• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

5 car Turbo, Berks and Hants 17 March

Not something that I've seen through here for a very long time, looks like the last stopper on the Newbury-Bedwyn shuttle (2car) failed in Bedwyn Reversing siding and was rescued this morning by a 3car, unfortunately cancelling a passenger path Bedwyn-Reading to do so.

Failed unit 165125, rescue 165113 (formed 2K86 down from Reading), the return was cancelled and this ran instead formed both.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Nothing was wrong with 165125, the unit was left at Bedwyn Reverse sidings overnight due to a bridge strike at Hungerford.

165113 coupled to the unit on 5K45 to retrieve it back to Reading TCD, it couldn't run in passenger service due to 165125 being expired for prep. I belive a 5 car turbo also doesn't fit at all stops so it was run ECS.

Nothing was wrong with 165125, the unit was left at Bedwyn Reverse sidings overnight due to a bridge strike at Hungerford.

165113 coupled to the unit on 5K45 to retrieve it back to Reading TCD, it couldn't run in passenger service due to 165125 being expired for prep. I belive a 5 car turbo also doesn't fit at all stops so it was run ECS.
Bedwyn and Hungerford are 3 car max but the rear set could have been locked out of use if needed.

You also had a 3 car turbo operating Pad to Great Malvern today, to say it was cozy was an understatement.

Over on the Cardiff route, it was mainly 387’s all 8 car and all extremely busy, doubt there were much more sets available but some 12’s would have made things a lot more pleasant, in the end some 387’s ended up being covered by 5 car 800’s which were leaving many people behind…

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Bedwyn and Hungerford are 3 car max but the rear set could have been locked out of use if needed.

You also had a 3 car turbo operating Pad to Great Malvern today, to say it was cozy was an understatement.

Over on the Cardiff route, it was mainly 387’s all 8 car and all extremely busy, doubt there were much more sets available but some 12’s would have made things a lot more pleasant, in the end some 387’s ended up being covered by 5 car 800’s which were leaving many people behind…

Hiatchi's weekend maintenance plan is not passenger friendly for weekends, to put it mildly. The contacts were drawn up prior to Covid which doesn't help much.

Hiatchi's weekend maintenance plan is not passenger friendly for weekends, to put it mildly. The contacts were drawn up prior to Covid which doesn't help much.
It was more LTV crew shortages that we couldn't cover 387 Cardiff workings than Hitachi Maintenance.

Juggling overnight to release 800309 from the North Cots to cover the 387s with High Speed crew and 165111 borrowed from Reading for the North Cots services.

Not ideal for customers but better than cancelling the Cardiff services in full.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
It was more LTV crew shortages that we couldn't cover 387 Cardiff workings than Hitachi Maintenance.

Juggling overnight to release 800309 from the North Cots to cover the 387s with High Speed crew and 165111 borrowed from Reading for the North Cots services.

Not ideal for customers but better than cancelling the Cardiff services in full.

I know, but 387s are basically assisting in work that was never intended for them (with the exception of sports specials).

TheWalrus

Established Member

Not quite correct, Bedwyn and Kintbury can take 4 coaches, Hungerford 6, I think Theale and Thatcham also can take 6, Reading West would certainly cope with 5 or more, not sure about the other stations but thats what it was in HST days if I remember correctly.

ThomasI

Over on the Cardiff route, it was mainly 387’s all 8 car and all extremely busy, doubt there were much more sets available but some 12’s would have made things a lot more pleasant
12 car 387s can’t run to Cardiff at present due to a lack of a suitable PIBS beacon at Newport

Not quite correct, Bedwyn and Kintbury can take 4 coaches, Hungerford 6, I think Theale and Thatcham also can take 6, Reading West would certainly cope with 5 or more, not sure about the other stations but thats what it was in HST days if I remember correctly.

According to the current Train Dispatch and Platform Safety document

Bedwyn is 3 cars despite there being a 4/5 marker in the up direction
Hungerford 3
Kintbury 4

I assume this is due to DOO restrictions more than anything, also not sure how much longer Bedwyn reversing sidings was made to accommodate the 5 car IET’s as that might have been a factor

Reading West, Theale and Thatcham 6

Parallel

Established Member

Hungerford 3
Kintbury 4

I assume this is due to DOO restrictions more than anything, also not sure how much longer Bedwyn reversing sidings was made to accommodate the 5 car IET’s as that might have been a factor

Maybe, though on IETs stopping at Bedwyn, the front four coaches are unlocked.

Maybe, though on IETs stopping at Bedwyn, the front four coaches are unlocked.
Yes but IET’s have ASDO as they aren’t fully accommodated in many locations, you can still stop a 5/9/10 car IET at Bedwyn and all stations to/from Reading.

At Bedwyn in an 5 car, it’s only the rear door that is locked out in the Down or the front door in the UP

TheWalrus

Established Member

Hungerford 3
Kintbury 4

Why is Hungerford now only 3 cars?

norbitonflyer

Established Member
No service at all at Kintbury yesterday evening as the shuttle wasn't running. GWR said they were stopping long distance trains but it seems only at stations with platforms long enough for an IEP. My son, who had been working in the village that evening, would have been stranded last night if some Good Samaritan hadn't taken pity on him and given him a lift to Newbury (and made me feel guilty for not lending him our car!)

ThomasI

No service at all at Kintbury yesterday evening as the shuttle wasn't running. GWR said they were stopping long distance trains but it seems only at stations with platforms long enough for an IEP. My son, who had been working in the village that evening, would have been stranded last night if some Good Samaritan hadn't taken pity on him and given him a lift to Newbury (and made me feel guilty for not lending him our car!)
The points to the turnback at Bedwyn have no normal detection and so the shuttle is spinning at Newbury. West of England services following the path of the Bedwyn services are calling all stations Newbury <-> Bedwyn at present

norbitonflyer

Established Member
The points to the turnback at Bedwyn have no normal detection and so the shuttle is spinning at Newbury. West of England services following the path of the Bedwyn services are calling all stations Newbury <-> Bedwyn at present
They didn't seem to be last night - or maybe there were no WoE services that late in the evening.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
They didn't seem to be last night - or maybe there were no WoE services that late in the evening.
Is it an issue about where they are reported? As of 8pm tonight, these are the next trains at Kintbury.
1711310476137.png
[Picture of output from Tiger shows departures from Kintbury for the next three hours. There are cancelled Bedwyn and Reading services, which aren't matched well by the times of Paddington and Plymouth trains making extra stops]

The pattern of departures doesn't line up well with the cancelled shuttles.

ThomasI

Is it an issue about where they are reported? As of 8pm tonight, these are the next trains at Kintbury.
View attachment 155030
[Picture of output from Tiger shows departures from Kintbury for the next three hours. There are cancelled Bedwyn and Reading services, which aren't matched well by the times of Paddington and Plymouth trains making extra stops]

The pattern of departures doesn't line up well with the cancelled shuttles.
These were the following WoE services through Bedwyn following each shuttle, hence why I arranged them to call.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
These were the following WoE services through Bedwyn following each shuttle, hence why I arranged them to call.
Yes, sorry, my point was really about where to check that the additional calls are being made. I assume they show up on the National Rail website.

ThomasI

Yes, sorry, my point was really about where to check that the additional calls are being made. I assume they show up on the National Rail website.
Yeah indeed, they will be shown on all journey planners, journey check, tiger and any other railway systems