• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

37038's Trip Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.

I had a go at writing up a report after my ALR in July/August last year but I've never got round to creating a thread to have a go at writing up my various bashes! Anyway, here's my first:

28/02/2015 - WYDR Red Pen Bash
Something I've being meaning to do for some considerable time: a West Yorkshire Day Rover! I've done plenty in the past but it's been a good 18 months or so since I did my last one. Having cleared all the available track and PSUL moves on said rover a while ago, today was based on finding and scratching in those last few pesky units.

As I live in Sheffield currently, I've been using my spare time to clear units and track in Manchester which is usually a bit of a cheaper day out (15 quid at most) compared to a WYDR (at least 20 quid). Never really done stations either but seeing as I don't need particularly many on the WYDR, it was an ideal time filling exercise!

I'd planned to get up extremely early and get straight up to Leeds and get cracking with things. I was therefore rather irritated to be reminded by friends that I'd agreed to go out on the Friday night in Sheffield. So, after arriving back in the flat and getting 2 hours kip, I was up and packing and away to the station for the 0606 northern service to Leeds.

I grabbed a Starbucks double espresso from the stand near the northbound bays [bleurghh, never again - Ed] but the caffeine gave me the kickstart I so desperately needed! Super dud 144018 was in charge for the hour and 20 run up to Leeds. I spent most of it catching up on sleep and woke just as the train was passing Midland Road depot just to the south.

My friend who has "access" had agreed to drop me an email listing the first working of a list of units I'd asked for so I could work out what diagrams they were on. I'd opted to ask for units such as the 155s and 333s which are solely used out of Leeds but also a couple of others such as 144s and 158s.

Anyway, I'd parked myself on a bench to begin to work out my moves in a notepad when all of a sudden, 158906 rolls into the platform in front of me to form the 0751 to Man Vic. It took me a few moments to register that it was in fact my last 158/9 required! So on I jumped with 10 minutes before departure and this allowed me to work out my next few moves along the line to Bradford Interchange. So...

158906 was taken the short distance to Bramley where I thought I'd easily make the +3 across the winner station onto the 2E35. I hadn't banked on it being a very staggered platform... As we were slightly late in, the +3 was down to a +2 and I had to leg it down the very long ramp, under the bridge and back up the other side which well and truly wiped me out but I made it with 30 seconds to spare. Super dud 150133 was my next unit back into Leeds. I fought my way through the enormous crowds on the escalators to make it over the platforms for the 0818 back along the Bradford line. I parked myself in a window seat and started to get my moves and notations scribbled down while I had the chance. 0818 passed, as did 0820 and 0830 and we eventually left 13 down at 0831. Winning 155347 was my unit and I had planned to connect onto a returning 150 at Bramley again. Unfortunately, said train passed me near Holbeck Jn and I opted to stay on through to New Pudsey for the simple connection across the footbridge. I hadn't worked out all my moves at this point so I was most pleased to see winning 155343 appear round the corner for the run back to Leeds. So, not even 9am and three winners in the bag!

Next on the list, required station on the Wharfedale line for a winning 333 back. I leapt off the train at Leeds and once again made my way to the boards to find out where my train was. Imagine my confusion when I looked around the station to find it completely devoid of any EMUs with 5 minutes before departure, oh oh.... I decided to head over to the platform listed to see what was going on. To my surprise, I found (super dud) 158848 waiting on the Ilkley service! First time I've ever heard of a DMU in recent years on either the Airedale or Wharfedale services! Anyway, it managed to keep to time up the gradients of the Ilkley branch and arrived into Guiseley on time. As expected, winning 333003 arrived about 10 minutes later and whisked me back down to Leeds. Nothing more than the usual DMUs and EMUs were noted around and about in the station and I grabbed an Upper Crust latte on my way to the 0952 Selby train. The coffee was very much appreciated and I leapt aboard a toasty warm 144020. Next station on the list for ticking off was East Garforth where a chilly 15 minute fester had to be suffered. Getting this station leaves only Micklefield on this part of the map to rake in.

As diagrammed, 144002 trundled round the corner on the Selby-Huddersfield service which I would take all the way round the block to Huddersfield via Bradford Interchange. I didn't see much of the delights of urban West Yorkshire on this trundle as I'd folded myself into one of the seats and gone to sleep, only waking up on leaving Brighouse due to a rather loud announcement by the guard!

