• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

24 Hours of London - planning

Status
Not open for further replies.

90sWereBetter

Lost somewhere within Bank-Monument tube station,
I've always wanted to attempt a trip concentrating on London's night bus network, but the thought of being on buses and on the street all night has been a deterrent, even to a seasoned Londoner like me. Until, that is, the announcement of the Night Tube, which suddenly makes such a trip viable (hopefully TFL and the unions will come to an agreement shortly).

My original plan was to head into London from Ipswich on a Friday evening leaving at about 6pm, so just after the peak, arrive at Stratford (as I prefer alighting there to Liverpool Street due to the larger choice of onward travel) some time around half 7 in the evening, and then spending around 11-12 hours on the night bus network and the Night Tube, as well as a possible Thameslink journey. However, the thought of ruining my sleeping pattern two days in a row by going back to Ipswich at 8am on the Saturday morning has led me to the crazy idea of doing 24 hours+ of travelling, beginning at around 6pm from Ipswich station on Friday evening, and ending some time around 6-8pm on the Saturday evening.

I've already given some of the logistical issues thought (such as mobile phone charging, food, clothing music etc), and I've tentatively pencilled the trip in for early December (either 4th/5th or 11th/12th). I'll probably book an advance single for the journey into London, and buy a flexible off-peak single for the return, in case I deem myself unable to continue further on the Saturday. The other thing I've reminded myself is to put enough money on my Oyster due to the cap resetting itself at 04:30 on the Saturday morning.

So, thoughts on this idea? Am I barmy and should I return to the funny farm? :)

(I know I'm planning this well in advance, but there is the possibility I may not be able to do this, as it depends on my university timetable, given I'll be sleeping in on the Friday morning and afternoon leading up to the start, and if I've got a part-time job. :lol: )

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Romilly

Established Member
On tickets, wouldn't an offpeak return be cheaper than an Advance single plus an offpeak single? Alternatively, one outward Advance plus three return Advances for different times on the Saturday would be cheaper still.

And I think that the sort of intensive travelling proposed is generally thought to be more easily done on paper travelcards than on Oyster.

It would also be worth thinking in advance about whether any of the travel will go beyond the outer boundary of Zone 6 and, if so, plan accordingly.

90sWereBetter

On tickets, wouldn't an offpeak return be cheaper than an Advance single plus an offpeak single? Alternatively, one outward Advance plus three return Advances for different times on the Saturday would be cheaper still.

And I think that the sort of intensive travelling proposed is generally thought to be more easily done on paper travelcards than on Oyster.

It would also be worth thinking in advance about whether any of the travel will go beyond the outer boundary of Zone 6 and, if so, plan accordingly.

I do hold a 16-25 Railcard, which does affect fares somewhat. I want the flexibility on the Saturday in case I feel unable to continue, given how weary I'm probably going to be after about 10am I reckon. I don't want to be bound to a certain train home. That being said, given my sheer bloody mindedness, I'll probably try and continue regardless. :P

As for the Oyster/Travelcard question, I have done several intensive London trips using just the Oyster, so I feel quite comfortable using it. I don't think I've bought a Travelcard since June 2011.

I am considering trying to clear the Metropolitan branches on the Saturday, given that this is a golden opportunity to do so, so I'll have to factor in the outer zones.

Last edited:

tony6499

Wouldn't it be better in Summer when days longer and less chance of weather disruption ?

PeterY

Established Member
So, thoughts on this idea? Am I barmy and should I return to the funny farm? :)

I've never travelled on a night bus. I think with a bit of planning it could prove to be an interesting experience.

I must admit I wouldn't fancy the idea of doing it on my own.

I'm sure you'll come up with a good plan between now and December.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Ooh this is my sort of trip! A marathon journey, of which I'm sure you're already in no doubts on, but it will sure get you seeing quite some contrasts of everyday life in London.

Please remind me, if I haven't already posted by then, at the end of the week for a more detailed insight on this. I'd go into it now but my commute is over thus no time to do so right now. Lots to discuss!

90sWereBetter

Wouldn't it be better in Summer when days longer and less chance of weather disruption ?

Problem is, by the summer I'll be back in Lowestoft, which makes pulling off this type of trip pretty much impossible. It has to take place whilst I'm in Ipswich. And given the current problems between the unions and TFL, I can't really do the trip in September (besides, there's another Fresher's Week to enjoy :p ).

BlythPower

I've already given some of the logistical issues thought (such as mobile phone charging, food, clothing music etc), and I've tentatively pencilled the trip in for early December (either 4th/5th or 11th/12th).

This will be prime Christmas Booze Up time - perhaps the night buses and tubes might be better avoided at this time of year?

Clip

Established Member
This will be prime Christmas Booze Up time - perhaps the night buses and tubes might be better avoided at this time of year?

That's the most fun time of year to do it!!

The night bus is an experience no matter what time you do it :)

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I remember night bus bashing years ago, it is definitely an experience and you'll need your wits about you to cope with the drunks and idiotic behaviour!

Status
Not open for further replies.