• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

50P to use the toilets at Glasgow Queen Street

Status
Not open for further replies.

Butts

Veteran Member
I was under the mistaken misapprehension that all Station Toilets were free of charge theses days until I encountered those at the above venue.

Seems it's a primitive entry system that is 50p in the slot or nothing !!

Knowing how many people don't carry cash let alone have the exact coinage with no change machine or contactless entry could cause a problem.

Luckily I had a 50p coin - much to my relief :E

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

62484GlenLyon

Scotrail station toilets are not free to use. I believe that one of the reasons is to deter unsociable behaviour. I used these toilets twice yesterday and found them to be clean and in good order, just as on previous occasions. It appears the 50p charge works in its aim of deterring unsociable behaviour, which as far as I am concerned, is worth paying for. I prefer using these toilets than those across in Glasgow Central, which are owned by Network Rail and are free to use.

The adjacent left luggage counter staff were very helpful yesterday to a woman needing the toilet who didn't have a 50p piece, so it is always worth asking them if one doesn't have the correct coinage.

AS far as contactless card entry is concerned, it is possible. There are public toilets in a car park at Mallaig that charge 30p payable only by contactless card.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Scotrail station toilets are not free to use. I believe that one of the reasons is to deter unsociable behaviour. I used these toilets twice yesterday and found them to be clean and in good order, just as on previous occasions. It appears the 50p charge works in its aim of deterring unsociable behaviour, which as far as I am concerned, is worth paying for. I prefer using these toilets than those across in Glasgow Central, which are owned by Network Rail and are free to use.

To be fair I have found there to be far more ASB in station toilets since they became free. Charing Cross in particular is disgusting, they genuinely feel unsafe. I'm therefore OK with paying, but a card option does need to be offered, or a means of using a rail ticket for entry.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
It was briefly free, nearby Network Rail-operated Glasgow Central is free but was soon trashed - hence the charge.

I've seen references to free entry on production of a valid rail ticket but maybe they got rid of that?

Butts

Veteran Member
To be fair I have found there to be far more ASB in station toilets since they became free. Charing Cross in particular is disgusting, they genuinely feel unsafe. I'm therefore OK with paying, but a card option does need to be offered, or a means of using a rail ticket for entry.

That's a great idea !!

Are the Disabled Toilets Free at GQS (for radar key holders or whatever)

If so is this not discrimination against able bodied people who have to pay ?

Imagine if it was the other way around :?:

railfan99

Established Member
In Australia, paying for public toilets is unknown. Towns install them to attract more tourists. I have never come across one operated by a franchise or contractor.

In Germany once, I was very uncomfortable when I had the wrong coins at a station.

Generally. European cities and towns seem to believe one has to patronise a bar to go to the loo. I am in Italy and have yet to see a public toilet away from a station.

Some European stations charge a Euro to use the facilities. They appear to have been privatised.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
In Germany once, I was very uncomfortable when I had the wrong coins at a station.

Germany has, or had, an obsession with having correct change for everything. If you ever put a note down for something that could have been done with a coin, they moan.

The Swiss by contrast don't seem to care, though older station toilets require a specific coin because of the basic mechanisms.

Some European stations charge a Euro to use the facilities. They appear to have been privatised.

It does indeed seem that in some places the toilets are a profit centre - this seemed to have started with the Swiss (I think) "McClean" chain, which DB then copied as "WC-Center" - the upside of these was that they were spotless and safe with staff on hand, not something that's always true of German station toilets.

AM9

Veteran Member
In Australia, paying for public toilets is unknown. Towns install them to attract more tourists. I have never come across one operated by a franchise or contractor.

Generally. European cities and towns seem to believe one has to patronise a bar to go to the loo. I am in Italy and have yet to see a public toilet away from a station.

I believe that all resataurants in Italy are obliged to allow use of their facilities whether customers or not.

Class800

Established Member
That's a great idea !!

