• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

5Z37, 06 43 LSL empty stock Crewe HS-Tom na Faire depot today.

D6130

Established Member
Does anyone have any idea what this working - which is currently en route to Fort William behind 37 667 - is all about? Is it just part of Mr Hosking's Spring trip around the Highlands....or is it - heaven forbid conspiracy theories! - part of a cunning plan for LSL to take over the Jacobite?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Does anyone have any idea what this working - which is currently en route to Fort William behind 37 667 - is all about? Is it just part of Mr Hosking's Spring trip around the Highlands....or is it - heaven forbid conspiracy theories! - part of a cunning plan for LSL to take over the Jacobite?
3 LSL ScotRail livery Mk3s, DBSO 9709, loco 37409 on rear supplying ETS. Load 4 total.

Last edited:

SuperLuke2334

Established Member
https://www.railadvent.co.uk/2024/0...aJrkD-_2uKOalC-1zpe90-Jy1WYl3HFDc2jkb5oFM10Rg
Locomotive Services Group are to run two trips next week on Scotland's world-famous Jacobite Line.

The day return journeys from Fort William to Mallaig and return will take in the stunning views of scenery in Scotland, crossing bridges and viaducts, such as the Glenfinnan Viaduct, which was of course made famous for featuring in the Harry Potter films.

Departing Fort William at 08:50 for an 84 mile round trip to Mallaig, the train will be made up of LSL's ‘Push Pull' ScotRail set of carriages, which will feature an on-board buffet.

There will be a short break in Mallaig between 10:50 and 11:30 to allow passengers time to explore before departing for Fort William, arriving back at 13:20.

Tickets will be available as a ‘pay on the day' basis priced at £40 per adult and £20 for those under 16s.

Timings are already available and can be found by clicking the links below:

2024MON08APRUPDATEDThe West HighlanderFort William - MallaigTimings?YesTractionDieselLoco37409,37667

2024TUE09APR
UPDATEDThe West HighlanderFort William - MallaigTimings?YesTractionDieselLoco37409,37667

We are delighted to present a day return journey over the world-famous West Highland Jacobite line, featuring some of the most spectacular scenery in Scotland as we cross magnificent bridges and viaducts offering views of tumbling waterfalls, peaceful lochs, and the Isle of Skye.

D6130

Established Member
Thanks for the responses folks. Nothing sinister then!.....or is it? Perhaps I should have posted this in the 'Speculative Discussion' forum.

12LDA28C

Established Member
Thanks for the responses folks. Nothing sinister then!.....or is it? Perhaps I should have posted this in the 'Speculative Discussion' forum.

Nothing 'speculative' about it. It's pretty obvious why that set is going up there.

4 LSL ScotRail livery Mk3s, DBSO 9709, loco 37409 on rear supplying ETS.

Three Mk3s plus the DBSO. Load four altogether.

Iskra

Established Member
Time to wipe the floor with West Coast
I’m not sure it will, they don’t have the brand, mailing list, a steam loco or the ‘Harry Potter-style’ compartment stock. The Friday Charter and Staycation Express both failed to strike a chord and were quietly discontinued when they tried to operate away from their traditional spheres of operations. The Intercity brand is withering on the vine. Their previous booking policies are off-putting for many.

It’s quite possibly more about winding WCRC at Carnforth up, than a serious attempt at running a meaningful Jacobite replacement?

Last edited:

12LDA28C

Established Member
I’m not sure it will, they don’t have the brand, mailing list, a steam loco or the ‘Harry Potter-style’ compartment stock. The Friday Charter and Staycation Express both failed to strike a chord and were quietly discontinued when they tried to operate away from their traditional spheres of operations. The Intercity brand is withering on the vine. Their previous booking policies are off-putting for many.

It’s quite possibly more about winding WCRC at Carnforth up, than a serious attempt at running a meaningful Jacobite replacement?

