• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

30 longest heritage preserved railways in the UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Egg Centric

At risk of seeming pedantic, I'm not sure that the IoM railways are preserved lines. They are run by the government, although I believe there is a supporting organisation of volunteers. That said, the IoM is a must for any enthusiast.

Nit pick - they're not all run by the government aiui, Groudle Glen and Laxey Mine aren't.

But I agree it's a must. Enormously so and even more so for any motoring enthusiast - one of the only places in the world with a sensible default speed limit (speed of light).

That sensible light touch approach to regulation also applies to their railways; I'm not sure that there's anything else like the Manx electric railway in the UK, certainly not the open coaches. But every single line there is worthwhile and when the mountain road is set to one way during the TT or GP oh my god it's fecking sublime, there's nothing like that at all.

I also have a massive sweet spot for it as it's where I got married, using a loophole in immigration legislation which I believe still isn't shut.

Would be immensely boring to live there though.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

D6130

Established Member
Great list, even if some like Churnet Valley Railway are a bit of a pain to reach by public transport
It's not that difficult. Bus from Stoke-on-Trent rail station to Hanley bus station; second bus from there to Cheddleton and then a very pleasant 15 minute walk along the canal towpath to Cheddleton station. Alternatively, you could take a bus from either Buxton or Macclesfield stations to Leek and change there for a bus to Cheddleton. I don't think there are buses to Ipstones or Kingsley & Froghall stations, but a pre-booked taxi to or from Stoke only costs about £15.

Magdalia

Established Member
I don't know how I managed to forget Wensleydale and Weardale, I have done both.

But I did make a conscious decision to leave out the Isle of Man.

xotGD

Established Member
It doesn't matter how long it is, it is what you do with it that counts!

D6975

Established Member
How long is the South Tynedale Railway nowadays? When I went there many moons ago it was quite short but it's intended to be extended all the way to Haltwhistle (they have already bought the land). I think it will be somewhere around 13 miles once complete.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
How long is the South Tynedale Railway nowadays? When I went there many moons ago it was quite short but it's intended to be extended all the way to Haltwhistle (they have already bought the land). I think it will be somewhere around 13 miles once complete.

It looks like it’s around 5 miles currently. There’s quite a few around that length that don’t quite make the list.

railfan99

Established Member
It doesn't matter how long it is, it is what you do with it that counts!

The shortest one I plan to ride in September 2023 is Keighley and Worth Valley Railway, which I had planned to do but was stymied due to 5 October 2022 being a strike day.

However I draw the line at travelling by train and in most cases a connecting bus to cover heritage railways that are only three or four kilometres long. As an overseas visitor with limited days even in a seven or eight week long holiday (with Europe also needing some attention), it's unfortunately not 'bang for my buck'.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
The shortest one I plan to ride in September 2023 is Keighley and Worth Valley Railway, which I had planned to do but was stymied due to 5 October 2022 being a strike day.

However I draw the line at travelling by train and in most cases a connecting bus to cover heritage railways that are only three or four kilometres long. As an overseas visitor with limited days even in a seven or eight week long holiday (with Europe also needing some attention), it's unfortunately not 'bang for my buck'.
I'd say the KWVR does offer a fair bit of bang for the size of line. Nice scenery, steep gradients, long sweeping curves, lots of stations and Haworth is a lovely place to visit. Hope you enjoy your visit.

Thanks for putting this list together, been wanting to start visiting more and this list is a good starting point.

12LDA28C

Established Member
Absolutely. Four and three quarter miles of uphill thrash is way better than a fifteen mile stagger, imo. A bit of a totter on the way back, mind.

Indeed. I was fortunate to travel on the railway with the steepest standard-gauge gradient in the world earlier this month which has an outrageous incline of 1 in 13 at one point.

railfan99

Established Member
Ok I’ve attempted (after two beers) to draw a current list up. :)

Cowley's splendid list includes another I'd never heard of: Keith and Dufftown Railway.

