• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

43074's Trip Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
First things first, I'm establishing this thread for my trip reports to keep things tidier - I know I don't do that many trip reports but it might be an incentive to do a few more!

18/02/2014 - Great Escape

A snap decision was made the day before that I was doing a LM Great Escape on realising the LM 321s won't be spending much more time on WCML duties - therefore it provided a brilliant opportunity to get some of these before they head up to Scotland later this year. A plan was hurriedly drawn up which would enable me to get some 321s and cover some new track. Here goes...

The alarm (particularly unwelcome during school half-terms) was off at 07:00, reminding me I had a rather exciting appointment for the day which rather offset the disappointment when the alarm went off. So, the first move of the day was a bus to Leicester station where I would pick up my tickets for the non London Midland part of the trip (a Leicester - Rugby Anytime Day Return and Z1-6 Travelcard) and my first unit for the day - mega mega mega dud 170103 - to Nuneaton, which was on the 08:48 departure for Birmingham New Street. Nuneaton is always a hive of activity, such that I missed 2 freights as I was exchanging my Great Escape voucher for the day rover. For £30 for a trip to London in total, I wasn't complaining!

I observed 66568 head towards Birmingham on a liner, before boarding my Desiro - 350104 - for the trip South on the WCML. I have a habit of changing my plans at the last minute - my initial plan was to nip to Milton Keynes, change there and take a slower service to Watford Junction but the attraction of a fast run from MKC to Euston proved to big a distraction, so I stayed onboard for the trip to Euston. Various locos were spotted on the Willesden complex but nothing particularly of note - although 86259 was a nice surprise.

Having splashed down at Euston, I ran up the Euston Road to Kings Cross. My main aim was to cover as many London termini as possible during my 4-hour window in central London - this was necessary in order to cram the 321 action in later on - but nonetheless some good festering was done. I payed a flying visit into Kings Cross for a few pictures of the East Coast stuff before it gets ''Virgined'', and 91101 was a pleasant surprise in it's Flying Scotsman advertising livery. A couple of HSTs were also present which are always a welcome sight.
P2184936 by huwross97, on Flickr
Having paid a flying visit to Kings Cross, I flew over to St Pancras for the flight to Stratford (I'll fetch my coat), on winning Javelin 395022 at the cost of £3.95 for a single to Stratford International. The seat was most welcome having been standing continuously since 09:00 that morning. Anyway, at Stratford I left and pondered at the engineering magnificence of the Stratford box which has a sadly deserted air to it - there can't have been 10 passengers in the station during the time I was there. I bought a baguette from the station cafe for £2.95 (for London prices I considered that good value, it wasn't bad) but it was most welcome. A trip on the DLR was next and I hopped on with seconds before departure for the run to Stratford.

