• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

67023 and 027

Status
Not open for further replies.

train_lover

Does anyone know if the ex Colas 67s have emerged out of Toton yet in their new livery yet?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Does anyone know if the ex Colas 67s have emerged out of Toton yet in their new livery yet?
A search of flickr suggests not. It would seem inconceivable that they could emerge out of Toton in a new livery without a picture appearing shortly afterwards. You would also think that GBRf would want to be first to show off the locomotives on their social media sites.

Pkh72

Both 67’s are currently at Rugby. They left Toton in full RHTT livery (filthy) a week or so ago

JonathanH

Veteran Member
They are still in the Colas Rail TOPS code as well (according to lists that get posted on gen groups) so the transfer to GBRf operation doesn't appear to have happened yet.

train_lover

I'm sure the move was meant to happen a few weeks ago! Has anyone heard what livery they'll be in once transfered?

If anything they’ll need a bit of attention works wise too, as during the 2021 leaf busting campaign they suffered several failures on the Swindon RHTT circuit.

On Moderation
I'm sure the move was meant to happen a few weeks ago! Has anyone heard what livery they'll be in once transfered?
The first question that needs to be asked is are they even transferring to GBRf? I haven’t seen anything from a reliable source to say that.

D365

Veteran Member
The first question that needs to be asked is are they even transferring to GBRf? I haven’t seen anything from a reliable source to say that.
Agreed. Better to wait for official confirmation rather than speculate.

ExRes

Established Member
100% are going to GB

They are to be used on the Cally sleeper. This free up the 66 currently used to drag the 73s about to return to freight

Are you able to give a link to any official announcement? I've seen a 'claim' elsewhere that they became GBRf locos in early December, they didn't though, as for the sleeper does the 67 not exceed the RA limit on parts of the route?

zwk500

Veteran Member
Are you able to give a link to any official announcement? I've seen a 'claim' elsewhere that they became GBRf locos in early December, they didn't though, as for the sleeper does the 67 not exceed the RA limit on parts of the route?
The 67s have operated on the sleeper when EWS/DB had the contract (not sure which it was at the time). They do exceed RA, but have authority to travel over line subject to restrictions at the various bridges.

Signal_Box

And cast iron brake blocks to reduce wear, also with restrictions of speed to as low as 5mph over certain structures.

They’ll also need RETB as well I think, EWS had two or three locos to the sleeper spec back in the day 008 being one.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
And cast iron brake blocks to reduce wear, also with restrictions of speed to as low as 5mph over certain structures.

They’ll also need RETB as well I think, EWS had two or three locos to the sleeper spec back in the day 008 being one.
67004, 67007, 67009 and 67011 were the RETB / Cast Iron brake block locomotives (with 67030 also having RETB). They only needed those features to work the Fort William portion. In the same way, only certain 66s with RETB work the Fort William portion now whereas any 66 can go to Inverness.

Last edited:

If we assume the rumours are correct, do we think they will just run the 67's on ,say the Ft Bill, beds using one with one as spare and keep the 73/66's on the Aberdeen/Inverness sleepers as i can see having a 66 at Inverness in the day MAY find some other work whereas short notice freight work at Ft William would be unlikely

JonathanH

Veteran Member
If we assume the rumours are correct, do we think they will just run the 67's on ,say the Ft Bill, beds using one with one as spare and keep the 73/66's on the Aberdeen/Inverness sleepers as i can see having a 66 at Inverness in the day MAY find some other work whereas short notice freight work at Ft William would be unlikely
If we assume the rumours are correct, a single 73 is more than capable of running the Aberdeen sleeper with the two 67s deployed to run Inverness and Fort William on their own released, as necessary, by a pair of 73s for exams. 66s can manage a number of months at a time at present. The whole point would be to remove any need to use 66s.

However, the operational transfer doesn't appear to have happened and new couplers will be needed for the 67s to haul the sleeper directly. There is very little advantage to a period of 67+73 operation.

Last edited:

Signal_Box

67004, 67007, 67009 and 67011 were the RETB / Cast Iron brake block locomotives (with 67030 also having RETB). They only needed those features to work the Fort William portion. In the same way, only certain 66s with RETB work the Fort William portion now whereas any 66 can go to Inverness.

Thanks for that, I forgot about the RETB fitted 66s.

On Moderation
If we assume the rumours are correct, a single 73 is more than capable of running the Aberdeen sleeper with the two 67s deployed to run Inverness and Fort William on their own released, as necessary, by a pair of 73s for exams. 66s can manage a number of months at a time at present. The whole point would be to remove any need to use 66s.

However, the operational transfer doesn't appear to have happened and new couplers will be needed for the 67s to haul the sleeper directly. There is very little advantage to a period of 67+73 operation.
The more logical way of doing it - assuming the rumours are correct - would be for the 67s to do the Inverness and Aberdeen portions with the RETB fitted 73s remaining on the Fort Bill leg. That removes the need to fit the 67s with RETB and modified brake blocks for the West Highland.

FOCTOC

They 100% are GBRf locos now. Also 100% are the knackered wheelsets under both locos. You won't see them doing anything for GB till something has been done about those.

On Moderation
67023 is now leased to GBRf and is in the GBKP pool. 67027 has not transferred (on paper) as yet.

Speed43125

They will be used on the Inverness portion is the latest info I have.
Is it going to 67+73, or are we going back to the mark.3 days of having a single 67 on it?

I'd personally be a little surprised if they bothered to sort the coupling out on the 67s as well?

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Is it going to 67+73, or are we going back to the mark.3 days of having a single 67 on it?

I'd personally be a little surprised if they bothered to sort the coupling out on the 67s as well?
A single 67 with the couplers changed would be quite capable of hauling the sleeper portion on its own.

Given the 67s are reported to need work, the couplers might as well be changed at the same time as the operational benefits are obvious.

JohnMcL7

I'm a bit hazy on the details since it's a while after there was a lot of discussion on the mk5s but I thought the locomotives would need more than just the couplers and there's electronics needed on the loco as well to communicate with the carriages via the 61 way jumper cable. Also going down to just the 67 would mean no redundancy but I don't know if that's a requirement.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Will they have a new colour scheme at all? (New livery)
Given how they are currently painted in the livery of Colas Rail, it would be somewhat odd if they don't get a repaint.

If the suggestions about their intended use are correct they could well look like this.

Jacob Porrett

On Moderation
Given how they are currently painted in the livery of Colas Rail, it would be somewhat odd if they don't get a repaint.

If the suggestions about their intended use are correct they could well look like this.
Ah right ok. Thank you for the information.

hello

How come the 73’s are being replaced on some of the sleeper services?

fgwrich

Established Member

The slight irony with that loco is that it's since subsequently been repainted into standard DB Red livery since the termination of the contract with DB.

If anyone hasn't seen a 73 work in tandem with a 67 before, the Brush refurbished one's can do and have operated in such a way pre Mk5 on the sleeper.

Status
Not open for further replies.