• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

27th January - Plan B easing - observations and usage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mainline421

About 60:40 unmaked:masked eveyrwhere on 27th. Seems like virtually all shops have taken signs down, and no annoucements on CrossCountry, but GWR have a passive agressive sounding "Thank you for wearing a face covering if you can, as a courtesy to others." Which manifests itself as "Thank you for wearing a face" on station CIS screens. Onboard trains looks to be grouped by carriage with some mostly masked and other mostly unmasked.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
I just caught the back-end of a news item that seemed to imply that a spokesman representing Manchester City Council (Labour controlled) was still asking people to conform to the use of masks on public transport and other related items.

Has anyone any information about this matter.

duncanp

Established Member
Here is the BBC article.

They can ask people to carry on wearing face coverings, but they cannot insist on people doing so.

There is the usual nauseating virtue signalling nonsense about the fact that wearing masks means that you "..looking out for each other..." and "..caring about each other....", falsely implying that people who don't wear masks don't do these things.

The deputy council leader is contradicting herself by effectively saying "...as the restrictions end, we want people to carry on with the restrictions..."

Covid: Some measures to remain in Manchester, council says​

Some Covid-19 restrictions will remain in Manchester in a "pragmatic approach" as the national measures end, the city's public health director has said.
Manchester City Council is asking people to continue wearing masks in crowded spaces and on public transport.
Students at schools and universities in the city are also expected to continue to wear face coverings while in corridors until February half term.
It comes as Plan B measures have been lifted across the country.
The government is no longer asking people to work from home and masks are no longer compulsory in secondary school classrooms.
Other changes include:
  • Covid passes will no longer be compulsory to gain entry to venues and events
  • Face masks will no longer be compulsory in any public spaces - although they will be still be "recommended" in some places
  • Restrictions on visits to care homes will be eased
The legal requirement to self-isolate for at least five full days after testing positive for Covid - including through a lateral flow test - will remain in place.

Manchester's director of public health David Regan said keeping some measures in place should "limit the onward transmission" of Covid-19.
He said there had been a "good dialogue" with the city's universities and schools had been "really receptive" to the advice, the Local Democracy Reporting Service said.
"If our primary school children are affected and it goes back into the household, that affects our health and social care workforce," Mr Regan added.
Deputy council leader Joanna Midgley said the pandemic "was not over" and said there were vulnerable people who "needed to be looked after".
She said: "As the restrictions end, as a city we want to try and encourage people to continue wearing masks in crowded spaces on public transport and to get that message across about looking out for each other, caring about each other."

island

Veteran Member
Travelling on Southeastern yesterday evening maybe 50% masks, increasing to 80% on the Overground. A late night red bus was far lower.

Yew

Established Member
Wouldn't a "Pragmatic approach" be to only do things that are empirically proven to work, and not waste goodwill on useless gestures?

Dave91131

Quick summary of my observations in and around London yesterday;

Overall mask usage about 50-50 I'd estimate, amusingly though probably lower on TfL out of Liverpool Street at the tail end of the evening peak.

Higher than 50-50 on the sub-surface between Liverpool Street and Farringdon.

Roughly 50-50 on most TOC's used which were Thameslink, SWR, Southern and Anglia.

TfL aside, no inaccurate mandatory mask announcements on any trains other than a rake of Gatwick 387's.

Oh, and a bloke moaning about the lack of fresh on a pair of SWR 455's just after he'd closed some of the windows.

GodAtum

On Moderation
I didn't wear a mask on my Southern train + bus journey into London today, no one challenged me.

bleeder4

My employer is opening the office up again on Monday so no more working from home. Unfortunately they're requiring masks to be worn when walking around the office, but not when sat at your desk. I was hoping I could burn all my remaining face masks this week but it seems I'll have to keep a small stockpile for office use. Hopefully the rule doesn't last long. Walking around the office will be the only time I'll be wearing a mask from now on, I certainly won't be wearing one in shops etc.