I needed 9 315s for sight when I arrived at Stratford, and left having seen 2 more in the half hour I had there - taking the total needed to 7. A few Skoda surprises as well, in the form of 90048 on a late running liner and repainted 90011 on the 10:30 from Norwich. I also bagged demonstrator 317722 and then managed to get some 315 action in the form of 315837 (and 852) for haulage to Liverpool Street - I was well chuffed! Winning 315, 832, was observed on Bethnal Green Bank, so now 6 315s were required for sight. Had I not been on such a tight schedule, I might have tried my luck at Bethnal Green station but alas time did not allow for that. I'm convinced the person who decided to paint 315837's vestibules ''snot'' green, was either colourblind or needs to go to specsavers, although the TfL Rail livery is quite nice, albeit bland without branding.
90011 Stratford by huwross97, on Flickr
I spent a little time at Liverpool Street, and bagged 357043 for sight on Platform 8, what it was doing there I'm not sure, so more snaps were taken and it was henceforth to London Bridge via the Central and Northern lines (I don't take tube numbers). Winning units (and brand new) 387109 & 121 were on offer on the 13:12 to Brighton which I had to East Croydon - my opinion of the seats, they are OK if you sit bolt upright. Any other seated position and the torture of the Spanish Inquisition would probably be a comparable source of pain.
387109 & 387121 London Bridge by huwross97, on Flickr
It was back over to Platform 1 at East Croydon for the 13:27 to London Victoria - with winning units 377122 and 124. Very comfortable I must say after a trip on the 387s, although the ride quality was much worse. The 13:53 to Epsom was formed of more winning units at Victoria, 377612 and 613 which I had to Clapham Junction. I had some time for festering at Clapham Junction which provided a welcome break - 458536 was noted for the first time and I now think the Class 70s look pleasing to the eye. More BREL action was had in the form of 455702 and 919 to Waterloo.
43013/014 London Euston by huwross97, on Flickr
Time was no longer on my side, and I had to abort my trip to Paddington and Marylebone stations in favour of sticking to my new plan. The Bakerloo line was had to Oxford Circus, from where an 09 stock whisked me to Euston. A welcome sight at Euston were 43013 & 014, which I drooled over for half an hour before taking yet another winner - 350105 - to Watford Junction. Europhenix 86701 was noted at Willesden Depot this time, as well as 70001 which subsequently followed me home (well, to Nuneaton, anyway). I bailed at Watford Junction for 321414 to St Albans Abbey. It's a pleasant branch really, quite surprising so close to the concrete utopia not so far away.
321414 St Albans Abbey by huwross97, on Flickr
Anyway, it was straight back to the Junction where I had intended to wait for the 16:47 to Milton Keynes, but decided to take the 16:36 (IIRC) to Berkhamsted which was formed of triple troubles 350113, 370 and 375 - the /3s being winners! After a brief interlude at Berkhamsted, where 90045 headed South and 325001 & 004 were noted going North, amongst other things, 321412 (dud) and 321413 were had for the run to Milton Keynes which was brilliant.
321412 & 321413 at Berkhamsted by huwross97, on Flickr
70001 passed me again, before I headed North on 350121/109 to Rugby. Unfortunately we were stuck behind the 70, so it was rather tedious to say the least! Anyway, a +5 connection was made at Rugby into 350124 & 257 to Nuneaton (where I was again overtaken by 70001), before heading onto 170519 back to Leicester.

----------

Top Spot: Probably 43013 and 014 at Euston
Lowlight: Having to skip Paddington and Marylebone
Total London Termini visited: Euston, St Pancras, Kings Cross, Liverpool Street, London Bridge, London Victoria & London Waterloo - 7.
Haulage of the day: 321412/3 Berkhamsted to Milton Keynes.

I'll add a few photos later.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kristofferson

A welcome sight at Euston were 43013 & 014
What were these doing at Euston?

A good way to spend a day off - glad you managed to snap the East Coast trains before they got painted. Did that myself the other day. Good route around the capital too :)

Kite159

Veteran Member
Agreed, the 321s on the WCML are excellent. I need to get there again to try and score my last couple LM 321s before they head north.

Good read :)

Established Member
What were these doing at Euston?

They're part of the Network Rail ''New Measurement Train'', basically they test the condition of the track, overhead wires etc. etc. so can be seen on all main lines. They generally work a rota which covers all principal main lines every few weeks.

Agreed, the 321s on the WCML are excellent. I need to get there again to try and score my last couple LM 321s before they head north.

They are rather tatty though, especially 414. They still have Silverlink route maps and NSE seat moquette as well, which is quirky from an enthusiast perspective.

Good read :)

Kite159

Veteran Member
The route maps from 2001, always good to see the TOCs no longer in existence

Although not limited to 321s, southern 455s haven't been updated to include the LO east/south London lines, the 313s don't even have the redhil to Tonbridge service as a southeastern

Last edited:

Kristofferson

Oh of course, I've seen it there before!

The WCML 321s are quite well kept compared to most of the stuff some train companies run (looking at you, Greater Anglia).

Established Member
I've updated with a few photos.

The route maps from 2001, always good to see the TOCs no longer in existence

Although not limited to 321s, southern 455s haven't been updated to include the LO east/south London lines, the 313s don't even have the redhil to Tonbridge service as a southeastern

I saw one from 1998, interesting to note how much has changed.

Oh of course, I've seen it there before!

