• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

3rd rail infills and extensions may have a future after all…

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Ham

Established Member
OHLE makes most sense west of Salisbury. It's half-and-half between 3rd rail and OHLE for Worting Jn-Salisbury. Reading-Basingstoke should be OHLE as well.

Uckfield, Regiate-Guildford, Ash-Wokingham and Romsey-Southampton are the most obvious 3rd Rail candidates.

Indeed, when I said towards I was meaning a bit in that direction, and was in response to the suggestion of going to Exeter.

This is yet another thread on the subject, and must be the most amusing to date given the quantity of frothing. NR have been talking to ORR about this for at least 3 years, why it has suddenly appeared in RAIL is beyond me.

Given where we are with battery technology, it is going to be near impossible to demonstrate that a third rail solution for enabling electric trains on any of the gaps in the Southern network will have a lower risk profile, or even a lower cost, than battery trains. Repeating myself for the umpteenth time, but there are battery trains in service in Europe with an off juice range well in excess of any gaps in our DC network.

Indeed.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The Ham

Established Member
1&2 are south, 3-5 are north. I wish the station layout images have a compass.

1 being DC makes sense, as it's mostly used by the Basingstoke Stoppers, with the potential for the grade separated junction changing this more.

Likewise platform 5 being AC makes sense.

However other than that, not so much. As you'd probably prefer AC for platform 2 so trains heading south/west start under AC, likewise platform 3 so trains heading towards Waterloo start off under DC.

It's probably better to just remove DC from Basingstoke entirely and have the change over on 4 straight sections of track rather than at the complex station layout.

daodao

Established Member
This is yet another thread on the subject, and must be the most amusing to date given the quantity of frothing. NR have been talking to ORR about this for at least 3 years, why it has suddenly appeared in RAIL is beyond me.

Given where we are with battery technology, it is going to be near impossible to demonstrate that a third rail solution for enabling electric trains on any of the gaps in the Southern network will have a lower risk profile, or even a lower cost, than battery trains. Repeating myself for the umpteenth time, but there are battery trains in service in Europe with an off juice range well in excess of any gaps in our DC network.
In principle, I agree, for the missing gaps in the Southern Region and limited Merseyrail extensions, as it would decarbonise these lines without the extra risk of 3rd rail, but make use of existing 3rd rail electrification. However, there may need to be short sections of 3rd rail where the infill gaps are relatively long to permit in motion recharging to reduce the battery size requirements. However, 3rd rail electrification of Reading-Basingstoke and the lines serving Salisbury would be daft. I would also support 4th rail electrification from Amersham to Aylesbury.

AndrewE

Established Member
There doesn't seem to be much interest in implementing this battery technology. Presumably DfT don't have the money, it costs more than running diesel trains so the leasing companies aren't putting out speculative units and Network Rail are just the infrastructure provider therefore not really interested.
This is another thread with a comment which prompts me to say "What is GBR for then?"
Surely to get away from worthwhile initiatives failing to get off the ground because of such a parochial outlook from one "department" of our national railway.

A0wen

On Moderation
No need for new trains, - the 450s are convertible to dual voltage if needed, so the 3rd rail might just get a valid safety case as an extension as far as Salisbury where it could switch over to 25kV ac. The service is much less frequent west of there, which is where high voltage is more cost effective than LV DC and way more energy efficient with far lower resistive losses.

There is - for the simple reason the 444s, 450s and 458s are allocated. The 158/9s are allocated. If you moved any of those 4xxs to replace the 158/9s then you'need something to do the work those 4xxxs are currently doing - and since there aren't many 3rd rail EMUs sitting unused, that'll be new build, at which point the question again becomes why cascade old stock onto Exeter when if that line were electrified using 25kv OHL, brand new dual voltage stock would be ideal.

I would also support 4th rail electrification from Amersham to Aylesbury.

But NR wouldn't as that's not one of their standards. That's the London Underground standard - but why would you put 4th rail all the way to Aylesbury? Discontinunous OHL to allow battery charging with hybrid units would make more sense. Aylesbury - Amersham is only 15 miles so well within battery range.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
There is - for the simple reason the 444s, 450s and 458s are allocated.
Are they? If the 450s are currently doing work that the 458s are going to do and 701s are introduced in full, then assuming there is no increase in the timetable from current levels, there seems to be a surplus of 450s equal to at least the number of 458s moving to the Portsmouth line.

How does Basingstoke, Alton, the locals and some of the slower services on the Portsmouth and Southampton lines account for 127 450s?