I had a nice +25 connection at Huddersfield and so I used this time to grab myself a couple of cans of red bull to perk myself up and a magazine to entertain me for the rest of the day. The 1213 Sheffield service across the Penistone line was in the hands of required 144013, leaving only 144005 from the class to clear them. Unfortunately, said unit was buried in Neville Hill somewhere and wasn't diagrammed to come out at any point during the course of the day. I had the option of jumping off at any station between Huddersfield and Stocksmoor in order to meet the unit coming in the other direction. I opted for Brockholes for no reason in particular, just seemed like a nice station with a decent connection time. The others will be slightly longer festers or man of steel moves across the platforms. Super super dud arrived heading in the other direction to take me back to Huddersfield. 185128 was waiting in the far platform to take me onto Leeds. I didn't get a seat as it was absolutely wedged and so the floor had to suffice...

EMUs were next on the agenda and a return to Bradford Forster Square split at Shipley in both directions would allow me to scratch in two of my last three remaining 333s. 333013 took me along to Shipley where a mad dash was made to platform 4, through the car park and over the footbridge for required 333010 to Bradford and back. This run and the fester at Forster Square allowed me to catch up once again with my notes and moves before 333010 silently brought me back along to Shipley. Another quick dash across the station to the eastbound platform from Skipton for required 333006 back to Leeds. Excellent, only one more to go and it was next on the agenda. Once again, a run up the Ilkley branch was in the offing and another required station to leap at. For the third time in a day, 333010 took me up the Ilkley branch but this time as far as Menston [typical isn't it, never produces then three times in a day - Ed] where I bailed and jumped across the footbridge for the return service.

Bagging Menston leaves only Ben Rydding for a future bash on this branch and the trickier Baildon on the spur to Shipley. That'll mean a bit of a fester to get that in. Anyway, I was pleased to see 333014 come round the corner and I jumped aboard for the run back down to Leeds. I celebrated with a Twix and a can of irn bru bought in Huddersfield :lol: I got a phone call from a mate inviting me along to Keighley for a night out and a kettle bash at the KWVR the next day so I planned my next few hours on getting to Keighley for 5pm-ish. I'd got in every available unit that was working in the area during the day and the next few hours would have been dedicated to stations and mileage so I thought what the hell!

I still had an hour or so before my unit across to Keighley which would arrive shortly after 5. I decided on a run down the ECML aboard one of the units from the 321/9 and 322 pool. I'd never had the opportunity to bash these before [what I mean is I can never be bothered :roll: - Ed] so 322484 was a winner and I took this as far as Sandal & Agbrigg. Bit of a desolate place but my connection was only 10 minutes so I wasn't too bothered. Things started to go downhill slightly as the heavens opened and my incoming unit started to lose time. I was a bit soggy but winning 321903 arrived at last and whisked me back up to Leeds. Not of this motor coach nonsense, its only an EMU. ;)

At this point I made a bit of a mistake in thinking that Bingley was that particular station on the Skipton line I needed to scratch off. Should have brought a bloody list with me as what I actually needed to do was bail at Crossflatts... I'd cleared the rest of the stations between Leeds and Skipton on a North East Round Robin about a year ago where I just bailed at every station I required and waited for the following train along towards Skipton. So I bailed at Bingley and only realised my mistake on arriving back home to check it off the list. Keep Crossflatts for another day I suppose!

Anyway, dud 333012 took me along to actually dud Bingley station where 333009 followed up to take me onto Keighley. I'll leave the details of the rest of the night out but it was an enjoyable one and it finished the day on a high! Needless to say, I think I spent most of the day at KWVR on the Sunday recovering :oops:

Day 1 Mileage: 245mi 21ch
Day 1 Winners: 11
- DMUs: 144002 144013 155343 155347 158906
- EMUs: 321903 322484 333003 333006 333010 333014
Winning Stations: 6
- Bramley, Guiseley, East Garforth, Brockholes, Menston, Sandal & Agbrigg

Leaves me with a single 144 and 155, 2 158s, 2 321s and 4 322s to scratch at some point in the future. Not a great deal of interest on Day 2 but the stats below anyway:

Day 2 Mileage: 71mi 53ch
Day 2 Winners: 6
- Kettles: 1054 1704 5820 34092 75078 90733
Winning Stations: 3
- Haworth, Oakworth, Ingrow