The WCML 321s are quite well kept compared to most of the stuff some train companies run (looking at you, Greater Anglia).

I didn't think the 315s I had were too bad really, I will still hold my view that the 321s on WCML are probably the worst I've encountered.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Welcome to the clan of trip report writers! :D

An enjoyable read for sure, and looks like a good time was had for sure. Good few winners and I bet the run on the 321s was enjoyable! I had a Cheddington to Bletchley run on a pair of 321s (I think it was the same service you had) last year and loved it massively. Guess what I'm making sure I enjoy on Monday! ;)

Good shots there too fair dos, and crikey London Bridge has changed a bit since I last saw it!

Rather looking forward to seeing more trip reports from you in the future too :)

noddy1878

Established Member
I've updated with a few photos.

I saw one from 1998, interesting to note how much has changed.

I didn't think the 315s I had were too bad really, I will still hold my view that the 321s on WCML are probably the worst I've encountered.

Some good photos there. I would say the Greater Anglia ones are in far worse a state than the LM ones. Greater Anglia it would seem don't know how to clean a train.

Established Member
Welcome to the clan of trip report writers! :D

An enjoyable read for sure, and looks like a good time was had for sure. Good few winners and I bet the run on the 321s was enjoyable! I had a Cheddington to Bletchley run on a pair of 321s (I think it was the same service you had) last year and loved it massively. Guess what I'm making sure I enjoy on Monday! ;)

Brilliant day, plenty of winners and great weather too which always helps!

I always enjoy a run on 321s, especially in the panto vehicle where there is more noise. I remember covering the Braintree line a good few years back (when I was 10 or so) and insisted on opening the window to listen to the scream from the motors! :oops:

Good shots there too fair dos...

Thank You :)

...and crikey London Bridge has changed a bit since I last saw it!

It's changed massively since I was there in November, bright new concourse there as well now for Southern services. I'm looking forward to 2018 when it's all done.

Rather looking forward to seeing more trip reports from you in the future too :)

No pressure then :lol: I'll keep them coming but I've got a rather busy year ahead of me so I'm not sure how many trips/reports I'll get done.

Some good photos there. I would say the Greater Anglia ones are in far worse a state than the LM ones. Greater Anglia it would seem don't know how to clean a train.

LM are better on the Desiros than Greater Anglia, that's for sure, but in terms of the internal cleanliness of the 321s they're probably just as bad. That's my take on it, externally LM win hands down. It doesn't help that Abellio have a tendancy to paint everything white.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
You lot are painting an image of rancid trains on GA, think I'll have to investigate next month when I'm down there.

Pantograph/motor cars on EMUs are always the best ones to do, especially on BR-era EMUs!

Established Member
First ''proper'' bash for a few months, A-levels seem to have taken over at the moment so whilst there is a slight 'lull' on the exam front I seized the opportunity to do a West Midlands Ranger...

West Midlands Day Ranger, 23/05/2015
I have to admit I love the feeling of coming back to the rails after a few months away, even to the extent that I was delighted to my first haulage of the day, 170523: there's a first for everything, and that will probably be the last time I experience such excitement over a Turbostar. Anyway, this excitement was enough to keep me on my merry way to Birmingham New Street, until I quickly remembered what an absolute hell-hole that place is.

On the agenda I had basically pencilled in seeing Duchess of Sutherland, getting some Cat haulage (68 haulage) and anything else that caught my attention. Anyhow, I started with a mini 323 bash (these are great brilliant units, superb acceleration - I'm a big fan) to Walsall with 323213. In the event I bailed at Tame Bridge Parkway, 25 minutes at Walsall before returning didn't particularly appeal. 5 minutes after alighting, I was heading back to Birmingham on 170504. I had intended to return on the direct line but alas I had forgotten that departures from New St - Rugeley go direct from New St - Hamstead and the return workings go via Aston. I'm not overly familiar with workings in the West Midlands, certainly not compared to my knowledge of the East Midlands network.