StewLane

Can someone please explain why having both AC and DC together at Basingstoke is a problem please? I see both at the same platform at Ashford Kent with trains switching systems there.

Snow1964

Established Member
There seems to be an obsession by some that the third rail on West of England line should either end at Basingstoke or Salisbury.

Salisbury may traditionally been where a number of services terminate, and has a diesel maintenance depot, but populations change. Until the new census results are published I am having to use estimates, but Andover has apparently grown to about 47,000 population and thus is slightly bigger than Salisbury at estimated 46,000

I would extend the third rail to Andover, have the Basingstoke stoppers extend there. Then go 25Kv west from Andover. At same time I suggest Romsey should become the third rail limit. Remember there are already substations at Worting Junction, Redbridge and Eastleigh so could electrify 2-3 miles of each route using existing substations.

Ideally want overlaps where stopping trains can change systems whilst in the platform, and sufficient extra short dual sections so that freight and non stop trains don’t need to change where they are accelerating or going uphill, you don’t need miles of dual system.

With Andover as the changeover point the 450s on stopping trains can extend there, and only need to consider changing the long distance trains to dual system. Thus save cost of modifying the 444 and 450 fleet to dual voltage.

But a bit of isolated 25kv to Salisbury (or Wilton parkway if built) is fairly useless on its own, but really need to be doing Romsey/Andover - Salisbury - Bath- Bristol -Filton (including Bathampton-Chippenham) as 25kv and then introducing dual voltage bi-modes for both routes via Salisbury (freeing up all the class 158, 159, 165, 166 for use elsewhere). There is already separate thread on speculative new stock for Portsmouth-Cardiff but that seem to recommend a 5 or 6 car dual voltage bi-mode so thinking seem to be same for the Wiltshire area services. I think a virtually identical train was suggested if GBR ordered trains, a 110mph electric (95-100mph diesel) cross country bi-mode to fill gap between intercity and suburban/ local train.

Last edited:

A0wen

On Moderation
There seems to be an obsession by some that the third rail on West of England line should either end at Basingstoke or Salisbury.

Salisbury may traditionally been where a number of services terminate, and has a diesel maintenance depot, but populations change. Until the new census results are published I am having to use estimates, but Andover has apparently grown to about 47,000 population and thus is slightly bigger than Salisbury at estimated 46,000

I would extend the third rail to Andover, have the Basingstoke stoppers extend there. Then go 25Kv west from Andover. At same time I suggest Romsey should become the third rail limit. Remember there are already substations at Worting Junction, Redbridge and Eastleigh so could electrify 2-3 miles of each route using existing substations.

Ideally want overlaps where stopping trains can change systems whilst in the platform, and sufficient extra short dual sections so that freight and non stop trains don’t need to change where they are accelerating or going uphill, you don’t need miles of dual system.

With Andover as the changeover point the 450s on stopping trains can extend there, and only need to consider changing the long distance trains to dual system. Thus save cost of modifying the 444 and 450 fleet to dual voltage.

But a bit of isolated 25kv to Salisbury (or Wilton parkway if built) is fairly useless on its own, but really need to be doing Romsey/Andover - Salisbury - Bath- Bristol -Filton (including Bathampton-Chippenham) as 25kv and then introducing dual voltage bi-modes for both routes via Salisbury (freeing up all the class 158, 159, 165, 166 for use elsewhere). There is already separate thread on speculative new stock for Portsmouth-Cardiff but that seem to recommend a 5 or 6 car dual voltage bi-mode so thinking seem to be same for the Wiltshire area services. I think a virtually identical train was suggested if GBR ordered trains, a 110mph electric (95-100mph diesel) cross country bi-mode to fill gap between intercity and suburban/ local train.

The bit you're missing is freight from Southampton - currently that's all diesel hauled and a 3rd rail loco would probably be too much for the 3rd rail infrastructure - as the 92s were - so there is a need to get 25kv south as well as south west. Putting 3rd rail to Salisbury or beyond won't help that.

zwk500

Veteran Member
Can someone please explain why having both AC and DC together at Basingstoke is a problem please? I see both at the same platform at Ashford Kent with trains switching systems there.
It's a problem at Ashford too, just one it was decided was worth having to avoid international trains having to switch. Similarly at Euston, where lines B and C are equipped with both systems to allow Watford DC line trains to avoid the need to change.
However having both systems means you have to shield/immunise cabling and return current paths against both DC and AC interferences at 2 very different voltages. You also have increased maintenance requirements as you are maintaining 2 systems over the same track. The costs quickly add up, and at Basingstoke the disruption and interventions required would be much higher than the benefit provided.

snowball

Established Member
Dual electrified stretches are normally kept to a minimum.

