• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

317/7 movement update @ December 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

317708 and 317729 should be leaving Eastleigh 11/12 for Ilford. Departure from Eastleigh is 04.50 with GBRf providing loco.

317714 will leave Eastleigh on 18/12 for Ilford, same timings and also with GBRf.

The translators will be T5 which will transit early this week from Doncaster and likely remain at Eastleigh until early in the new year.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SprinterMan

Established Member
317708 and 317729 should be leaving Eastleigh 11/12 for Ilford. Departure from Eastleigh is 04.50 with GBRf providing loco.

317714 will leave Eastleigh on 18/12 for Ilford, same timings and also with GBRf.

The translators will be T5 which will transit early this week from Doncaster and likely remain at Eastleigh until early in the new year.

Thanks you very much for this :D What is the purpose of this move?

Adam :D

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Are they moving back to GA? It's possible they may be needed if all the 317/5s (and /8s?) from the WA fleet will be taken by London Overground (who aren't getting many 315s). The split this year, with the bulk of the 315s going to "TfL Rail" (the Crossrail- precursor operation on the Shenfield Metro) with the rest + some 317s going to London Overground (Liverpool Street to Chingford, Chesunt and Enfield) will result in less efficient diagrams needing more units.

Aictos

Established Member
From what I've heard is to locate them at Ilford for a few testing runs on the ECML to shake off any cobwebs - likely be Hornsey to Connington Loop ECS moves as in a single return working per pair/set.

deltic08

On Moderation
Are they moving back to GA? It's possible they may be needed if all the 317/5s (and /8s?) from the WA fleet will be taken by London Overground (who aren't getting many 315s). The split this year, with the bulk of the 315s going to "TfL Rail" (the Crossrail- precursor operation on the Shenfield Metro) with the rest + some 317s going to London Overground (Liverpool Street to Chingford, Chesunt and Enfield) will result in less efficient diagrams needing more units.

Waiting to be shot down here by the likes of 47802 but who decided LO should take over this line and EMUs if it is less efficient use of resources?

jopsuk

Veteran Member
It'll be a bit more efficient once the new fleet arrives, as that'll be shared with GOBLIN.

Established Member
It'll be a bit more efficient once the new fleet arrives, as that'll be shared with GOBLIN.
Doesn't need any more 315/317s from day 1 either AFAIK for the base service. Where its required, some units will work services for both operators in the same diagram.

From what I've heard is to locate them at Ilford for a few testing runs on the ECML to shake off any cobwebs - likely be Hornsey to Connington Loop ECS moves as in a single return working per pair/set.

That was the intention but this was cancelled recently as the units are now to go on lease sooner than expected. They were to be based at Ferme Park from Tuesday to Friday only, and return to Eastleigh and swapped for other units between Friday and Monday
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Movements from Eastleigh to Ilford have been postponed to 17/12 for 708 and 729, 19/12 for 714.

Last edited:

Aictos

Established Member
That was the intention but this was cancelled recently as the units are now to go on lease sooner than expected. They were to be based at Ferme Park from Tuesday to Friday only, and return to Eastleigh and swapped for other units between Friday and Monday
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Movements from Eastleigh to Ilford have been postponed to 17/12 for 708 and 729, 19/12 for 714.

Ahh, I didn't know this :( So being leased by Greater Anglia or heading elsewhere? I say that because no doubt there's work that needs to be done on the 317/7s after being in warm storage at Eastleigh.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
... no doubt there's work that needs to be done on the 317/7s after being in warm storage at Eastleigh.

They aren't in warm storage.

Eastleigh has only ever provided secure external storage in sidings that are not AC electrified.

Aictos

Established Member

Eastleigh has only ever provided secure external storage in sidings that are not AC electrified.

My mistake I thought they were, what counts as warm vs cold storage then with regards to stabling trains?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
My mistake I thought they were, what counts as warm vs cold storage then with regards to stabling trains?

I'd want indoor or at least under cover stabling, with continuous availability of shore power, and provision to take the units for a run out every few months.

Many people have previously referred to warm storage at Eastleigh though, I think nearly every time the stock has been left in outside sidings. It's main attraction is probably the site security AFAICS.

fgwrich

Established Member
I'd want indoor or at least under cover stabling, with continuous availability of shore power, and provision to take the units for a run out every few months.

Many people have previously referred to warm storage at Eastleigh though, I think nearly every time the stock has been left in outside sidings. It's main attraction is probably the site security AFAICS.

I believe Eastleigh can provide a limited range of Shore Supply but unfortunately from memory it was installed in the two long test sheds towards the rear of the site by Alstom - certainly not enough space for the storage few that keep coming in and out of the place though. Indeed some of the more recent 317s I think have spent their time in there.

badassunicorn

729 at least hasn't been there that long, I remember seeing it at Ilford not even 2 months ago all repainted, fixed and with new carpet so I shouldn't think it would need too much done to it before its ready for service.

These units were in warm storage. Two were under cover, with a third outside cycled with the two under cover. All were receiving regular maintenance/planned exams. Only the warm store running was cancelled, not the warm storage. 'Warm storage' does not necessarily entail full powering of systems, but it is preferred. There are many levels of what is considered warm storage, each specific to the facilities available and the fleet in question.

Had there been more units then with some shuffling at Eastleigh, four units would have been kept under cover, with the two that couldn't be on warm running on the ECML. All would have cycled weekly.

Last edited:

Aictos

Established Member
Yes - 66756 + 317708+317729. Just passing Stratford

Sorry to question you but how sure are you of the consist? Only ask because a another source I know stated today that only 708 was on that consist :|

badassunicorn

Anyone got any news on whats happening to them? Are they going to Northern? Staying with GA?

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Yes I would like to know what's going on with them too, my NREA is looking bleak with the 317/7s and I want to change that!

Sorry to question you but how sure are you of the consist? Only ask because a another source I know stated today that only 708 was on that consist :|

I know the consist because I am looking at it (or was at the time I typed that).

The movement of 317714 on 19/12 was cancelled because of what boils down to a Network Rail error. Another attempt will be made on 05/01

Last edited:

Aictos

Established Member
I know the consist because I am looking at it (or was at the time I typed that).

The movement of 317714 on 19/12 was cancelled because of what boils down to a Network Rail error. Another attempt will be made on 05/01

Sorry, just trying to make sure in any case it seems my source was wrongly informed what was in the consist as he admitted later he was only told about one Class 317.

All bar 317722 reported on wnxx as being leased by AGA until May 2015, after which they will go to LOROL. 317714 to move to Ilford for reinstatement, others to have minor work/exams completed and will re-enter service, allowing 317709/719 (in service?) to be stood down and also receive exams prior to hand over to LOROL.

SF-02

Good to see this. Such a waste for them to be in storage of so long. East London doing very well on the transport front.

KX03HZY

Yes! That means reclining seats on LOROL due to the first class, which will be declassified

badassunicorn

This is utter madness. Someone please explain why units with a huge first class section and an airport oriented interior will be good for WA inner suburban work?! They should be used for Cambridge - Stansted Services, or on the GEML, it is a woefully bad decision in my book to use them on inner suburban intense services.

This is utter madness. Someone please explain why units with a huge first class section and an airport oriented interior will be good for WA inner suburban work?! They should be used for Cambridge - Stansted Services, or on the GEML, it is a woefully bad decision in my book to use them on inner suburban intense services.

Utter madness is having the units out of service for 2-3 years...

Status
Not open for further replies.