Hope I made a decent fist of this and comments welcome as always :lol:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
We may well have crossed paths on Saturday.
I had a few hours to kill while my wife went shopping with her mother.
I did the Sandal shuffle with 322484/321903 in the early afternoon (I was back home well before 5).
I also had 333006 & 333010.
I live in Bradford and still need most of the stations on the Skipton & Ilkley lines!
Anyway, a good write up, most enjoyable.

crehld

Established Member
An enjoyable read - look like you had a good time, with some good mileage and a haul of winners. It's also good to see some Aire Valley action :)

As for Baildon - it's only a 30 minute walk from Shipley, so if you don't want to fester at Shipley you could keep yourself occupied that way! You could then get the train from there to Ben Rydding.

Kristofferson

Welcome (back) to the trip report world - nicely done on completing the 158/9s and making good progress on the rest :)

An enjoyable read - look like you had a good time, with some good mileage and a haul of winners. It's also good to see some Aire Valley action :)

As for Baildon - it's only a 30 minute walk from Shipley, so if you don't want to fester at Shipley you could keep yourself occupied that way! You could then get the train from there to Ben Rydding.

Are there any pubs or anything in Baildon near the station? You can see my thinking here! Had an offer from a friend to join me on another WYDR in a fortnight so that's an ideal opportunity to get some of those I missed ticked off :D
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
We may well have crossed paths on Saturday.
I had a few hours to kill while my wife went shopping with her mother.
I did the Sandal shuffle with 322484/321903 in the early afternoon (I was back home well before 5).
I also had 333006 & 333010.
I live in Bradford and still need most of the stations on the Skipton & Ilkley lines!
Anyway, a good write up, most enjoyable.

Crossed paths with a few others I know as well and yet didn't see anyone I knew until Keighley on the Sunday! Thanks for the comments!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Glad to see you've joined the growing community of trip report writers on here! :D

Sounds like a fantastic day, it's not easy going for a day on the rails after a night out. Been there done that, although I didn't spend time sleeping on my trip like that in May last year!

Also been there and done that with going for a winner shack and it's already been done, fortunately I take my shack scratching much more seriously since then so silly mistakes like that are almost unknown now.

Tut tut at failing to enjoy the motor coach on your 321/322 bashing, especially on the uphil run to Wakefield! *shakes head wondering about the youth of today*

158s on Ilkley runs, I've never seen that but have heard of it happening in years gone by. Must have been quite funky! Not missing owt at Ben Rhydding or Baildon, hopefully you'll not have to spend your entire visit to Baildon in the cycle parking shelter as I did (no other cover!), due to a lightning and heavy rain shower!

I look forward to more trip reports from you in the future for sure :D

Glad to see you've joined the growing community of trip report writers on here! :D

Sounds like a fantastic day, it's not easy going for a day on the rails after a night out. Been there done that, although I didn't spend time sleeping on my trip like that in May last year!

Also been there and done that with going for a winner shack and it's already been done, fortunately I take my shack scratching much more seriously since then so silly mistakes like that are almost unknown now.

Tut tut at failing to enjoy the motor coach on your 321/322 bashing, especially on the uphil run to Wakefield! *shakes head wondering about the youth of today*

158s on Ilkley runs, I've never seen that but have heard of it happening in years gone by. Must have been quite funky! Not missing owt at Ben Rhydding or Baildon, hopefully you'll not have to spend your entire visit to Baildon in the cycle parking shelter as I did (no other cover!), due to a lightning and heavy rain shower!

I look forward to more trip reports from you in the future for sure :D

Cheers!

I definitely didn't enjoy my first few hours at the KWVR but some hastily purchased paracetamols improved things slightly.

I was irritated on the shack scratch situation but as it turned out, said services didn't call at Crossflatts anyway so no major loss there. Shouldn't be too hard to get in a few weeks time.

None of that motor coach nonsense, the youth of today are too busy looking forward to a full weekend of 37 bashing ;) 26 solid hours from Friday teatime to Saturday night then 37109/37418 at the Lancs on Sunday for good measure. Oh and D7076 and 50015 thrown in for good measure. None of this EMU wibbling!

Twas rather interesting to find a 158 on that run and I certainly baffled some local friends with that bash. I've only bashed the Ilkley line a few times and seeing as the rest of them are locals and I moved recently, that's not a bad result!

