• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

8-hour delay then cancelled

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/tyne/6652615.stm

Can you imagine sitting on a train - say, the Highland Chieftain, for 8 hours - then, when due to arrive in Inverness at 8pm and you're still at King's Cross, be told that it's cancelled? Nope, neither can I!

So, the next time you hear someone moaning at a delayed or cancelled train, you can tell them it could have been a lot worse! ;)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The Snap

Established Member
I spent over 4 hours waiting for the bag to come through after landing in Manchester - the hatch had frozen shut apparently...there was a right funny smell at the time...:lol:

Oracle

Established Member
Flight delayed to Ibiza several hours through engine problem at Gatwick, then delays on plane because of air controller's strike in France, and then two idiotic young men disappeared into the terminal when the crew allowed people off whilst we were waiting for ATC clearance. Their g/fs made it back to the plane with their passports but the guys went boozing despite being told NOT to go too far, and never heard a myriad of calls for them to get bck on board. Captain then said he couldn't wait any longer and they had to wait for the crew to send their passports back on a return flight and come out the next day. That was a humungous delay in total!

mbonwick

Established Member
Fortunately I have never experienced delays when flying......

...I've never flown :D :lol:

ChrisCooper

Established Member
I've only had a minor delay when flying from East Midlands to Jersey last year with BMI Baby, which was due to the plane arriving late from it's previous flight, although when it came in it was empty, and also a 737-300 rarther than the booked 737-500, so I expect it was infact a replacement. It was also delayed on it's next flight from Jersey to Manchester. That is a problem with the low cost airlines, since one way they keep costs down is by having quick turn arounds (usually just enought to get passengers and bags off, quick clean and check, and get it loaded for the next trip, oviously fueling whilst this is going on) so any delays tend to have knock on effect with later flights, infact I expect the plane was running late all day. We were only about 10mins late though, and being quite lightly loaded boarding was very quick (barely found our seats and sat down and we were pushing back). The weather was quite bad though, so quite a lot of flights were delayed. We expected delays or worse coming back though, since the weather was awful, especially the night before we came back, with strong wind and bad visability, and the newspaper flight from the mainland was about 5 hours late, but it cleared up before we left the hotel, other than a downpour whilst we were checking in, and we were bang on time. Landing at East Midlands was rough though (got a video of it in my youtube link). Still, good overall experiance and I'd use them again, especially since unlike most low cost airlines, they allow you to prebook seats (17F, just behind the wing). Definitly beat the alternative of long train journey followed by a few hours on a Ferry (particularly since a lot of ferries were cancelled due to the weather).

Dennis

Established Member
This subject is something the passenger railway industry really must start ramming down the travelling public's throat at every opportunity; punctuality of trains is significantly better than that of planes.

Having said that, the punctulity of inter-city TOC's is not particularly impressive. Consider that for a commuter making 10 journeys per week, a 90% punctuality figure means they will be more than 10 minutes late at least one a week.

Status
Not open for further replies.