The Intercity-marketed tour I was on at the weekend seemed pretty successful and as for 'winding WCRC up', you're clearly assuming that LSL have decided to run this train off their own bat, rather than having been asked to provide some kind of service by NR or ScotRail?

Iskra

Established Member
The Intercity-marketed tour I was on at the weekend seemed pretty successful and as for 'winding WCRC up', you're clearly assuming that LSL have decided to run this train off their own bat, rather than having been asked to provide some kind of service by NR or ScotRail?
That was a fantastic value tour, in a great location and I’m glad it was successful, but it isn’t representative: previously advertised tours were cancelled (presumably) due to low bookings and they have subsequently withdrawn from offering a full season of tours, leaving Intercity as the poor relation in the LSL stable of brands.

If it was Scotrail or NR behind this, you’d expect that normal National Rail tickets would be valid.

12LDA28C

Established Member
If it was Scotrail or NR behind this, you’d expect that normal National Rail tickets would be valid.

Really? It seems a pretty good idea to me that some kind of charter train runs, as hundreds of people turning up for the timetabled ScotRail DMU and being left behind isn't going to do wonders for Scotrail's reputation.

Iskra

Established Member
Really? It seems a pretty good idea to me that some kind of charter train runs, as hundreds of people turning up for the timetabled ScotRail DMU and being left behind isn't going to do wonders for Scotrail's reputation.
I can see what you're saying, but some of the Jacobite passengers will decide not to travel to the area at all as they will not view the experience as the same with diesel traction. Others may decline to travel on the day if the weather is inclement (which it often is) since they will no longer have a costly pre-booking to incentivise them to travel regardless, others may naturally spread out across the other timetabled services (yes, I know it's not many but it would still dilute numbers). If extra capacity were needed and it was being supplied at taxpayer expense, I'd fully expect a longer train to run in the path of an existing Scotrail service, at Scotrail fares. I see no reason why an outside company should compete against Scotrail's own farebox revenue, paid for at Scotrail's own (and the taxpayers) expense. That would be a ridiculous situation, that would be difficult for anyone to justify.

zwk500

Veteran Member
LSL are commercially quite switched on in my experience, they wouldn't have waited to be asked if there were potential passengers in the offing.
LSL also have form for winding WCRC up specifically at Fort William.

12LDA28C

Established Member
I can see what you're saying, but some of the Jacobite passengers will decide not to travel to the area at all as they will not view the experience as the same with diesel traction. Others may decline to travel on the day if the weather is inclement (which it often is) since they will no longer have a costly pre-booking to incentivise them to travel regardless, others may naturally spread out across the other timetabled services (yes, I know it's not many but it would still dilute numbers). If extra capacity were needed and it was being supplied at taxpayer expense, I'd fully expect a longer train to run in the path of an existing Scotrail service, at Scotrail fares. I see no reason why an outside company should compete against Scotrail's own farebox revenue, paid for at Scotrail's own (and the taxpayers) expense. That would be a ridiculous situation, that would be difficult for anyone to justify.

At no point did I suggest a charter train should be provided 'at taxpayers expense'.

LSL also have form for winding WCRC up specifically at Fort William.

And vice-versa, as far as I'm aware.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
this looks like top flight charter train ordure housing - I don't like the political position of the fella who owns LSL but this gets top marks from me!

Royston Vasey

Established Member
They'll even think it's Scotrail's own heritage train, given it has Scotrail all over it.

Video of it departing Crewe from the Railcam Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/share/r/9BspM6FtuB27mxpv/

12LDA28C

Established Member
It's a shame it leaves Fort William over an hour before the 'Sleeper' arrives but if that's the only path available there's not much that an be done about that...

John Bishop

It would be interesting to know what ScotRail think of LSL using their brand, and in their operating area where they provide the regular service trains.
Probably breathing a sigh of relief that LSL are going to partly solve their overcrowding issue that’s forthcoming. There’s no spare sets or crew to do anything about it, so LSL will be doing them a favour to avoid bad press etc.