I'm hoping the weather will be a little less inclement than what you describe but after a brief visit to RTT, my festers at Baildon and Ben Rhydding should only be about 15-20 minutes at each so nothing too bad. Some of the central Penistone line shacks may require a few pub leaps to pass the time!

I'm on the full Pathfinder overnight this weekend which should see me on the Ilkley branch again! This time with slightly more 37038-approved traction :lol: It's likely I'll get a trip report in for this and some stats from the ELR the following day. If I've got the time to spare and not too much coursework then I might do a report for both although I expect the ELR may be a shorter one.

Thanks again!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Sounds good, I'll look forward to it :D Fair games, I'm not interested in these all night tours these days, too tiring!

Ahhh you lot don't know what you're missing out on with the EMUs!

EMU's, pah <D Looks likely now that second WYDR won't happen, other things to do that day I'd completely forgotten about

I've been out and about for pretty much a week with railtours and rovers so lots to write up shortly. Will try tonight :)

I absolutely give up. Spent about 4 hours typing up about 6 recent trips and I've lost it all trying to load it onto this bloody thing.

Balls.

Gonna be another couple of days yet chaps

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Ouch! Lesson learned to copy-paste it all before posting and save frequently! It's happened to me in the past so I drove it deep into memory banks to save often and ALWAYS copy-paste before posting!

Yes I shall be doing so in the future... will make a start again tomorrow and I'm on hols next week so hopefully should get everything done and dusted :)

Too much time has passed since I last did a report and after the ‘incident’ with the last one, I’ve decided to skip a few of the intermediate bashes and skip straight to this weekend just gone.

25/04/2015 – 37038’s Long Overdue Brum Bash
A lot of half plans and thoughts came together perfectly for a quality couple of days of catching up with mates and getting a whole heap of track done that I’ve been meaning to get for a while.

A Pathfinder steward friend of mine had asked quite some time ago whether I was doing the Devon Explorer through to Meldon Quarry for Crewe on this particular date. I knew for a fact that the 89 quid plus ching to get to Crewe before and after the tour plus all the nosh and booze on the day would easily add up to 150+ quid for a day out. I’ve done a few railtours this year and so I knew full well that the coffers wouldn’t be able to cope with another battering when I had a few more tours lined up and paid for in the coming months. My main thought being to save towards the Bournemouth tour with 37025 in August as part of a birthday bash weekend.

Anyway, I was digressing… Upon telling my mate I wouldn’t be travelling, he suggested I part fare it some of the way on the basis that there was a half decent chance that one of the tractors booked to haul the train would be a winner. The issue of not being able to get to Crewe in time for departure at 0600ish was negated with the offer of a sofa to kip on for the night and the prospect of winning spoons in the Stoke area. A very reasonable part fare was arranged through to Cheltenham Spa on the morning (mates rates as opposed to standard Pathfinder rate) and 37059/605 were quoted a few days before the tour. Lovely, should clear 059 for all time and get them both over the 100mi mark at least (I'd had 605 a few times previously but still it rested below 100mi). Another half plan now came into play in bagging some rather irritating track in the Coventry/Leamington/Stratford areas that I’d either missed previously or just never got around to doing but a WMDR should help out there immediately after leaping from the tour.

After travelling from Sheffield to Crewe during the afternoon of Friday and claimed a couple of winning pendolinos en route which was an added bonus. My pendo page isn’t particularly impressive in terms of the red pen so 390006/390013 were appreciated! Three winning spoons (including a difficult without a car one at Leek) and many mates were visited/seen over the course of the night before sleep at approximately 1am. Not the best idea with a fair few beers in you and a 0445 wake up but hey ho…

Off to Crewe and onto the train for a right time departure with a slightly ill 37605 leading a rather throaty and winning 37059 south towards Stafford. A rather tiny number compared to some main men but 059 was my 35th tractor for haulage and I’m on a mission to clear as many as possible this year and in the future. I now have two booked to clear at galas and a number of potential winners on Cumbrian diagrams. 059 was in fine form and I stuck in the front window until after departure from Stafford (winner for sight 92014 present) before disappearing off back to the buffet in search of bacon sandwiches and cups of tea plus provisions for later in the day. Now the amazing thing is that I’ve never been through or past Wolverhampton on a service train and this is now my fourth railtour past the place! Two via the Oxley Chord and two via Bescot! In my early morning stupor, I inadvertently marked the route up through Sandwell & Dudley as a winning route and immediately realised I’d cocked up as we trundled round the curve past Soho… No matter, it shouldn’t be too hard to clear in the future and another WMDR or two are needed to clear everything else I need in the area. Finally managed to cop 97303 for sight at Bescot (hurray…) and 70809 was also a pleasant and winning surprise in the opposite yard!

