• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

4-VEP heading to Ilford

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Do they need central door locking? I mean the slam doors being phased out didn't. Not even sure the final one to run on the south west trains network had central door locking.

I can see why from a safety point of view. Just thought they would leave it as it was, given they never bothered to update the other slam doors prior to retirement.

It would seem like overkill to me as well, but it seems to have been one of the sticking points so far.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WestCountry

Being that current Mk1 hauled stock used on charter work is not so fitted, surely the same would apply to Mk1 EMUs employed on charter work?
Charter LHCS relies on having stewards by the vestibules in each carriage. That doesn't really work for VEPs, you'd need one in every compartment!

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Charter LHCS relies on having stewards by the vestibules in each carriage. That doesn't really work for VEPs, you'd need one in every compartment!

Yes fair comment, I was absent mindedly thinking more of a Rep/Cep/Cig etc. type of configuration:oops:

TheJRB

Established Member
Being that current Mk1 hauled stock used on charter work is not so fitted, surely the same would apply to Mk1 EMUs employed on charter work?

It would seem like overkill to me as well, but it seems to have been one of the sticking points so far.
For the record, the Hastings Diesels Thumper has central door locking, so even though it has significantly fewer doors, it shows that it can be done.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
For the record, the Hastings Diesels Thumper has central door locking, so even though it has significantly fewer doors, it shows that it can be done.

Theoretically yes, but then cost becomes the issue. I was chatting to somebody involved with HDL a couple of years back and they mentioned that one of the reasons why they haven't refurbed one of their compartment firsts (which have four doors on the corridor and eight on the compo side) was the prohibitive cost of fitting CDL to so many extra doors, so whoever was doing the refurb would have to have deep pockets to do a whole VEP !

GearJammer

Given that a 4VEP going back on the mainline for heritage use would probably not be having as many people getting off and on at every station as per when they were in frontline use would it not make sence to only fit central locking to the end and central doors and lock all the others out of use, that way you would only need a steward per coach as opposed to every compartment? Then if it visits heritage lines all the doors can be unlocked for use?

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Given that a 4VEP going back on the mainline for heritage use would probably not be having as many people getting off and on at every station as per when they were in frontline use would it not make sence to only fit central locking to the end and central doors and lock all the others out of use, that way you would only need a steward per coach as opposed to every compartment? Then if it visits heritage lines all the doors can be unlocked for use?

Yes, that would be a fairly pragmatic way forward. Wouldn't be exactly like the good old days, but near enough. There is something quite poetic about seeing a line of doors being flung open in a London terminus.

455driver

Veteran Member
Yes, that would be a fairly pragmatic way forward. Wouldn't be exactly like the good old days, but near enough. There is something quite poetic about seeing a line of doors being flung open halfway down the platform in a London terminus as the train slows to a stop.

Corrected that for ya! ;)

BingBong50

I know he has not been at Ilford for very long but does anyone know how Gordon the 4 VEP is doing. It's an exciting project but I guess one that will take quite a bit of time.

Established Member
Sitting in Ley St sidings (Ilford end of yard away from the running lines) the other day. Part of A shop is closed for conversion work to accommodate the class 345 delivery, so Bombardier shed space is at a premium just now.

alexl92

Established Member
Just out of interest, how do they plan on running the 4VEP once it's restored? As has been commented, no heritage lines have 3rd rail so surely that leaves only charter work? Or will it be used in push-pull configuration with a 33/73?

colchesterken

How about one of the new refurbd 73s..1600 hp 90 mph on a 4 car unit should go like the clappers

Always pushing from the rear of course so everyone can enjoy the VEP running at speed
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Also if Ilford can do Gordon. and we asked them very nicely would they do up 306 017 which is rotting away out in the open at Wakes Colne

love to see it back in action on the Walton or Harwich lines

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Just out of interest, how do they plan on running the 4VEP once it's restored? As has been commented, no heritage lines have 3rd rail so surely that leaves only charter work? Or will it be used in push-pull configuration with a 33/73?

