• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

68's on the Fife circle

Status
Not open for further replies.

pieguyrob

I will be speng next Wednesday morning in Edinburgh, and would like to get both morning class 68's working the Fife circle. What is the best way of achieving this?

I am travelling from Preston to Kirkcaldy on the sleeper train, and catching the first train from Kircaldy back to Edinburgh. I will be spending the afternoon in Glasgow.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Easiest ways on an evening but I haven't done the early ones, so if your planning for them, my info will be of little use but will still post, the way, I have done it.
Let the 17.08 one go snd get the 17.20 to Dunfermline Town, dash off that and quickly over to the Northbound platform and get the next unit down to Inverkiething. 45 mins fester their will see you catch the returning 17.08 back to Waverley.
It maybe of no use to you but like i said I've never done the early ones before.

Kite159

Veteran Member
The sleeper arrives into Kirkcaldy at 05:20, a crazy idea might be

Kirkcaldy 05:55 to North Queensferry 06:22 (or Inverkeithing)
North Queensferry 06:36 to Cardenden 07:08
Cardenden 07:35 to Dunfermline Queen Margaret 07:53 (First Loco hauled set)
Dunfermline Queen Margaret 08:08 to Edinburgh 08:51 (2nd Loco hauled set)

I've used Dunfermline as an example, where any of the stations on the inner circle will be suitable as the 2nd cat follows the 1st cat.

Although that won't be cheap if you are paying full price for fares

I've done both morning services before when arriving on the Lowlander by going to Inverkeithing and linear hopping at South Gyle. In my experience the first tends to be busier.

Last edited:

pieguyrob

Ok. I was looking at diagrams for 2018 and comparing with equivalent departures on goigle maps at the various stations.
I've bought a ticket to Kirkcaldy, purely cos thats the least time festering IF everythings running on time.
Does it make it easier if I get of off at Inverkeithing, and get a taxi back to Edinburgh Waverley?
My morning itinery is subject to change for the 2 cats.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Ok. I was looking at diagrams for 2018 and comparing with equivalent departures on goigle maps at the various stations.
I've bought a ticket to Kirkcaldy, purely cos thats the least time festering IF everythings running on time.
Does it make it easier if I get of off at Inverkeithing, and get a taxi back to Edinburgh Waverley?
My morning itinery is subject to change for the 2 cats.

Assuming the train calls at Inverkeithing, as sometimes if there is nobody booked to alight the train won't necessary stop [especially if running late]. I would be surprised if anybody else gets off at Kirkcaldy with you.

pieguyrob

On the day the second set was cancelled. The one hauled by 68007. Thankfully the one carriage I need for haulage is out.

pieguyrob

Certainly was Cardenden to Edinburgh. Both trains that followed it, the cat and whatever unit were cancelled, so it was pointless getting off. Do like the sound they make! Had 3 for haulage now.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Certainly was Cardenden to Edinburgh. Both trains that followed it, the cat and whatever unit were cancelled, so it was pointless getting off. Do like the sound they make! Had 3 for haulage now.

Bet it got busy closer to Edinburgh, I assume you took a seat in the leading coach for the max noise.

pieguyrob

Yes to both. It sounded great going through the tunnels! Couldn't believe it got so rammed, though most people got off at South Goyle and Haymarket.

pieguyrob

Haway man! It was reet gud! I used to go to college at south shields nautical tech. Used to luve round the cirner Chi metro. Back in the days when swan hunters was still open at wallsend. Believe it has since closed.

Established Member
Nice to hear, Rob. Glad you enjoyed yasel, Sounded like you had a canny day like.
Aye Swans closed a good while back.
Chichester's a canny hike from my hoose.

alexf380

Established Member
Now there's an interesting idea!
In terms of Fife circles though, yes it's still possible. 17:20 Edinburgh to Dunfermline Queen Mags gives a 10 minute connection onto the unit southbound. Change at Inverkeithing for the other loco into Edinburgh. Jobs a goodun.

Oscar46016

Now there's an interesting idea!
In terms of Fife circles though, yes it's still possible. 17:20 Edinburgh to Dunfermline Queen Mags gives a 10 minute connection onto the unit southbound. Change at Inverkeithing for the other loco into Edinburgh. Jobs a goodun.

Thanks Alex!

gazthomas

Established Member
I think it's doable southbound
How about 6.34 from Edinburgh Waverley to Haymarket 9.38
6.55 Vomitter (HST?) to York 9.40
10.29 York to Liverpool Lime Street 12.32
12.47 Liverpool Lime Street to London Euston 15.02
Your pick of the northbound services out of London Marylebone 16.15, 17.15, 18.15

There's definitely scope to build more contingency in and another trip in TPEx later in the day or some tweaks at the start of the day and a change at Newcastle to try out a 397

Northbound looks very doable too. Southbound 68 into Marlylebone, up to Liverpool, Manchester or Leeds for TPEx then up to Edinburgh for the evening Scotrail services

Last edited:

Kite159

Veteran Member
There's definitely scope to build more contingency in and another trip in TPEx later in the day or some tweaks at the start of the day and a change at Newcastle to try out a 397

The 397s are only on the West Coast route, it's the 802s on the East Coast for TPE :)

xotGD

Established Member
OK, let's set the challenge a bit harder: Based on the current 11 diagrams, what is the maximum number of 68s you could have in a single day - must include at least one from each of the three regions.

alexf380

Established Member
OK, let's set the challenge a bit harder: Based on the current 11 diagrams, what is the maximum number of 68s you could have in a single day - must include at least one from each of the three regions.
Well, I put together a rough idea for something like that. I managed 7 out of the 11 available.

Attachments

• Class 68 Challenge.xlsx
    10.7 KB · Views: 16

xotGD

Established Member
Well, I put together a rough idea for something like that. I managed 7 out of the 11 available.
Very good. I reckon you could squeeze in an extra Chiltern turn by only going to Solihull from Moor St, then a couple of Dorridge leaps.

Can anyone add the 4th TPE to make 9?

alexf380

Established Member
Yes, good idea there.
I tried to get back to Manchester for the 4th TP set later at night on the 20:34 Scarborough to Manchester but I can't get to Stalybridge in time to intercept it.

alexf380

Established Member
I've done it in under 10 before, but I'm not sure if that was good fortune or good planning. If that doesn't scupper it then one of the connections on TPE surely will, but in theory it should work!

Status
Not open for further replies.