Back in the black hole of New Street (lovely) I decided to make my way to Tamworth to photograph Duchess of Sutherland, which I did on recently refurbished (and WiFi equipped) 170114. I have to admit I had forgotten the traits of the platform end, which appeared to be communication by grunting or none at all, restricted access to shampoo and an array of weird and wonderful bodily odours. Never mind, I don't frequent platform ends much anyway. I did however see Duchess of Sutherland, which made a grand sight speeding through at approx. 70mph (I reckon):
46233, Tamworth, 23/05/2015 by Huw Rossiter, on Flickr
This mini-fester complete, after 40 minutes, I headed back to Birmingham on 220021 and changed for 221131 (oh the joys!) to Leamington Spa. I am a great fan of the GWR, and I was delighted to see how well preserved Leamington Spa station is, complete in heritage browns - a nice break from the corporate abyss of the privatised railway. Phil Sayer is still announcing at Leamington Spa for those announcement freaks who know their station announcements. A low rumble entered into earshot, as 68011 arrived on the 12:24 Chiltern Mainline service to Birmingham Moor Street. Lovely locos, and despite three signal checks we still arrived at Moor Street on time at 12:55. Excellent acceleration as well, and a great sound! 10/10, best thing to happen to UK railways for a while (although clearly not the view of one gentleman who alighted a Moor Street, who proceeded to rant over how ''they'd be better if they'd been built in Britain!'' - the BNP have clearly had their share of influence over the rail enthusiast world.)
68011 Leamington Spa, 23/05/2015 by Huw Rossiter, on Flickr
At Moor Street I continued with a bit of photography, briefly, and got a few shots of 168s/172s on the Snow Hill lines. After a brief fester and a spot of lunch, it was on 172339 to Smethwick Galton Bridge, then 323213 (again...) to Birmingham New Street. Yes, I know I went the lazy way but having bought a ticket that would permit such a move - why not maximise my rail mileage (by all of 8 miles 34 chains...)? It was back to the lovely 323s at New Street, with 32323232323216 to Redditch and back to Barnt Green, where a 20 minute wait produced 323221 on a service to Lichfield Trent Valley - where I would emerge 1 hour and 15 minutes later, after some brilliant 323 thrash (Ok, I'll stop now).
323221, Barnt Green, 23/05/2015 by Huw Rossiter, on Flickr
The sun decided to appear at Lichfield for the first time, by which time most of the day's activities were over, but never mind. 350231 appeared on the 17:01 to Rugby, much to my annoyance although at least it was a winner. I went to Rugby to see if there would be a loco in one of the bays. There wasn't. Back to Coventry it was, on 350245 after mild disappointment, although 57302 did head South, light engine whilst I was waiting. From Coventry it was a dogbox, 153365 to Nuneaton, and then home to Leicester on that lovely Turbostar, 170523.
57302, Rugby, 23/05/2015 by Huw Rossiter, on Flickr

Total mileage: 271 miles
Tickets: YP Leicester - Nuneaton CDR, £7.05
YP West Midlands Day Ranger: £16.35 - Total, £23.40.

Last edited:

Established Member
Some good reading there.
I love the shot of Duchess Of Sutherland and I'm not in any way a steam man.
Welcome to the class 68 appreciation society.
They're great :)

Techniquest

Veteran Member
An enjoyable read there, and someone else who loves 323s! :D I really need to get back down to Redditch, as I need the new loop on that line. Getting some Starship haulage as I go is a Brucie Bonus! ;)

Agreed the shot of the steam loco is excellent. Jealous that another forum member has got to the 68s before I have, it's sure making me strongly consider a WMDR next month. Hard to believe I haven't yet done one this year...

Good to see you enjoyed your visit to the superior side of the Midlands! ;)

Established Member
That was a cracking read 43074, with some excellent photo's too, got to agree, with 55013, that photo of the Duchess is a cracking shot. Yeah I think the 68's are proving very popular among those of us in the railway fraternity. Really looking forward to sampling them for haulage next week.

Last edited:

Established Member
I've only just seen these replies :oops:

Some good reading there.
I love the shot of Duchess Of Sutherland and I'm not in any way a steam man.