Hopefully charter work, on the main line, under its own power.

Fincra5

Established Member
Stick it with a 73 or 33 when the bluebell reach Haywards Heath. Interlock would give the train mainline safety for the bit from Ardingly Spur to the Heath.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Stick it with a 73 or 33 when the bluebell reach Haywards Heath. Interlock would give the train mainline safety for the bit from Ardingly Spur to the Heath.

Could do something similar for the Mid Hants. Even if they could just use it for shuttles to galas and the like (as used to happen with the 4SUB unit back in the day).

BingBong50

Interesting article in the online weekly subscription magazine "Railway Herald" this week about "Gordon the 4 VEP"

BingBong50

Does it say what they intend to do with Gordon when it's finished ?

Highlights of the article are:

Re-skinning coaches and repaint using high quality two-pack process
One coach at a time with first expected to be moved indoors by Mid-March
First two coaches hopefully complete by Summer
New step boards to every coach in consultation with Bluebell Railway to conform with BR(SR)SWT 400 series specs
Permission to be sought to fit GSM-R equipment to both driving trailers
Main line operation being end target so OTMR also needs to be fitted
Unit in generally good condition
Damp and cold inside but no notable water ingress
Bombardier to reseat the coach windows.

colchesterken

mmmmm., loads of ideas

Charters to Bournemouth.Brighton.Margate. Could we fix up a date for him with the Brighton Belle when she is finished ( as they have the same running gear it should work )
they could go all over the Southern
Then there is the rebuilt class 73s ..90 on desiel they could go anyware..

If we asked nicely would the Bombardier aprentices do up the class 306 which is rotting at EARM

Ash Bridge

Established Member
mmmmm., loads of ideas

Charters to Bournemouth.Brighton.Margate. Could we fix up a date for him with the Brighton Belle when she is finished ( as they have the same running gear it should work )
they could go all over the Southern
Then there is the rebuilt class 73s ..90 on desiel they could go anyware..

If we asked nicely would the Bombardier aprentices do up the class 306 which is rotting at EARM

As a slight aside, at some future point when the VEP is up and running, was just wondering if it would be possible to restore a 4REP to operational condition? I believe two cars still survive and possibly two others could be sourced from an existing CIG/BIG. Perhaps also with the end now in sight for the 442s (sorry guys I love those too!) maybe some of the original REP traction equipment could be salvaged from one of these?

Deepgreen

Established Member
As a slight aside, at some future point when the VEP is up and running, was just wondering if it would be possible to restore a 4REP to operational condition? I believe two cars still survive and possibly two others could be sourced from an existing CIG/BIG. Perhaps also with the end now in sight for the 442s (sorry guys I love those too!) maybe some of the original REP traction equipment could be salvaged from one of these?

I'd love to see the safety case for the free-standing wooden chairs in the buffet car!

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Things do look hopeful for "Gordon":) By the way, as someone has mentioned it, how are things going with the refurb of the Brighton Belle?

colchesterken

The belle is going well. I read someware in the last few days they hope to have a short set of 3 coaches running this year. May have been in Railway Hearld
Gordon has his own web site on facebook. I think he uses a scribe to do the typing
I did suggested a date with the Belle but he said she was too posh to hook up with a 4VEP,,I think they would make a great couple, the posh people could go in Belle plebs in Gordon

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
The belle is going well. I read someware in the last few days they hope to have a short set of 3 coaches running this year. May have been in Railway Hearld

Gordon has his own web site on facebook. I think he uses a scribe to do the typing

I did suggested a date with the Belle but he said she was too posh to hook up with a 4VEP,,I think they would make a great couple, the posh people could go in Belle plebs in Gordon

Well I know which bit I'd have to be in then. !

They could make it a threesome and link up with "Linda Lymington Flier" which used to run from Brockenhurst for the Isle Of Wight connection. :D (I think she is on one of the preserved lines now?

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
Linda lymington flyer is at the chinnor and princess risborough railway undergoing restoration. There is also a CEP being un-refurbished at Eastleigh

Status
Not open for further replies.