Phil R

My employer is opening the office up again on Monday so no more working from home. Unfortunately they're requiring masks to be worn when walking around the office, but not when sat at your desk. I was hoping I could burn all my remaining face masks this week but it seems I'll have to keep a small stockpile for office use. Hopefully the rule doesn't last long. Walking around the office will be the only time I'll be wearing a mask from now on, I certainly won't be wearing one in shops etc.
We had that directive in the brief interval before WFHIUC was reinstated, it was withdrawn this week. Only one person was ever seen complying in our small office, and that was an internal visitor. Chief bod couldn't provide any specific scientific evidence to support the policy when asked, referring instead to correlation and government health department.

KeithMcC

I have just had an email from Uber requiring face masks to be worn. Glad I took an ordinary taxi yesterday who wasn't bothered!
The vet's receptionist has just insisted on a mask. Can't easily take my dog elsewhere but it was tempting.
Went to the NE and back yesterday. Very few masks in evidence on the Metro, about 50% on the train back.

Jimini

Established Member
I have just had an email from Uber requiring face masks to be worn. Glad I took an ordinary taxi yesterday who wasn't bothered!
The vet's receptionist has just insisted on a mask. Can't easily take my dog elsewhere but it was tempting.
Went to the NE and back yesterday. Very few masks in evidence on the Metro, about 50% on the train back.

That’s a good observation now I think about it — once it was all dropped last July and before the plan B nonsense kicked in, I’m pretty sure the only place I masked up (ugh) was in an Uber. No one wants their rating to drop if the driver gets the hump!

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
As I had an appointment with my consultant this morning at his suite in the centre of Wigan, I took the Northern service from Manchester Airport to Windermere as far as Wigan North Western. In the section of the carriage that I was in, everyone was wearing a face mask, including me.

Jamiescott1

I would of put a mask on my dog to see her reaction if she asked me

Class 33

Established Member
Just been to Sainsbury's. In there and the small shopping arcade it is located in, I'd say roughly about 65% wearing masks. Not as good as I was hoping for, but an improvement on 19th July when it was surprisingly about 90% still wearing masks in there that day.

Went to that Sainsbury's again just now, at a far busier time than the 8am opening time yesterday. At a rough guess I'd say about 58% wearing masks. Quite a reasonable reduction from yesterday, and bear in mind it was busier and more crowded too. Looks like this time, mask use is falling back faster compared to the original scrapping of face mask laws on 19th July. Hopefully about a month from now, there will definitely be just a small minority still wearing them.

Haven't really had a chance to see what the face mask wearing situation is like on the buses in Bristol yet, as I've not really needed to use buses in the last few days. But will do tomorrow, when I'll be using four buses. A good chance for me to see what the situation is like! And will report back.

Strat-tastic

Established Member
Went to that Sainsbury's again just now, at a far busier time than the 8am opening time yesterday. At a rough guess I'd say about 58% wearing masks. Quite a reasonable reduction from yesterday, and bear in mind it was busier and more crowded too. Looks like this time, mask use is falling back faster compared to the original scrapping of face mask laws on 19th July. Hopefully about a month from now, there will definitely be just a small minority still wearing them.

Haven't really had a chance to see what the face mask wearing situation is like on the buses in Bristol yet, as I've not really needed to use buses in the last few days. But will do tomorrow, when I'll be using four buses. A good chance for me to see what the situation is like! And will report back.
I like the accuracy of your rough guesses ;)

Eyersey468

Established Member
National Express have now dropped mask wearing from the announcement CDs, the new CDs should be in all coaches by Monday from what I am told

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I just caught the back-end of a news item that seemed to imply that a spokesman representing Manchester City Council (Labour controlled) was still asking people to conform to the use of masks on public transport and other related items.

Has anyone any information about this matter
It can simply be ignored.
There is no legal requirement to wear one and you can simply say "I am exempt".

I am making a trip tomorrow with other forum members from York to Newcastle by train, and then a bus, so I will report back.