Arrival and departure from New Street was swift and we turned south after Proof House Jn, taking the slightly rarer route on the mainline south by going via Lifford Jn and rejoining at Kings Norton. After another pick up at Barnt Green, we coasted down the Lickey and turned right after Bromsgrove through Droitwich Spa and onto Cheltenham Spa. I had to absolutely sprint over the bridge at Cheltenham and up the down platform to get a couple of naff shots of the tractors prior to departure south. My irritating-at-times track bashing rules dictate both the up and down lines must be done to class as cleared fully and this run down to Cheltenham was an OCD fest in that respect. I now have to go back and clear the following in one direction:

Soho South – North (easy enough)
Kings Norton – Proof House Jn (PSUL move but plenty of them)
Cheltenham – Bromsgrove via Worcester (will take a bit of time but can clear Hereford afterwards)
Bromsgrove – Cheltenham direct

My worrying that some kind of farce would ensue on the morning meant I’d gone for the safe option and left myself around 35-40 minutes at Cheltenham prior to returning to Birmingham. So, even though I watched a vomiter go north in the meantime, I knew I’d probably get a winning 170 on a Nottingham service back up to New Street. I stocked up some more with a newspaper for entertainment and a very much required, massive cappuccino from the Pumpkin on the southbound platform. Winning 170111 was the plastic back towards Brum and arrival was right time. Today was a day of track only (so I thought) so the many winners surrounding me would have to wait for the time being while the more important stuff was seen to. 221137 was close but no cigar to my last winning XC voyager (221136) and this particular monstrosity was the unit through to Leamington Spa via Coventry. The winning track was post-Coventry through Kenilworth. 66954 passed on a SB liner a couple of minutes after arrival and I sat and sunned myself in the glorious weather for half an hour or so before dud 220027 rolled in for the run back up to Coventry; thus clearing the line fully. Some miles on 027 was appreciated in a way seeing as it was a very low mileage example of the class and one of only a couple not to have surpassed 100mi.

Just a note before I continue on my personal rules. A line is only cleared when each of its main running lines has been traversed. A single track (entirely so no passing loops) need only be done once but the ECML between Northallerton and York has four lines so one run on each. Mileage wise, I’d aim to clear units for 100mi ultimately and locos for 1000mi. The ‘magical thou’’ as Tech calls it!

Anyway, a quick ten minute hop between the voyager and London Midland’s 153354 for the shuttle run up to Nuneaton. 153354 was a winner for both sight and haulage so happy times there! Bearing in mind I was only at Nuneaton for 15-20 minutes before the return run to Coventry, it was rather pleasing to be able to photograph 68014 as it whizzed past on the way to Crewe GB from Willesden. I rather go against the grain of most modern veg in not being particularly bothered about 68s and their ‘thrash’. I’ll admit they sound better than a lot of things and I’d much rather have one than anything Sulzer but I’ll stick to my Hymeks, Westerns, Tractors, Deltics and Hoovers for now! Back to Coventry again on 153354 (I take it that it’s super dud after the first run then!) before a short wait for the incoming 9S70. I knew it was going to be a pair of VTWC 221s which I wasn’t overly bothered about seeing as I still need a few but the dud ones have a nasty habit of re-appearing over and over again on the very few occasions I bash them. Dud 221102 was leading a thankful winner 221108 (phew…) back to New Street.

Next on the list was the Stratford line which would involve a lot of being very bored but no matter, it’s a highlight in the book after all. My train from Moor Street to Stratford was due off Moor Street at 1431 and this would give me a +16 at Stratford onto the outward bound Chiltern unit. Cue the definitely-planned-to-annoy-me-and-only-me-farce… I arrived at Moor Street with 15 minutes to kill before the train and I noticed that my train was 5 minutes down. ‘No matter’ I thought, shouldn’t be too much of an issue. Bearing in mind I had a +16 at Stratford, anyone guess how late winning 172332 was upon arrival? Yeah you guessed it, precisely 16 minutes… I knew it would only get later due to the amount of stops on the way south so a change of plan was made.

