• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

33/1’s in multiple

Status
Not open for further replies.

delt1c

Established Member
Whilst not overly common it did happen for 2x33/1’s to operate in multiple. Question did they use the blue star multiple coupling or the SR high level couplings.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Father Jack

Definately high level pipes and jumper, as the loco's were coupled together using the buckeyes, not the screw couplimg, which was stored in the engine room.

Whistler40145

Established Member
The blue star multiple working equipment was only used for coupling to other locos fitted with the same multiple working equipment

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Quite a few 33/1 pairings on the Meldon stone trains in the early 1990s. I must admit that I’d always assumed they were connected via blue star because 33/1 + 33/0 combinations were just as if not more common on the same trains.
Kicking myself that I didn’t have a proper look now!

Whistler40145

Established Member
33/0 or 33/2 working in multiple with a 33/1 would've connected using Blue Star multiple working as only 33/1s were fitted with Southern Region high level jumpers

delt1c

Established Member
Interesting replies as I would have thought the same but been watching a video of 2x 33/s in multiple but high level jumpers appear unconnected. Also why would buckeye coupler make any difference as to method of multiple working! Wish I had taken more notice in the 70’s and 80’s during my spotting days

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Interesting replies as I would have thought the same but been watching a video of 2x 33/s in multiple but high level jumpers appear unconnected. Also why would buckeye coupler make any difference as to method of multiple working! Wish I had taken more notice in the 70’s and 80’s during my spotting days

Same here! :)

randyrippley

Established Member
probably depended on where they were coupled together...................I've seen 33/1 pairs coupled together in the yard at Weymouth using the blue star gear, I'd assume that was easier than climbing to do the bagpipes - which would be easier at a platform

I've often wondered if it would have been feasible to wire the 33/1 as "converters" between the two systems e.g. so a TC set could control a 33/1 and 33/0 - blue star between the locos, bagpipes between 33/1 and coaches.

delt1c

Established Member
Makes sense as the video I saw was of 2 33/1’s on an Exeter service and appears to be blue star coupled.

probably depended on where they were coupled together...................I've seen 33/1 pairs coupled together in the yard at Weymouth using the blue star gear, I'd assume that was easier than climbing to do the bagpipes - which would be easier at a platform

I've often wondered if it would have been feasible to wire the 33/1 as "converters" between the two systems e.g. so a TC set could control a 33/1 and 33/0 - blue star between the locos, bagpipes between 33/1 and coaches.
In theory TC + 33/1 + 33/0 should work as the 33/1 used magnet valves to convert electrical signals from the TC jumper to blue star air pressures.

Father Jack

When I was at Eastleigh, most, if not all, passed men/secondmen, myself included, would only couple two 33/1's together using buckeyes and the high level pipes and jumper.
To use the buffer beam connections was an absolute nightmare, you had to quite literally do it on your knees, as you couldn't stand up because of the rubbing strakes above the buckeyes, not to mention that you had to drag a chuffing great screw coupling into that small space and then have to manhandle it over the hooks on both loco's. I once had to connect the vacuum pipes between two 33/1's and it was an experience that thankfully I'll never have to repeat, it was like trying to get two angry anacondas to kiss!
As long as the 33/1 was coupled to the TC, a 33/1 and 33/0 combo could be controlled from the TC driving cab, however, only the low level 27 way jumper cable could be used between the two loco's, otherwise the engine stop button in the TC cab would only shut down the 33/1.

Status
Not open for further replies.