At my workplace, the vast majority have discarded their masks, as expected. Still a few wearing them but it is very much the minority (the proportion is higher among staff). Thursday had a real feel good factor to it. Bright sunshine probably helped. I feel I am back to fully and thoroughly enjoying being back at work again. I hope that no-one ever tries to take that away from us again.

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
In my workplace (a school) I would echo @yorkie ’s experience - staff have mostly stopped wearing masks.

We never enforced it on the kids anyway - usage was low already - so no notable difference there.

My GP wasn’t bothered about me not wearing one.

On WMT up to Liverpool and then Merseyrail tonight the balance was firmly in favour of people with their faces on show :lol:

Forgive me if this upsets anyone, but I can’t wait to see the back of these antisocial things.

Eyersey468

Established Member
In my workplace (a school) I would echo @yorkie ’s experience - staff have mostly stopped wearing masks.

We never enforced it on the kids anyway - usage was low already - so no notable difference there.

My GP wasn’t bothered about me not wearing one.

On WMT up to Liverpool and then Merseyrail tonight the balance was firmly in favour of people with their faces on show :lol:

Forgive me if this upsets anyone, but I can’t wait to see the back of these antisocial things.
I can't wait to see the back of them either

Currently watching Bath v Harlequins on BT Sport and there are very few masks in evidence in the crowd; I’d be surprised if it was even 1%.

johntea

Established Member
In my local Sainsburys there were a couple of shelf edge labels stating 'You MUST wear a face covering unless exempt', they must have 'accidentally' forgotten to remove those so I assisted by removing them myself :D

Felt like a half normal Friday night at Leeds station again, also I must give praise to the guard on the Knottingley service who took the time to ask passengers how their day was and to wish them a good weekend as he went through checking tickets!

My lecturer sent an email out earlier today advising us to wear a mask next week as "cases are rising" and "two of their friends have covid". Also requesting we take a lateral flow test before attending. I will be ignoring all of that.

A few months ago they complained to us about how the government has been ignoring the advice of Independent Sage.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
My lecturer sent an email out earlier today advising us to wear a mask next week as "cases are rising" and "two of their friends have covid". Also requesting we take a lateral flow test before attending. I will be ignoring all of that.

A few months ago they complained to us about how the government has been ignoring the advice of Independent Sage.

If they're taking Independent SAGE as their yardstick, I don't blame you !

Freightmaster

Established Member

Genuine question: why do most academics (and by extension, many of their students)
appear to have openly far left/authoritarian sympathies? Has it always been that way
in the higher education system or has Covid caused people to change their views?

MARK

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Currently watching Bath v Harlequins on BT Sport and there are very few masks in evidence in the crowd; I’d be surprised if it was even 1%.
I've been to loads of rugby matches since crowds were allowed back. Hardly anyone's worn a mask, even at a 72,000+ crowd at Twickenham on 27th December when plan B was in full flow.

kingston_toon

We took the Tube into town around 17:00 today - 90% mask wearing on the Northern line, alas. Changed at Kentish Town for Thameslink down to Blackfriars so we could take our masks off - roughly 50/50 on that. On the way home on the Northern line northbound around 23:00, 20% masks, 80% without. It's a mixed bag right now.

Tracked

Established Member
As I was leaving, another customer arrived. He'd walked down the street in a mask, which he removed as he entered the shop. He appears to have completely reversed the rules that were in place until yesterday!
If it was as cold where you are as it was here the other day he's probably doing what I've been doing and freeing up an extra bit of scarf :D

60/40 around the market and shopping centre here this morning, I was in early so that's not from that many people.

greyman42

Established Member
We took the Tube into town around 17:00 today - 90% mask wearing on the Northern line, alas. Changed at Kentish Town for Thameslink down to Blackfriars so we could take our masks off - roughly 50/50 on that. On the way home on the Northern line northbound around 23:00, 20% masks, 80% without. It's a mixed bag right now.
Surely there is no reason for you to have been wearing a mask on the tube?

Status
Not open for further replies.