• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

73's Blue Star

Status
Not open for further replies.

delt1c

Established Member
The 73's as built were capable to work (in diesel mode) with other Blue Star fitted classes. Seen occasional photos with 33's but was wondering if anyone has knowledge of them working with other diesel classes.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

eastwestdivide

Established Member
Would be pretty unusual. For most of their life, they were confined to the SR, and on most of the SR, it was unusual to see any main line diesels apart from 33s, 47s (no blue star). Cue a list of exceptions…

Graham H

I always assumed pretty much any diesel could work with another in tandem with separate drivers ? Anyway, I am sure I recall a class 45/73 combination in a book called The Southern since 1948. I think it was at Northfleet cement works but cant find my copy of the book right now.

Edit....on second thoughts it might have been a 47+45 combo with the 47 fitted for slow speed working. Anyway to make up for it Mark Pike took a photo of 66731 with 73128 near Basingstoke on 25 Nov 2015 hauling a rail treatment train to Tonbridge. Whether the 73 was dit isnt mentioned. I wont post in case I infringe copyright but its on http://www.railway-centre.com/

Last edited:

Whistler40145

Established Member
I remember when on a Pathfinder Railtour that 73128 and 73131 were taking over at Bescot and the track split under one loco, it was pulled back and moved into another line, the tour worked forward with a 37 in multiple with the remaining 73

delt1c

Established Member
Would be pretty unusual. For most of their life, they were confined to the SR, and on most of the SR, it was unusual to see any main line diesels apart from 33s, 47s (no blue star). Cue a list
25’s used to visit as did 37’s both blue star

eastwestdivide

Established Member
25’s used to visit as did 37’s both blue star
Yes but generally on out and back workings from their “home” regions. Multi-ing with a 73 would be very unusual, at least in the pre-sectorisation era.
After that though, weren’t there some 37s working out of Hither Green?? That was a period when I kind of lost interest

Whistler40145

Established Member
Yes but generally on out and back workings from their “home” regions. Multi-ing with a 73 would be very unusual, at least in the pre-sectorisation era.
After that though, weren’t there some 37s working out of Hither Green?? That was a period when I kind of lost interest
Trains to the Isle of Grain could produce 37+73 pairings in multiple

D365

Veteran Member
I would have been surprised if there hadn't been a 37+73 pairing seen in services.

Wikipedia used to claim that, when they were built concurrently, Class 20+73 pairs were seen whilst the locomotives were being delivered.

Grumpy

I would have been surprised if there hadn't been a 37+73 pairing seen in services.

Wikipedia used to claim that, when they were built concurrently, Class 20+73 pairs were seen whilst the locomotives were being delivered.
Alan Hart posted a photo on flickr taken by Eddie Bellass of a class 73 coupled to a class 20 passing through Earlestown on a delivery run. Apologies for not including a link but I am posting this using an old Kindle with poor hotel wifi and it's a nightmare

Of course that doesn't necessarily mean they were in multiple

Whistler40145

Established Member
I always remember A1A Charters Jewel in the Crown railtour, 31439 Preston to Stratford-upon-Avon, 37207+31439 in multiple Stratford-upon-Avon to Worcester Shrub Hill via Kidderminster and 20075 nose first in multiple with 37207+31439 to Stafford via the Lickey Incline, Walsall and Cannock

Grumpy

Alan Hart posted a photo on flickr taken by Eddie Bellass of a class 73 coupled to a class 20 passing through Earlestown on a delivery run. Apologies for not including a link but I am posting this using an old Kindle with poor hotel wifi and it's a nightmare

Of course that doesn't necessarily mean they were in multiple
link

Strathclyder

Established Member
I always remember A1A Charters Jewel in the Crown railtour, 31439 Preston to Stratford-upon-Avon, 37207+31439 in multiple Stratford-upon-Avon to Worcester Shrub Hill via Kidderminster and 20075 nose first in multiple with 37207+31439 to Stafford via the Lickey Incline, Walsall and Cannock
This is the badger (linked image copyright of Martin Loader). Can confirm 20128 was the Chopper used here though, from Flickr and Six Bells searches.

What I'd give to hear that storming the Lickey!

randyrippley

Established Member
which begs a question..........
how often did electrodiesels get to Weymouth in place of a 33/1?
and could a TC unit control multiple EDs? You'd need two if a 33/1 stand-in was required

Richard Scott

Established Member
which begs a question..........
how often did electrodiesels get to Weymouth in place of a 33/1?
and could a TC unit control multiple EDs? You'd need two if a 33/1 stand-in was required
First question I expect is rarely, second I have seen two 73s pushing an 8-TC set so guessing answer to that is yes.

Richard Scott

Established Member
I've had a 33/0 in multiple with a 73/1, connected with Blue Star multiple working, on a Pathfinder Railtour in the South East, 73136 and 33051 Guildford to Kensington Olympia via Leatherhead and Epsom
That would be on diesel, with a 33/1 would expect it to be on Southern system so could run on electric.

D1537

I've seen - I can't remember where, but I'm guessing in a book - an old photo of a 73 and a 15 working a cross-London freight. Whether they were in multiple or not I don't know, but they would certainly have been able to.

Southernblue80

There was picture that came up on a Facebook group of two 20s that had worked with 73 down to Eastleigh in the 80s.

I wish I could find the picture again. Does anyone else remember the working or the picture for that matter.

It had to be one of the rarer workings in the 80s. I seem to recollect that the 73 had failed and had been towed back by the 20s so perhaps not working together.

Status
Not open for further replies.