Welcome to the class 68 appreciation society.
They're great :)

Haha, I quite agree, superb locos which make a great sound.

An enjoyable read there, and someone else who loves 323s! :D I really need to get back down to Redditch, as I need the new loop on that line. Getting some Starship haulage as I go is a Brucie Bonus! ;)

There's more to that loop than appears, it seemed quite a long stretch of line with 75mph running as well which surprised me, I was expecting the traditional station passing loop but some fairly considerable building work has clearly taken place, probably over a mile stretch or so.

Agreed the shot of the steam loco is excellent. Jealous that another forum member has got to the 68s before I have, it's sure making me strongly consider a WMDR next month. Hard to believe I haven't yet done one this year...

Now that is hard to believe, I'm guessing you've had everything West Midlands-wise. Best 68 results are on a weekday though, potential for four locos if you're in the right place in the right time and no chance of 67s now Chiltern have stopped using them.

Good to see you enjoyed your visit to the superior side of the Midlands! ;)

Superior... is that including or excluding Duddesdon, Aston, Gravelly Hill, Walsall or all of the above? More HSTs to be had on our side as well ;)

That was a cracking read 43074, with some excellent photo's too, got to agree, with 55013, that photo of the Duchess is a cracking shot. Yeah I think the 68's are proving very popular among those of us in the railway fraternity. Really looking forward to sampling them for haulage next week.

68s are indeed proving popular, I suspect it has something to do with the fact that they don't go 'ying ying'...

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I've had virtually everything that comes to the Midlands, except for any 68s, 350369 and 6 390s. And the 168/3s when they come about!

Aye you've got many more HSTs than we have, but we have the better scenery in the Malverns! ;)

Established Member
Aye you've got many more HSTs than we have, but we have the better scenery in the Malverns! ;)

North Derbyshire (Derwent Valley, Peak District) is rather lovely though! A trip up the Derwent Valley Line is always enjoyable, comparable to or better than the Malverns ;) At least the major station in the region isn't a dump like Birmingham New Street though.

Anyway, I can see where this East Midlands v. West Midlands debate is going, perhaps we better stop, it's almost as bad as North v. South...

Techniquest

Veteran Member
In the infamous words of Ali G:

"West side is the best!"

;)

Yes we must stop debating the best and worst parts of the Midlands, although I will give you Derwent Valley, it is indeed a very nice journey from Ambergate Junction to Matlock. If the major station in the East Midlands is Nottingham, the station I know there was a dump and a half, although this was well before the refurbishment was carried out and I've not been back since 2012. I am up in Nottingham a week on Monday for a tram bash, so I'll see what it's like now :)

Established Member

"West side is the best!"

;)

Yes we must stop debating the best and worst parts of the Midlands, although I will give you Derwent Valley, it is indeed a very nice journey from Ambergate Junction to Matlock. If the major station in the East Midlands is Nottingham, the station I know there was a dump and a half, although this was well before the refurbishment was carried out and I've not been back since 2012. I am up in Nottingham a week on Monday for a tram bash, so I'll see what it's like now :)

Nottingham station is very nice now, heavily refurbished since 2012. The city itself leaves quite a bit to be desired though...

LowLevel

Established Member

"West side is the best!"

;)

Make sure you have a look in the Pumpkin by platform 6, and the main station entrance - they're stunning now. The place looks a million times better.

Established Member
I haven't updated this thread for quite some time, so I'll start catching up when I get time in the next few weeks. First up, my most recent trip...

West Midlands Day Ranger - 23/04/2016
To be honest I'd been meaning to do a West Mids Ranger for some time, unfortunately being a student the opportunity to do so over the Easter break was rather restrained by a 'variable' financial situation. Anyway, I did one on Saturday, from Leeds (- and yes, that is rather desperate considering I'm normally a stonesthrow away from Nuneaton :lol::roll:)