Among other things, on a 3rd rail DC line, the running rails need to be kept insulated from earth, otherwise traction current may find an alternative earth path and corrode lineside metal objects. On a high-voltage overhead AC line, the running rails and all nearby metal objects need to be bonded to earth, otherwise trackside metal objects could give an electric shock.

PTR 444

Established Member
The bit you're missing is freight from Southampton - currently that's all diesel hauled and a 3rd rail loco would probably be too much for the 3rd rail infrastructure - as the 92s were - so there is a need to get 25kv south as well as south west. Putting 3rd rail to Salisbury or beyond won't help that.
I would argue that everywhere west of Basingstoke should be wired to 25kv overhead, and potentially also east to Farnborough to allow SWML linespeeds to be increased from 100 to 125mph. Beyond Farnborough to London Waterloo would be more complicated due to the need to wire the Alton, Portsmouth and London suburban lines in conjunction, so I would say that area should stay as third rail.

As for the third rail coming into Southampton and Eastleigh from Fareham, you could perhaps have short stretches of dual voltage track in those areas where they meet the SWML.

zwk500

Veteran Member
I would argue that everywhere west of Basingstoke should be wired to 25kv overhead, and potentially also east to Farnborough to allow SWML linespeeds to be increased from 100 to 125mph. Beyond Farnborough to London Waterloo would be more complicated due to the need to wire the Alton, Portsmouth and London suburban lines in conjunction, so I would say that area should stay as third rail.
Raising linespeeds would be a lot of pain for basically no gain, as you'll just be catching up the train in front quicker. I personally can't see any conversion away from 3rd rail until OLE makes its way into Hampshire from the GW area.
As for the third rail coming into Southampton and Eastleigh from Fareham, you could perhaps have short stretches of dual voltage track in those areas where they meet the SWML.
If you want OLE for freight, you'll need to wire the whole Southampton area. So you'd either be looking at Dual voltage St Denys to Redbridge, or short sections of OLE extending out to Southampton Airport Parkway and Totton at either end.
I'd love to see the Access planner's face when you asked them to draw up a possession plan to wire Southampton, having just resignalled it!

A0wen

On Moderation
Raising linespeeds would be a lot of pain for basically no gain, as you'll just be catching up the train in front quicker. I personally can't see any conversion away from 3rd rail until OLE makes its way into Hampshire from the GW area.

If you want OLE for freight, you'll need to wire the whole Southampton area. So you'd either be looking at Dual voltage St Denys to Redbridge, or short sections of OLE extending out to Southampton Airport Parkway and Totton at either end.
I'd love to see the Access planner's face when you asked them to draw up a possession plan to wire Southampton, having just resignalled it!

Wouldn't you do Redbridge - Romsey - Salisbury ? That way the "only" dual voltage bit would be around Redbridge until you then got to Basingstoke.

The reason I put "only" in inverted commas is I appreciate any stretch of dual voltage has its own challenges as helpfully explained on other threads - so I was looking to keep that to a minimum, not underplaying that it does have other issues.

geoffk

Established Member
Wouldn't you do Redbridge - Romsey - Salisbury ? That way the "only" dual voltage bit would be around Redbridge until you then got to Basingstoke.

The reason I put "only" in inverted commas is I appreciate any stretch of dual voltage has its own challenges as helpfully explained on other threads - so I was looking to keep that to a minimum, not underplaying that it does have other issues.
Plus Totton to Hythe if and when it reopens.

A0wen

On Moderation
Plus Totton to Hythe if and when it reopens.

I'm not sure about that - if that opens I'd expect diesel or battery to be the way forward. No need for OHL at present - the key to OHL in the Southampton area is to convert the freight being hauled to the Midlands to electric, which 3rd rail isn't really suitable for (in that the current draw of a freight loco will add to the load on the current 3rd rail infrastructure).

Don't think there's much freight coming up from Hythe.

geoffk

Established Member
I'm not sure about that - if that opens I'd expect diesel or battery to be the way forward. No need for OHL at present - the key to OHL in the Southampton area is to convert the freight being hauled to the Midlands to electric, which 3rd rail isn't really suitable for (in that the current draw of a freight loco will add to the load on the current 3rd rail infrastructure).

Don't think there's much freight coming up from Hythe.
Sorry, I meant third rail as that's what the thread is about.

A0wen

On Moderation
Sorry, I meant third rail as that's what the thread is about.