The original plan before heading back towards Derby and eventually Sheffield was to bash 323s in the hour and a half I had spared before the 1949 departure. I wasn’t enormously fussed about the 323s as they were only a contingency in case anything went awry so I chose to bail at Wilmcote to ensure I made the connection onto the Leamington train. Good decision in the end because, as predicted, we lost more time and ended up 20 down upon arrival there. A quick leap over the footbridge was made and onto double winners 172101 and 172102 across to Warwick. I was able to get rid of some of the fester time at Leamington by leaping here for the required 165026 forward on the Moor Street – Leamington shuttle. Annoying track rules strike again as I would now have to go back to Stratford and up to Moor Street. The 50 minute fester began…

At this point, a genned-up friend of mine text me to ask whether 221136 was my last XC voyager (he couldn’t remember off the top of his head) and told me it was on the 1M66 ex-Bournemouth. I was sure it wouldn’t fit into my plan in any way but a look on RTT showed a Brum International departure of 1936. Sod’s law dictates that this means I’d miss my train home but some further research revealed a Reading-Newcastle fast service that left New Street 15 minutes after my originally intended 1949 service but arrived in Derby only 6 minutes later. Result!

My mind now strayed to the fact that, if I followed the original part of my plan now from Leamington, I’d end up with an extremely annoying missing section of track between Wilmcote and Stratford. My head couldn’t deal with it so the plan was changed to take my return Chiltern service all the way to Stratford for the following 172 back north to Moor Street, consequently giving me a man of steel +5 between Moor Street and my pendo from New Street across to Brum International for the coveted 221136. Risky but worth it… Winning 168111 was taken from Leamington Spa to Stratford and the 30+ minute fester began for the return 172 to Moor Street. You can then imagine my extreme anger with London Midland to find my winners-all-round move put into jeopardy when I saw the incoming service from Stourbridge was 11 minutes down, meaning it would be at least 5 down on departure from Stratford. Yep, exactly the same as the connection again! They very much redeemed themselves though with a seemingly impossible 3E arrival into Stratford after being 11L at Jewellery Quarter! Away I went on winning 172341 for the run back north and thankfully, time was maintained throughout.

I was off the train and out the station like a lightning bolt and shot across to New Street. I took a shot in the dark and relied on the platform gen on RTT being correct in order to save a few precious seconds. I had this confirmed to me when I was running towards New Street and saw the reflection of my arriving pendo in the side of the new, funky station building. Thumbs up Network Rail for that one! I was onto winning 390134 for the brief run across to International where I had a 20 minute wait for the elusive 221. The unit arrived dot on time and I had fingers, toes, legs and red pens crossed before I found the gen was correct and 221136 was indeed sat in front of me waiting to go. Champagne moment on departure (well cheese and onion crisps and a twix…) and it was duly ticked off in the book.

I wondered across the platforms at New Street for the final time and boarded dud 220026 for the run to Derby. Some music was on and a couple of lagers consumed as we headed east. One last thing to make the day and absolute winner was the prospect of one of my last three FL 66s for sight at Lawley Street. I lived in Darlington for a long time before going to uni in Sheffield and, in that area, heavy haul freds were common as muck. I was able to see intermodal ones every now and again on my travels. Obviously this meant my last few would end up being Intermodal specimens. Imagine my utter bemusement when I spied not only 66538 but also 66542 parked alongside it! Two out the last three off the list in seconds! Another beer purchased!
There’s not a great deal left to say about the day really. I’d cut it short as I’d agreed to meet a friend for a few hours for drinks in Derby prior to the last train to Sheffield (2230) and dud 222002 was the unit home after a brief period of paying homage to the remains of 37411 at the Alexandra pub near the station.

Top day and finally, a trip report done that hasn’t deleted itself!

Last edited:

Established Member
Some good reading there.
I must admit to gnashing my teeth a bit when I saw that 37059 was working the tour as it's the only operational 37 that I need.

Congratulations (or should that be commiserations) on clearing your xc 221s :)

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Congratulations 37038 on the Voyager clearing! I don't remember where the term 'the magical thou' came from for clearing something for 1,000 miles, but it's been imprinted in memory for years.

