• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

5th September stock allocation help

Status
Not open for further replies.

p.d87

Hi looking for info regarding the 08:40 Glasgow to Euston service on Friday 5th September. Myself and three others are booked on this train from Glasgow but we have been given reservations at opposite ends of the coach. Does anyone know if this will be a 9/11 coach service so I can try get a table in an unreserved coach? Any help genuinely appreciated.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ValleyLines142

Established Member
I'm not sure whether the 9-car and 11-car Pendolinos work in a common pool (please correct me if I'm wrong), but that particular service on Tuesday was a 9-car unit (390042). Not sure if this is usually the case or not.

However, Coach E is the unreserved coach on both 9-car and 11-car units, with Coach U on 11-car units also being an unreserved coach, which are both right in the centre of the train, so head to those carriages :)

p.d87

Great thanks for the help I had a feeling coach E was unreserved but was hoping for an 11 coach train so there's more chance of getting a table for the 4 of us. Guess it will be pot luck tomorrow. Early dash when it starts boarding.

ValleyLines142

Established Member
You should be okay if you're getting on it at Glasgow as that's where it starts from.

If possible, have a look on Real Time Trains to see what platform it is booked to leave from. At the moment it's booked for platform 1 from Glasgow so stand close to there :) although in theory it could depart from any platform!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
London trains rarely depart from anything but platform 1. Platform 2 on unusual occasions, yes, but they can't leave from ANY platform! I think it's platforms 13 and 14 on the western side (aka the Ayr side) that are basically two bay platforms in the middle of two other platforms. No chance a 390 would fit in there! :lol:

9 and 11 car 390s kind-of work in a common pool, but there are some services which are 'booked' to be a 390/1 11-car train when possible. I don't recall what those services are, but 0840 GLC-EUS does ring a bell.

Enjoy the journey, and finding unreserved seats in coach E or U shouldn't be too difficult to do from GLC. Never say never though, so get there to platform 1 by 0825 and you'll be fine :) Besides, you can't really miss which platform it'll leave from, hard not to see a 390!

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
For the record, platforms 1 and 2 are used as good as equally by Virgin at Glasgow Central, both of my services ran into and out of there yesterday. There's the odd booked service from 3 or 4 too, and until last year the first service ex-Euston (direct) used to run into p9. Platforms 1, 2, 9, 10 and 11 IIRC can hold a 390, probably anything except maybe the new 12 and 13 could hold a single 221.

(Also, don't forget if a service booked for 11 cars is swapped for a 9-car unit then there's no reserved coach!)

BurtonM

E on an 11 car is reserved - F and U are unreserved.
E is unreserved on 9 car diagrams only.
If it's a 9 car working an 11 car diagram then there is no unreserved section.

So if your reservation is for E you're booked on what should be an 11-car. Otherwise you can't be sure.

As for pool working, it depends on the route, but I don't think it's the case.
I've previously asked about Pendos on EUS-MAN and I was told that it's always supposed to be 11 car, but I can't speak for other routes.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.