• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

4 Sub Association Group

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WesternLancer

Established Member
I think one of the things for a museum that may aim to a wider audience (or other family members who may visit with a person of keener interest) is to show exhibits that can strike a chord with a visitor - particularly when there is an element of social history about it. That can mean displaying things that are generally historically accurate, but also from different periods - so a family of different generations may have someone who was a child in the 50s and commuted to work in the 70s but whose daughter commuted in the 80s (say) and livery schemes they recall from those periods is a way to strike that chord - eg Green / Blue / Blue Grey / NSE etc in this case.
Being able to take a young child round and say 'nana went to work on a train like this every day for years and years' is a way to convey that history. So there can be an argument for mixing it up a bit.
Still, at the end of the day it's up to the people who put the sweat and cash into preserving things, and I guess the group will be thinking about all such issues now they have a nice dry place to keep this important assett!

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Yes there is also a carraige at the EARM that both sides are different. See below link to the RHRP survey
I've not been to the EARM, so I haven't seen it, but I wonder how many people have seen just one side of it and don't know that the other side is different?

Journeyman

Established Member
The Museum of Scottish Railways at Bo'ness has an original Glasgow Subway car, which is painted differently on each side...but they always were, because one side was never seen by the public. :)

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
The Museum of Scottish Railways at Bo'ness has an original Glasgow Subway car, which is painted differently on each side...but they always were, because one side was never seen by the public. :)

Yes, I think that I have seen that one!

davetheguard

Established Member
I used to travel on the unit often. This was shorty after boarding at Ashtead one morning in early 1983.

View attachment 86888

Thanks for the interior pic; something that I, for one, certainly didn't think of taking at the time. Lots of books available with exterior shots of green Southern units which are great & atmospheric to see, and some of classes I don't remember like the Nelsons, but they lack this sort of illustration that shows what it was like to be a passenger in one. Thanks, Deepgreen!

4-SUB 4732

Established Member
It is indeed a very interesting development.

The effective way this works is that the 4SA / HETT must prove it is proactively working on a vehicle at a time, and then it becomes a permanent exhibit. Taken from the most recent membership mag.

Status
Not open for further replies.