Are the Disabled Toilets Free at GQS (for radar key holders or whatever)

If so is this not discrimination against able bodied people who have to pay ?

Imagine if it was the other way around :?:
I have long thought it an issue that toilets aren't always free, but especially for those with medical or other situations that mean you need the toilet more. Some may be obvious e.g. pregnancy, but others less so such as anxiety disorders. How can we ensure people are not left in a difficult position due to their health? Free for all seems the only fair policy in my opinion.

Butts

Veteran Member
I have long thought it an issue that toilets aren't always free, but especially for those with medical or other situations that mean you need the toilet more. Some may be obvious e.g. pregnancy, but others less so such as anxiety disorders. How can we ensure people are not left in a difficult position due to their health? Free for all seems the only fair policy in my opinion.

I think with regard to GQS as @Bletchleyite says they should be free on production of a valid ticket.

A big showcase Station should have enough of a BTP or other presence to discourage anti-social behaviour.

50p is a bit steep for a pee, when you can have a dump for the same price.

Perhaps the charge should be based on "turdage" :E

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

Interestingly in the McClean/WC Center facilties in Germany it is usually cheaper to use the urinal than the cubicle, but that wouldn't be legal here for discrimination reasons (sex/gender and disability).

Butts

Veteran Member
Interestingly in the McClean/WC Center facilties in Germany it is usually cheaper to use the urinal than the cubicle, but that wouldn't be legal here for discrimination reasons (sex/gender and disability).

is it legal to charge able bodied and not disabled people to use a WC - surely that is also discrimination ?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
is it legal to charge able bodied and not disabled people to use a WC - surely that is also discrimination ?

Discrimination is only illegal against the 9 protected characteristics. Other discrimination isn't illegal - imagine if you couldn't discriminate in favour of the best candidate when advertising and interviewing for a job?

KT550

I think with regard to GQS as @Bletchleyite says they should be free on production of a valid ticket.

A big showcase Station should have enough of a BTP or other presence to discourage anti-social behaviour.

Perhaps the charge should be based on "turdage" :E
I'm sure on a previous visit to Queen Street (2022 or earlier) before the charge was introduced, there was a sign that said toilets were for customers only.
I took that to mean there would be a scanner/reader for train tickets but it seems not to be the case.

scragend

I believe that all resataurants in Italy are obliged to allow use of their facilities whether customers or not.
I remember being slung out of a restaurant in Florence after trying to nip in to use the toilet, having been sitting with a couple of friends at a beer & watermelon wagon in the nearby square.

Still in Italy but back onto the topic of stations, I paid €1 at Caserta station this week to use the toilet. Highway robbery (or railway robbery perhaps) but I had no other option.

The exile

Established Member
The only thing with that is that in urban / busy areas free is likely to mean insalubrious or trashed and in the long term non-existent (there is no statutory duty to provide though IMHO there should be).
Personally I experience a distinct annoyance at having to pay to pee - which immediately vanishes when I’m abroad - where it’s normal. Still try to avoid having to do so though!

D6130

Established Member
That rule applied only to bars, not restaurants and has now unfortunately been repealed. However a lot of bars in smaller towns and villages will still let you use their facilities if you ask nicely....although I ususally buy a small chocolate bar or similar on leaving.
I am in Italy and have yet to see a public toilet away from a station.
It very much depends on the policy of the local commune (town council). Our village here in Eastern Tuscany has two fully-equipped - and usually clean - public conveniences....and I have seen street corner urinals - usually only partially-screened in the French style - in larger cities such as Rome and Perugia.
Back onto the topic of stations, I paid €1 at Caserta station this week to use the toilet. Highway robbery (or railway robbery perhaps) but I had no other option.
Many larger and medium-sized stations in Italy now have pay toilets costing 1 Euro per visit. At the very large terminals they are entered by staffed turnstiles in which you insert a coin....but in some medium-sized stations your coin opens a pair of sliding doors, where the regulars will wait for someone to come out and then dive in before the doors close again - a classic Italian tax-avoidance ruse on a smaller than usual scale. The coin-operated toilet doors at Arezzo have been vandalised and jammed open for the best part of a year....whereas at nearby Chiusi and Siena stations the toilets are still free.

