Mawkie

Screenshot_2023-11-17-21-05-57-55_6012fa4d4ddec268fc5c7112cbb265e7.jpg
Image shows interior shot of drivers side of 24 Stock, with 2 screens and numerous buttons including door open buttons.

Screenshot_2023-11-17-21-07-55-43_6012fa4d4ddec268fc5c7112cbb265e7.jpg
Image shows the non driving side of 24 stock with numerous buttons including trip cock reset and ATO.

ChristopherJ

Considering these 24TS are meant to be lightweight units but have bogieless carriages which means two sets of vehicle weight hanging on one bogie, what is the axle load for these units?

Surely a conventional two bogie design would have reduced vehicle weight / axle load even more than the bogieless design?

It's all about shedding the pounds, remember...