As from my first trip in about 1993 along the English western line where I joined fast 100lkmh older railcars between branch line trips, I really enjoy your historic DMUs, although avopiding the 'morning train' where a Pacer 'sometimes makes an appearance' seems a prudent goal.

Thank you Cowley for encouraging some fora members to travel on new heritage railways: they need our hard-earned.

Richard Scott

Established Member
Indeed. I was fortunate to travel on the railway with the steepest standard-gauge gradient in the world earlier this month which has an outrageous incline of 1 in 13 at one point.
Know it's off topic but where's that and is it adhesion worked? I always thought steepest adhesion worked line was Emmelshausen branch out of Boppard in Germany.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Cowley's splendid list includes another I'd never heard of: Keith and Dufftown Railway.

As from my first trip in about 1993 along the English western line where I joined fast 100lkmh older railcars between branch line trips, I really enjoy your historic DMUs, although avopiding the 'morning train' where a Pacer 'sometimes makes an appearance' seems a prudent goal.

Thank you Cowley for encouraging some fora members to travel on new heritage railways: they need our hard-earned.

Thanks for that. Tomorrow evening I’ll revise the list and we’ll go again.

With things as they’ve been listed above I was quite surprised that 11 of the lines in the top 30 I’ve yet to travel on. This is something that obviously needs to be put right…

Where do our other members score on lines bashed?

zwk500

Veteran Member
From your original list of 30, I've done them all except the Great Central Railway (North)....which I believe has just been reunited with its Southerly friend.
Don't think it's there yet, but the project is making great strides. (I'll try and dig out the thread). Here's the GCR news page: https://www.gcrailway.co.uk/unify/. @Flying Phil may be able to provide a more recent update.

paul1609

Established Member
From your original list Ive done all but the Dufftown and Ecclestone Valley. Ive been to the Dufftown twice but its been closed. Im missing the bit of the Wensleydale between Northallerton and Leeming Bar also.

Calthrop

Established Member

With your list now 32, including Wensleydale? -- I've done 25 of them, under preservation "aegis". Three more for sure, if travel before preservation days, counts (Weardale, Mid-Norfolk, Bodmin & Wenford [might have done this last one under preservation too -- I honestly forget]). Another two (Wensleydale, Strathspey): may sound a bit mad, but I'm not sure (have done voluntary work on the Strathspey, but don't recall whether actually travelled over what of the line was active). Have definitely never been on the East Lancs. or the Keith & Dufftown.

AndyW33

From your original list of 30, I've done them all except the Great Central Railway (North)....which I believe has just been reunited with its Southerly friend.
No it hasn't been reunited yet. Indeed there is an appeal under way for funding the installation of the next phase of reunification. What has just been completed is the renewal of the bridge that carries the GCR (N) over the A60 road, which will allow the GCR(N)'s connection to the Midland Main Line to be reinstated.

D6130

Established Member
No it hasn't been reunited yet. Indeed there is an appeal under way for funding the installation of the next phase of reunification. What has just been completed is the renewal of the bridge that carries the GCR (N) over the A60 road, which will allow the GCR(N)'s connection to the Midland Main Line to be reinstated.
Thanks for the clarification.

12LDA28C

Established Member
Know it's off topic but where's that and is it adhesion worked? I always thought steepest adhesion worked line was Emmelshausen branch out of Boppard in Germany.

It was at the Fawley Hill Railway near Henley-on-Thames. A Class 03 and a single coach was the train and normally worked. I was told that when adhesion is poor they do not operate which is understandable!

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
I'm surprised and pleased to see that I've travelled on 24 out of the original 30 ... I do have plans to travel on one or two more, but not all of them, sadly.

Richard Scott

Established Member
It was at the Fawley Hill Railway near Henley-on-Thames. A Class 03 and a single coach was the train and normally worked. I was told that when adhesion is poor they do not operate which is understandable!
Ok, thanks. Not been to that one. Know Emmelshausen is around 1:16.7 and definitely saw a 218 on load 2 go up there in pouring rain but understand why wouldn't use an 03 in the wet up that incline!

Status
Not open for further replies.