I'm glad I'm not that bad for track coverage, once will do me! I still keep track of platforms, crossovers and all that but only when it comes up. Not counting a route until it's done both ways is going too extreme for me!

Cheers all!

If you're a quail man Tech then surely you have to look at every line in the book to mark off meaning both directions etc! I would say crossovers are more extreme than back and forth!

Keith Jarrett

Anyway, I was digressing… Upon telling my mate I wouldn’t be travelling, he suggested I part fare it some of the way on the basis that there was a half decent chance that one of the tractors booked to haul the train would be a winner. The issue of not being able to get to Crewe in time for departure at 0600ish was negated with the offer of a sofa to kip on for the night and the prospect of winning spoons in the Stoke area. A very reasonable part fare was arranged through to Cheltenham Spa on the morning (mates rates as opposed to standard Pathfinder rate) and 37059/605 were quoted a few days before the tour. Lovely, should clear 059 for all time and get them both over the 100mi mark at least (I'd had 605 a few times previously but still it rested below 100mi). Another half plan now came into play in bagging some rather irritating track in the Coventry/Leamington/Stratford areas that I’d either missed previously or just never got around to doing but a WMDR should help out there immediately after leaping from the tour.

Must start doing some tours on this part fare basis to get required mainline locos "in the book"

Just a note before I continue on my personal rules. A line is only cleared when each of its main running lines has been traversed. A single track (entirely so no passing loops) need only be done once but the ECML between Northallerton and York has four lines so one run on each. Mileage wise, I’d aim to clear units for 100mi ultimately and locos for 1000mi. The ‘magical thou’’ as Tech calls it!

A timely reminder that I must fully document my "Bashing Rules". I aim for 10 miles with units and 100 miles with dedicated passenger traction. I think accumulating 100 miles on the Class 139 "Toys" that run the Stourbridge Town branch would be worse than mind-numbing! Track - once it's done, it's done although I do underground track both ways to take account of single bore tunnels. About the only locos that I have over the magical thou are all the 50s and the odd 91. I have some units though over 2,000 miles - principally 319s as they form part of the daily commute.

Top day and finally, a trip report done that hasn’t deleted itself!

Excellent report and pleased to hear that you got some winners. It's years since I've been down to Stratford although I must go sometime as I need one of the curves at Hatton (the one from Stratford to Dorridge, Hatton West Curve?).

Must start doing some tours on this part fare basis to get required mainline locos "in the book"

A timely reminder that I must fully document my "Bashing Rules". I aim for 10 miles with units and 100 miles with dedicated passenger traction. I think accumulating 100 miles on the Class 139 "Toys" that run the Stourbridge Town branch would be worse than mind-numbing! Track - once it's done, it's done although I do underground track both ways to take account of single bore tunnels. About the only locos that I have over the magical thou are all the 50s and the odd 91. I have some units though over 2,000 miles - principally 319s as they form part of the daily commute.

Excellent report and pleased to hear that you got some winners. It's years since I've been down to Stratford although I must go sometime as I need one of the curves at Hatton (the one from Stratford to Dorridge, Hatton West Curve?).

Pathfinder policy these days is a tenner per station. They do make it pretty obvious when they don't want part farers. Compass, PMR, Vintage, SRPS, NER and UKR have been fine with part fares for me in the past.

Think me father's got a thou' off about 40 odd of the 50s and yet only ever managed EXD-EXC on 50017? Baffling :p

I'm pretty close to a thou' on quite a few 91s and EC HSTs and 55022 I'm closer to 2k now but everything else which is 'high mileage' for me is anywhere over 500mi.

Hatton curve has a pretty decent WTT schedule during the week now. The 0553/0858 ex-BSH and the 0927/1028/1127/1227/1327/1427/1727 ex-SBJ cover it southbound with the 0726/1003/1103/1203/1303/1403/1503/1603/1905 ex-SUA covering it northbound.
I haven't got round to doing it yet but I was planning to do the Shakespeare Express at some point in the summer and that covers it on the return run

Thanks again!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
37038:2152679 said:
Cheers all!

If you're a quail man Tech then surely you have to look at every line in the book to mark off meaning both directions etc! I would say crossovers are more extreme than back and forth!

I do stuff in the Quail but I don't particularly chase it.

Status
Not open for further replies.