62484GlenLyon

Regarding free entry to the toilet for rail ticket holders - nice idea but unworkable.

Is a TOC really going to go to the expense of staffing the entrance to the toilets/providing a scanner to read tickets? Not all tickets are scannable. How do I get my free entitlement if I cannot scan the ticket? In this scenario this would have happened to me at Queen St. yesterday.

I have just got off a train. I need the toilet before leaving the station but the ticket gate has retained my ticket. How do I get my free entitlement? In this scenario this could have happened to me at Queen St. yesterday.

I enter the station from the street. Before queuing for a ticket/battling with a TVM I need the toilet. How do I get my free entitlement? In this scenario this could have happened to me at Queen St. yesterday.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Regarding free entry to the toilet for rail ticket holders - nice idea but unworkable.

Is a TOC really going to go to the expense of staffing the entrance to the toilets/providing a scanner to read tickets? Not all tickets are scannable. How do I get my free entitlement if I cannot scan the ticket? In this scenario this would have happened to me at Queen St. yesterday.

I have just got off a train. I need the toilet before leaving the station but the ticket gate has retained my ticket. How do I get my free entitlement? In this scenario this could have happened to me at Queen St. yesterday.

I enter the station from the street. Before queuing for a ticket/battling with a TVM I need the toilet. How do I get my free entitlement? In this scenario this could have happened to me at Queen St. yesterday.

There's one fairly easy way to do it which is the case at a fair few stations (though not possible at all of them) - the toilets are inside the gateline. No additional checking facilities required.

If Euston ever gets a single gateline (which seems to be rumoured then goes away every now and then) they already would be. For any bar/pub or similar legally required to provide access, they could issue a gate pass to customers or print a suitable barcode on their receipt.

Peter0124

Established Member
At Manchester Piccadilly I boarded an Alderley Edge train not due to leave for around 25 minutes, just to use the toilet and got off. Since there was queues for the main toilets at the station.

Last edited:

MikeWM

Established Member
The toilets at Kings Cross and Paddington are both free and very well-maintained, and feel perfectly safe. Replicating whatever it is that they are doing successfully to other major stations would seem to be the solution here.

Edit : Liverpool Street is fine too.

AY1975

Established Member
I was under the mistaken misapprehension that all Station Toilets were free of charge theses days until I encountered those at the above venue.

Seems it's a primitive entry system that is 50p in the slot or nothing !!

Knowing how many people don't carry cash let alone have the exact coinage with no change machine or contactless entry could cause a problem.

Luckily I had a 50p coin - much to my relief :E
Does it only accept 50p coins, or any other combination of coins to the value of 50p?
The only thing with that is that in urban / busy areas free is likely to mean insalubrious or trashed and in the long term non-existent (there is no statutory duty to provide though IMHO there should be).
True, but if you are willing to take that risk (and go out of your way to find a free or cheaper toilet) then it's worth checking the toilet map at www.toiletmap.org.uk to see if there are any other public toilets (or locations with toilets available for public use) close to a station. It even tells you what hours they are open and whether they are free.

In the case of Glasgow Queen Street, it shows a few nearby, for example a John Lewis round the side of the station and the Gallery of Modern Art. And if it's not free it tells you how much you have to pay - useful if you have, say, 20p or 30p in cash but not 50p.

Farigiraf

In Wuppertal Hbf, Germany, in 2019 (I do hope this has been removed by now) the lavatories were €2, only accepting 2 euro coins. At least the Schwebebahn station had free ones, but it's highway robbery

Status
Not open for further replies.