Even then it depends on how its being served. If it's an extension of a diesel service then no point in going to the trouble and cost of 3rd rail.

Some guy

Agreed- don't hold your breath- but this is still definitely welcome news. Infill for the Basingstoke-Salisbury-Exeter, Uckfield, Marshlink, and North Downs would eliminate a lot of diesel over 3rd rail running and be a huge step for decarbonisation, and likewise expansion of the MerseyRail network out to places like Preston. Simply the news that NR and ORR are even *talking* about setting standards for expansion of 3rd rail is a big leap forwards!

This does also continue the advantage of bi-modes - you can use the existing electrification more efficiently, and progressively get cleaner over time as more electrification is built.

If- and this is a big if - the 769s eventually settle down into being actually reliable trains, they could be sent elsewhere on the network to operate as bi-modes and the North Downs go over to 387s.
It would be very useful if they ran Merseyrail services to Preston. They could have easily path it to have 2 trains per hour with the 2 platforms at rufford for each train to access the 1 track and it will save northern to have to run services to it

zwk500

Veteran Member
Even then it depends on how its being served. If it's an extension of a diesel service then no point in going to the trouble and cost of 3rd rail.
It will be a standalone shuttle if it goes ahead. Electrification would be very much a later enhancement.

gc4946

Dare I say it, electrifying Bidston-Wrexham on 3rd rail could finally happen, but more 777s will need to be ordered to make it possible

A0wen

On Moderation
Dare I say it, electrifying Bidston-Wrexham on 3rd rail could finally happen, but more 777s will need to be ordered to make it possible

Why would TfW want 3rd rail electrification?

gc4946

Why would TfW want 3rd rail electrification?

We don't know what TfW thinks of a change in policy on 3rd rail electrification.
Otherwise a compromise could be made to electrify Bidston-Heswall on 3rd rail and use battery power Heswall-Wrexham

Bald Rick

Veteran Member

at Ashford it’s a couple of trains an hour each way, with all trains stopping.

at Basingstoke it would be an order of magnitude more trains, with some not stopping.

the Problem with dual electrified AC/DC systems is the amount of electricity that it has to deal with, and at Basingstoke it would be a lot.

I would argue that everywhere west of Basingstoke should be wired to 25kv overhead, and potentially also east to Farnborough to allow SWML linespeeds to be increased from 100 to 125mph.

25kV east of Basingstoke does not, of itself, allow 125mph. It also needs resignalling, new track, new bridges, etc etc.

gc4946

If 25 kV is chosen between Basingstoke-Southampton Freightliner terminal there would have to be a changeover point somewhere east of Basingstoke with perhaps two platforms there retaining 3rd rail in case of problems with EMUs not able to use AC power.
Eastleigh would need to retain 3rd rail in the bay platform for Fareham services and access to the works.
3rd rail access will be needed between St Denys and SWR's traincare depot at Northam particularly ECS to/from Fratton.
There'll need to be a changeover point at Millbrook or Redbridge between AC and DC power, unless one or two platforms retain 3rd rail at Southampton Central for emergencies.
The electric spine idea will need careful thought about where dual voltage sections are located.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
If 25 kV is chosen between Basingstoke-Southampton Freightliner terminal there would have to be a changeover point somewhere east of Basingstoke with perhaps two platforms there retaining 3rd rail in case of problems with EMUs not able to use AC power.
Eastleigh would need to retain 3rd rail in the bay platform for Fareham services and access to the works.
3rd rail access will be needed between St Denys and SWR's traincare depot at Northam particularly ECS to/from Fratton.
There'll need to be a changeover point at Millbrook or Redbridge between AC and DC power, unless one or two platforms retain 3rd rail at Southampton Central for emergencies.
The electric spine idea will need careful thought about where dual voltage sections are located.

all valid points, but the electric spine is long since dead and not happening.

Grumbler

The noise and fumes coming from an Uckfield service waiting on platform 10 at London Bridge with engines roaring are a powerful argument for third rail to Uckfield. By contrast the 377 on 12 to Epsom glides away quietly.
Bimodes, such as the excellent FLIRT units currently operating in East Anglia, would solve that problem.

Turtle

Bimodes, such as the excellent FLIRT units currently operating in East Anglia, would solve that problem.
To an extent but bear in mind that in terms of efficiency a bimode is a dmu lugging around an electric motor. Simultaneously it is an emu burdened with a fuel tank and diesel engine. It is the short term thinkers pseudo solution to avoid electrification.

Status
Not open for further replies.