The morning started bright and early, the alarm went of at 05:00 - partly to make the most of the day, partly to prepare myself for an early wake up for the St Philips March open day next Monday. I get to the station, buy my tickets - returns to Crewe, splitting at Manchester Piccadilly, and the Ranger itself - and make my way over to Platform 16 for 185110 on the 06:20 to Manchester Airport. A group of people - roughly my age, 18 or so - sit opposite me, looking rather worse for wear after what was clearly a ''heavy night out on the town''. And no, I don't do that sort of thing, I'd rather fritter my student loan away on rail rovers and such than clubs and rather expensive taxis that I will likely end up regretting the next day anyway. After an uneventful journey, we arrive at Manchester Piccadilly, and 175114 waits in the opposite platform for my next move to Crewe, the 07:30 to Camarthen. At Crewe, I had a much needed bacon roll, before my next move to Wolverhampton; I'll add at this point that the rover was basically completely spontaneous, so I ended up taking 350243 to Wolverhampton, and swapping it for a 221(101) to New Street. Nothing to see here...

I head over to Moor Street where I realise a 68 was due on the 09:55 to Marylebone, which I took as far as Leamington Spa; 68010 providing the power. I have to admit I'm a big fan of the silver sets, and of course the 68s which I'm very much looking forward to on TPE at some point in the near or distant future. At a slightly cool, but nonetheless pleasant, fester at Leamington, during which time 70019 passed through on it's way to Southampton, 165010 produced itself for the trip to Stratford-u-Avon. A pleasant ride, although the train itself was full and standing, mostly with a significant number tourists heading to Stratford from London for the day. 172334 took me back to Moor Street, where 68009 (:D) was waiting to take the 13:55 to London; I had a brief spin on this to Solihull because... well, why not? To be fair it sounded cracking departing Solihull. More of the same, in the form of 172340 back to Moor Street, where I dashed over to New Street for a Voyager - and a rather nice but also quite expensive Pasty - so I could cover the line between Coventry & Leamington Spa; somehow this had alluded me in my years of doing WMDRs from Leicester but there we go.

I returned from Leamington to New Street on another Voyager, where I decided to head out to Worcester on the 16:50 to Hereford which, much to my surprise, was formed of 172213 & 217. I must say was impressed by the look of the new station at Bromsgrove, which is progressing well, and I look forward to trying 323s down the Lickey bank in the near future. It was back to Smethwick G.B. on 172219 which was comfortably filled, and a 323 to New Street. I realised this presented the opportunity for me to cover the new flyover at Norton Bridge, so I took another Voyager to Stoke-on-Trent, which - as I'd suspected - used the new flyover. I was impressed really, although we were held outside Stone for a few minutes having gained a couple of minutes in the process. I swapped my Voyager for 350234 for the run to Crewe, although only because my Crewe - Manchester return forced me to travel via Crewe rather than direct. The sunset was nice as well, but it was all but dark by the time I left Crewe on 175107 on a late running 20:30 to Manchester. 185105 was had back to Leeds. After 18 hours at it I was more than ready to fall into bed at about midnight, but it was a very enjoyable day out nonetheless!

Kite159

Veteran Member
Sounded like a busy little unplanned day with some new track covered (probably a bit of track young Quinn will be needing for a fair while unless he gets it on a tour).

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Welcome back to the trip reporting side of things! Sounds like you had a great day in my neck of the woods and I agree with you that the cats sound great!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
(probably a bit of track young Quinn will be needing for a fair while unless he gets it on a tour).
Which bit is that? Norton Bridge flyover? I guess I could get it on a dez (probably when I go to get the shack at Stone).

Kite159

Veteran Member
Welcome back to the trip reporting side of things! Sounds like you had a great day in my neck of the woods and I agree with you that the cats sound great!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Which bit is that? Norton Bridge flyover? I guess I could get it on a dez (probably when I go to get the shack at Stone).

Leamington to Coventry

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Dud several times round ;)! I think I've had that on brush, deltics, tractors, trams, the old Wrexham and Shrop shovels (a lot for those ones!) and a few other things. Never any units though!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Welcome back to the trip reporting scene! Looks like you had a great day, although long and exhausting!

323s going up the Lickey will be better than having one down it, surely? ;)

Established Member
A nice move, although any day out involving class 68 haulage is going to be good :)

Status
Not open for further replies.