• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

27/06: 1E60 Southampton - Newcastle

Status
Not open for further replies.

MCR247

Established Member
Does anyone know why this train was cancelled north of Birmingham (I saw on the NRE app that it was already cancelled north of NS at around 4.30-5).

RTT says "This service was cancelled between Birmingham New Street and Newcastle due to a problem with the overhead line power collection equipment (M1)."

EDIT: I see the stock ran through to Newcastle as this http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/O06710/2015/06/27/advanced so maybe there was no guard to take the train onward?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

najaB

Veteran Member
RTT says "This service was cancelled between Birmingham New Street and Newcastle due to a problem with the overhead line power collection equipment (M1)."
Well my guess is that service was cancelled because the new driver noticed that there was no pantograph.

Darandio

Established Member
EDIT: I see the stock ran through to Newcastle as this http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/O06710/2015/06/27/advanced so maybe there was no guard to take the train onward?

Funny you mention it, after arriving at Darlington yesterday a Voyager went through on the up fast at about 15:30 which was quite unusual. I had a look after getting home and it had been cancelled from Newcastle, ran ECS to Leeds and then started there due to a crew issue.

Maybe the crewing issues were related?

FordFocus

Potentially the forwarding traincrew got stuck on a previous train someone that was caused by a OHLE issue

causton

Established Member
I think it was due to a lack of train manager, as a Tyrell message was sent out by XC on Saturday morning saying there were a few turns uncovered so to expect cancellations unless some short notice cover could be provided...

MCR247

Established Member
Well my guess is that service was cancelled because the new driver noticed that there was no pantograph.

Why didnt I think of that :lol:
Funny you mention it, after arriving at Darlington yesterday a Voyager went through on the up fast at about 15:30 which was quite unusual. I had a look after getting home and it had been cancelled from Newcastle, ran ECS to Leeds and then started there due to a crew issue.

Maybe the crewing issues were related?

I think it was due to a lack of train manager, as a Tyrell message was sent out by XC on Saturday morning saying there were a few turns uncovered so to expect cancellations unless some short notice cover could be provided...

Yes maybe the two were related. This would make sense as it seemed to be know fairly far in advance that there would be no guard to take it further north opposed to the guard being delayed on an incoming service or something
Potentially the forwarding traincrew got stuck on a previous train someone that was caused by a OHLE issue

Ah I'd forgotten that RTT sometimes shows the root cause of the issue :)

SpacePhoenix

Established Member

It's got to be train-crew related as North of Southampton until some point (don't know where), there's no overhead. As has been already said the train crew got stuck somewhere. Would part of the problem have been the train crew running out of hours?

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
There was trouble with OHLE near Stafford / Norton Bridge yesterday afternoon (I caught the tail end of it at Euston at 1830~), could it be to do with that? I'm guessing Manchester crew won't sign out towards Derby so perhaps Birmingham men were affected?

Class 170101

Established Member
There was trouble with OHLE near Stafford / Norton Bridge yesterday afternoon (I caught the tail end of it at Euston at 1830~), could it be to do with that? I'm guessing Manchester crew won't sign out towards Derby so perhaps Birmingham men were affected?

Out to Nuneaton, reverse, then Trent Valley to avoid?

najaB

Veteran Member
It's got to be train-crew related as North of Southampton until some point (don't know where), there's no overhead.
Nor is there for most of Birmingham to York. It was a (half-hearted) joke about the cancellation being due to a problem with OLE. Almost certainly the real reason was crew related.

Stats

XC twitter:

CrossCountry trains – ‏@crosscountryuk

ALTERATION: Due to a member of crew being unavailable the 15:47 Southampton Central-Newcastle service will terminate at Birmingham N ST.

Looking at twitter Just one of a number of XC services over the weekend to start/finish short in the Glasgow, Edinburgh and Newcastle areas.

Last edited:

Crossover

Established Member

I think it would be a Newcastle crew taking it forwards. I don't believe even Birmingham sign beyond Derby (unless it is only maybe some of them that don't)

MCR247

Established Member
XC twitter:

CrossCountry trains – ‏@crosscountryuk

ALTERATION: Due to a member of crew being unavailable the 15:47 Southampton Central-Newcastle service will terminate at Birmingham N ST.

Looking at twitter Just one of a number of XC services over the weekend to start/finish short in the Glasgow, Edinburgh and Newcastle areas.

Ah thank you - I didnt even think to check twitter :oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.