• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

5Z37, 06 43 LSL empty stock Crewe HS-Tom na Faire depot today.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

trainmania100

Established Member
Seeing a lot of memes about battles at fort William Im guessing this is related. Did two trains run on the same path or something ? I can't seem to find anything in this thread that directly relates to what I'm reading. Or is it just about lsl using the Jacobite paths that wcr have

bleeder4

Seeing a lot of memes about battles at fort William Im guessing this is related. Did two trains run on the same path or something ? I can't seem to find anything in this thread that directly relates to what I'm reading. Or is it just about lsl using the Jacobite paths that wcr have
WCR ran an empty train in their usual Jacobite slot today. LSL ran their own train in the earlier path that had been given to them. The 2 trains, both top and tailed by Class 37s, passed at Arisaig. 4 Class 37s at Arisaig!

12LDA28C

Established Member

I answered this in post #50. LSL aren't using the Jacobite path.

Krokodil

Established Member
Nothing so dramatic, LSL used the path that would otherwise have been used by the Royal Scotsman.

Do LSL accept card payments for travel or do I need to get some cash out for tomorrow?

alexl92

Established Member
No. LSL are using the Royal Scotsman path which is around 90 minutes earlier from Fort William in the morning. The Jacobite path is owned by WCRC so is not available for use by another TOC.

LSL's 47s are Green Circle MU operation which is similar to Blue Star but not the same, which as I understand it is why 37409 cannot currently work with the DBSO.
Even 47712? As I understand it, Lady Di is the only 47 they have that can work in multiple with that set… happy to be corrected tho.

Forty29

Just read on a P&J Scottish newspaper website loadings were "quite healthy" with at least one coach full of "trainspotters" including Francis B the internet blogger bloke. There was also a pic of the interior of a MK3 coach with the caption " inside the 37!"

12LDA28C

Established Member
Even 47712? As I understand it, Lady Di is the only 47 they have that can work in multiple with that set… happy to be corrected tho.

Yes, even 47712. 47712 can operate in multiple with the rest of the LSL Class 47 fleet. Interestingly, the DBSO can also control more than one compatible loco on the rear of the train, if those locos are in multi.

Do we have any word on today’s loadings?

It was quoted on Facebook that 61 passengers were carried yesterday, including 'Francis Bourgeois', apparently.

Last edited:

Iskra

Established Member
It was quoted on Facebook that 61 passengers were carried yesterday, including 'Francis Bourgeois', apparently.
Thank you for the very specific information, although that number could be adequately catered for by 2 carriages, I don’t think it’s too bad considering the short notice, difficulty getting there and circumstances. Presumably loadings are better today? I am envious: doing that line in those nice LSL carriages with 37’s on must have been a real treat.

Francis is a nice guy and hopefully he helps promote the line and classic traction (further).

Do we know if any of the Scotrail DMU services were busier than usual?

IslandDweller

Many of the forward bookings for the Jacobite are from tour operators, who include a ride on the train as park of their package. I know that at least one of them is extremely frustrated and unimpressed with the shenanigans at West Coast. They've got thousands of guests across the 2024 season who have booked a package, expecting the train ride as part of the tour, and now (through no fault of their tour operator who marketed this in good faith) they won't get that part of their package.
If a rival train operator is able ot offer a product that is "similar enough" to the Jacobite (most tour company passengers are not rail experts and don't know the specifics of different carriage types) they may be able to take over those bulk contracts. My only doubt is that if LSL can only have the Royal Scotsman path, that makes for a very early start, perhaps too early for many tour groups.

12LDA28C

Established Member
Many of the forward bookings for the Jacobite are from tour operators, who include a ride on the train as park of their package. I know that at least one of them is extremely frustrated and unimpressed with the shenanigans at West Coast. They've got thousands of guests across the 2024 season who have booked a package, expecting the train ride as part of the tour, and now (through no fault of their tour operator who marketed this in good faith) they won't get that part of their package.
If a rival train operator is able ot offer a product that is "similar enough" to the Jacobite (most tour company passengers are not rail experts and don't know the specifics of different carriage types) they may be able to take over those bulk contracts. My only doubt is that if LSL can only have the Royal Scotsman path, that makes for a very early start, perhaps too early for many tour groups.

I'm not sure I'd call an 0852 departure from Fort William a 'very early start' but that would depend on where the tour group was staying the night before - if it was in Fort William then there shouldn't be a problem. More unfortunate is the lack of connection off the Down 'Sleeper'. Who knows if the Jacobite paths may become available if it eventually becomes clear that WCRC will be unable to use them this year, except for running speculative put ultimately fruitless ECS trains in the same path...

Krokodil

Established Member
I'm not sure I'd call an 0852 departure from Fort William a 'very early start' but that would depend on where the tour group was staying the night before - if it was in Fort William then there shouldn't be a problem.
I used to work in the booking office for a tourist railway. The 09:00 train was offered at a discount and even then many passengers would say "oh no, I'm on holiday, I'll barely be out of bed". Tour groups generally went for later trains. Before my time an 08:30 was sometimes offered, again at a discount but you'd only offer it a decent while in advance otherwise you'd never sell it.

The Ffestiniog used to run a diesel at 08:40, again at an "early bird" discount.

Iskra

Established Member
The LSL 37 set is running again this Friday, 0850 departure from Fort William to Mallaig, £40 return.